PDA

View Full Version : Gios blue PPG or RAL #

merckx
02-06-2016, 06:14 AM
Does anyone have this information available? I would like to find the closest PPG color, or RAL powder color that is a match for Gios blue. It may be that only god has this information available as it appears that he may have had a hand in creating it.

paredown
02-06-2016, 08:17 AM
I remember the guys on CR discussing this. Jim Cunningham had a thread a long while ago on the variations of the blue, and a recent thread didn't come to any real conclusions, although there is some possibility that the original color had cobalt in it, making it hard to match with modern formulations....

There were iterations though--a bit like Molteni 'orange'--and possibly happened around the time they switched from the blue to white panel scheme.

Thread is here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/classic-rendezvous-lightweight-vintage-bicycles/gios$20blue/classic-rendezvous-lightweight-vintage-bicycles/y29Pwgor6fo/tFQYWePHB4cJ

An older thread mentions "I checked the archives and found a 2003 post from Joe Bell recommending House of Kolor SG110 Marine Blue over red primer"--but again, the conversation ended up not being conclusive--and it sounds as if this is the 'Brooklyn' team blue--a deeper color that goes toward purple.

ultraman6970
02-06-2016, 09:39 AM
They did white frames too you know, you can change that for white pearl and would looks awesome too.

Gsinill
02-06-2016, 09:50 AM
I remember the guys on CR discussing this. Jim Cunningham had a thread a long while ago on the variations of the blue, and a recent thread didn't come to any real conclusions, although there is some possibility that the original color had cobalt in it, making it hard to match with modern formulations....

There were iterations though--a bit like Molteni 'orange'--and possibly happened around the time they switched from the blue to white panel scheme.

Thread is here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/classic-rendezvous-lightweight-vintage-bicycles/gios$20blue/classic-rendezvous-lightweight-vintage-bicycles/y29Pwgor6fo/tFQYWePHB4cJ

An older thread mentions "I checked the archives and found a 2003 post from Joe Bell recommending House of Kolor SG110 Marine Blue over red primer"--but again, the conversation ended up not being conclusive--and it sounds as if this is the 'Brooklyn' team blue--a deeper color that goes toward purple.

Here it is from bikeforums.net (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/771519-gios-blue.html#post13291266):

I have been trying to find a suitable colour as well for my super record. A google search led me to a forum post asking the same question.
http://www.frameforum.org/forum2/ind...showtopic=2985

A quote from the thread:

See if you can get some House of Kolor SG-110 Marine Blue. It's
manufactured by Valspar paint company. Spray over a red primer base and you
have Gios blue. Spray over a white base and you have Colnago blue. Clear
coat over everything. It's as simple as that.

Joe Bell
San Diego

merckx
02-06-2016, 12:46 PM
It sounds like it may be easier to purchase a Gios, a blue one mind you. Thank you for the replies.

GParkes
02-06-2016, 04:27 PM
If you have the frame and it's that blue now, but want to re-paint it, then bring it to a good body shop. They should have a spectrometer to put on it and could match the paint, or be very close depending upon how well the spectrometer can capture the color on a round tube.

merckx
02-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Don't have a frame yet. Just contemplating colors for a new one.

thirdgenbird
02-06-2016, 05:26 PM
I have an unhealthy desire to own a vintage gios refinished in pastel purple with period decals under clear, a vintage super record group and a natural cambium c15.

merckx
02-06-2016, 06:54 PM
I have an unhealthy desire to own a vintage gios refinished in pastel purple with period decals under clear, a vintage super record group and a natural cambium c15.

That is not unhealthy at all.

MattTuck
02-06-2016, 07:38 PM
It sounds like it may be easier to purchase a Gios, a blue one mind you. Thank you for the replies.

This is the kind of comment that makes me laugh.

To be fair, (and this next part is spoken as a lay person), even if you get the color right, I don't think you have any guarantee that it will look 100% right. Different things about reflectivity, refractivity, and probably some other science sounding stuff can affect how a color looks. Especially true in different lights. The difference between something in full sun and in a low light indoor room can be huge. I have no idea how a painter would assess these characteristics, and even less of an idea how you'd adjust your paint application (assuming certain types of paint and clear coats) to achieve the desired result.

That being said, I think blue is one of the more attractive colors for a bike, so even if you're off by a little bit, you're ok.