PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a fitting?

Johnny P
02-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Over my two decades of cycling, I have problems with saddle sores every now and then. It's not a persistent problem, but does keep reoccurring. If I do get one, it is always in the same spot on the same side. It makes me think I might have a leg length discrepancy or I might sit a bit twisted on my seat. Would it be worthwhile to have a fitting to solve this issue? I would do it in an instant if I knew it would work, but I would hate to spend hundreds of dollars and still get saddle sores in the future. Your thoughts? Thanks.

MattTuck
02-05-2016, 10:45 AM
John,

I've got LOTS of thoughts on this, as I've chased sort of similar ghosts as well.

When you say you get the sores reoccurring, I have to ask what that means.

First, there are different types of saddle sores. Some can be caused by irritation of the skin, some by pressure, some by the area not being clean, etc. Are we talking a deep boil type of thing? or a surface irritation? something else?

Second, how often do they crop up? are we talking a couple times a year? a couple times a month? once every couple of years?

The things you should check FIRST are: your shorts (are they too tight/small, is the chamois worn out), your saddle (has it inadvertently shifted either back or nose up, or the padding has deteriorated), your weight (have you gotten heavier), and your flexibility (is it having an impact on your pedaling).

There are times when my left pedal stroke has a hitch in it, due to some imbalance in the hip flexors/glutes, and I get a slide shift at 6'o'clock position. When this happens, I notice more chaffing on that side which leads to folliculitis for me.

If you are otherwise comfortable on the bike, and none of the above issues are present, you may want to consider amped up cleaning of the area. Something like Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine Gluconate) (http://www.walmart.com/ip/48683583?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227036249907&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=57332397098&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=89655107378&veh=sem) is what I'd use, before and after rides.

I will say that one ride of moderate length in a bad pair of shorts is often enough to set the stage for problems in the upcoming days.

Other things to think about. If you have multiple bikes, is the problem arising due to riding one more often? Is your volume, intensity, riding style changes significantly before one of these bouts.

I would only try a fitting after all this other stuff has been ruled out as a potential cause, and even then, I'd go in with the expectation that the fitting would be 50/50 at best, on providing a solution. And quite possibly, could be made worse if the fitter changes other things in your position that are working for you.

cdn_bacon
02-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Well that's about the classiest answer I've ever seen!:hello:

i had a similar question, and mine was more along the lines of....

I understand the concept of chamois creams, but when are people applying them. I commute 30 km each direction, and by day 2 without cream, it starts to chafe. Do the paceliners use cream even on a trainer ride? Just curious how diligent riders are with this stuff. I'm gonna start, pretty much on every ride I think. Was actually just about to search the General Discussion for creams that were recommended.

kramnnim
02-05-2016, 11:59 AM
30 minutes or miles?

cdn_bacon
02-05-2016, 12:07 PM
30km

Johnny P
02-05-2016, 12:20 PM
John,

I've got LOTS of thoughts on this, as I've chased sort of similar ghosts as well.

When you say you get the sores reoccurring, I have to ask what that means.

First, there are different types of saddle sores. Some can be caused by irritation of the skin, some by pressure, some by the area not being clean, etc. Are we talking a deep boil type of thing? or a surface irritation? something else?

Second, how often do they crop up? are we talking a couple times a year? a couple times a month? once every couple of years?

The things you should check FIRST are: your shorts (are they too tight/small, is the chamois worn out), your saddle (has it inadvertently shifted either back or nose up, or the padding has deteriorated), your weight (have you gotten heavier), and your flexibility (is it having an impact on your pedaling).

There are times when my left pedal stroke has a hitch in it, due to some imbalance in the hip flexors/glutes, and I get a slide shift at 6'o'clock position. When this happens, I notice more chaffing on that side which leads to folliculitis for me.

If you are otherwise comfortable on the bike, and none of the above issues are present, you may want to consider amped up cleaning of the area. Something like Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine Gluconate) (http://www.walmart.com/ip/48683583?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227036249907&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=57332397098&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=89655107378&veh=sem) is what I'd use, before and after rides.

I will say that one ride of moderate length in a bad pair of shorts is often enough to set the stage for problems in the upcoming days.

Other things to think about. If you have multiple bikes, is the problem arising due to riding one more often? Is your volume, intensity, riding style changes significantly before one of these bouts.

I would only try a fitting after all this other stuff has been ruled out as a potential cause, and even then, I'd go in with the expectation that the fitting would be 50/50 at best, on providing a solution. And quite possibly, could be made worse if the fitter changes other things in your position that are working for you.

