PDA

View Full Version : Haven't used downtube shifters in years

91Bear
02-05-2016, 11:56 AM
I've got a Ciocc set up with DA 7700 and downtube shifters. When I am in my granny gear, the cable tension (I assume) pulls the shifter into second gear after awhile. This can be problematic when standing and climbing. Is there something I need to adjust? Is the cable too tight? I would think that tinkering with the cable tension might throw all the shifting out of whack.

Sorry if this seems rather obvious to some of you. It's been 20 years since I've used downtube shifters.

Vinci
02-05-2016, 12:00 PM
It sounds like you're referring to the cassette/freewheel. If that's the case, the shifter slipping can allow the cable to slacken and the rear derailleur to shift to a smaller cog.

You may be able to fix this by simply tightening the mounting screw for the lever.

Usually "granny" refers to the smallest chainring in a triple crank. On a front derailleur, slipping would allow the chain to move to a smaller ring, and if it's already on the granny, it is done moving.

unterhausen
02-05-2016, 12:16 PM
I suppose it's possible that your rear derailleur isn't adjusted right, but usually this is related to the lever friction adjustment. Even indexed shifters need some amount of friction adjustment.

91Bear
02-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Usually "granny" refers to the smallest chainring in a triple crank. On a front derailleur, slipping would allow the chain to move to a smaller ring, and if it's already on the granny, it is done moving.

In my case, I was referring to small sprocket & largest cog. Sorry if it was unclear.

oliver1850
02-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Are you getting a solid click when you shift to the large cog? Does the shifter move forward from the last click position after a bit? Your RD limit screw may be a bit too tight, not allowing the shifter to get fully indexed despite moving far enough to make the shift.

Vinci
02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
In my case, I was referring to small sprocket & largest cog. Sorry if it was unclear.
No problem, that makes the most sense for my first comment.

DA7700 downtube shifters can be set to "index" 9-speed or run in "friction mode" to work with whatever speed.

If you have them set to friction, and they are loose, you can get the "ghost shifting" that you described. This would be a lot harder with them set to index, as each position has a click holding it in place.

If your shifters aren't DA7700, the same settings apply across other brands as well.

dustyrider
02-05-2016, 04:41 PM
I wonder who setup the dt shifters? They might not have a positve click in the lever for each gear if they weren't angled correctly from the start. And you get skipping under load. If you're using the shifters in friction mode tightening them down may help. There is also sound advise above to consider. I'm certain you can figure them out with some trial and error and plenty of libations! Tear into 'em.

redir
02-05-2016, 05:07 PM
You can get ghost shifting from frame flex too. Is it a large frame by any chance?

sw3759
02-05-2016, 05:26 PM
lots of good info already posted above.might double check the hanger alignment too if the other ideas don't help.

Bob Ross
02-05-2016, 08:18 PM
You can get ghost shifting from frame flex too.

^^^this