Thanks for the response. I would say I have problems with saddle sores maybe twice in a season. It has usually been a follicle getting irritated so I have a small bump down there. Chamois creams do help. I am definitely tighter on the side where I get the sores. I have been going to a weekly yoga class for years now. That has helped my flexibility. I have three bikes all with similar saddles. My shorts don't look worn, but will keep a close eye on them.

MattTuck
02-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the response. I would say I have problems with saddle sores maybe twice in a season. It has usually been a follicle getting irritated so I have a small bump down there. Chamois creams do help. I am definitely tighter on the side where I get the sores. I have been going to a weekly yoga class for years now. That has helped my flexibility. I have three bikes all with similar saddles. My shorts don't look worn, but will keep a close eye on them.

Another possibility to consider is moisture. If you are riding in the rain, that can sometimes exacerbate friction, even with chamois creams... especially if they aren't very thick.

I'd pay special attention to whether one of the bikes is a trigger. And also, a chamois could be worn out without looking so. Especially if you are a bigger guy (I have no idea if you are), a chamois can be squished, and you can feel it on the bike, but it still looks ok.

Honestly, if it is just once or twice a year, I really doubt it is fit related. If you were getting one every time you rode, that would be something worth looking at fit.

In your case, I'd take a close look at all the stuff I listed and see if anything jumps out at you. Sometimes it is a set of bibs that fit really well, and that you've liked, but the chamois is just gone. or you take a few days off and when you go back to riding, you've tightened up and lost some range of motion that adds a little friction to one part of the pedal stroke. Or you eat greasy for a couple days and your pores are a little more oily than usual and one gets clogged/irritated.

makoti
02-05-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm going to add a question to this. Answer may be helpful to everyone.
I use Chamois creme. There is another product I just heard of. Skin repair creme? Assos makes some that's crazy expensive. Any other brands work? And does this stuff work? Use it all the time?
And to answer the OP, I did a fitting for the exact same reason. I think it was worth it, but the problem hasn't totally gone away. I do, however, like the fit of my bikes. Changed shorts, saddles, cremes. Still have it pop up.

FlashUNC
02-05-2016, 01:30 PM
If it continues to be a recurring problem, I have to ask if you've seen a dermatologist? It may not just be solely because of the bike.

chiasticon
02-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Assos makes some that's crazy expensive.is the Assos chamois creme expensive? I get it from amazon and don't think it's too bad. in line with DZ nuts. I've never tried Chamois Butt'r because I know it had petroleum in it at one point (a no-no), and it may still. tried a few others that I didn't like. Assos is my fave but DZ nuts and Rapha (if you can find it; they had production issues for like a year) are also great.

OP: I agree with MattTuck. if you're only having issues a couple times a year, I doubt a fit will solve the problem. it's probably other random stuff. I get 'em every now and then and usually I can figure out the cause: rode a ton that week, changed fit somehow, super wet rides, etc. if they were chronic and you couldn't ride at all without getting 'em, I'd say get a fit.

cdn_bacon: are you wearing normal kit for your commute or "commuter" clothes? you should be able to handle 60km a day in proper kit, I'd think. unless maybe you let a sweaty chamois sit with bacteria growing in it throughout the day, then throw it back on to ride home? that's no good.

Johnny P
02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
I'm going to add a question to this. Answer may be helpful to everyone.
I use Chamois creme. There is another product I just heard of. Skin repair creme? Assos makes some that's crazy expensive. Any other brands work? And does this stuff work? Use it all the time?
And to answer the OP, I did a fitting for the exact same reason. I think it was worth it, but the problem hasn't totally gone away. I do, however, like the fit of my bikes. Changed shorts, saddles, cremes. Still have it pop up.

As far as chamois creams go, I've use both Assos and dznuts, and bag balm. What I'm using now and is working the best is Desitin. It's for diaper rash and sold in grocery stores in the baby area. It's also cheaper than most chamois creams. It was recommended by my primary care physician, who also bikes when he has the time, and I've been happy using it.

makoti
02-05-2016, 02:50 PM
is the Assos chamois creme expensive? I get it from amazon and don't think it's too bad.

That wasn't very clear of me. The chamois creme is priced ok. It's on par with the Doc's stuff I use, also. Assos skin repair creme is like $28 for a small tube. Not sure what it is supposed to do other than, ya know, repair skin. Just wondering if anyone has used it & if it helps saddle sores heal.

batman1425
02-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Stop riding with underwear on under your bibs.

echelon_john
02-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Worth talking to a dermatologist before a bike fitter on the off chance it's Hidradenitis Suppurativa. If it keeps coming back in the same spot or close-by spots it could merit a look-see and possible treatment.

Pierre
02-05-2016, 03:26 PM
I'm prone to surface chafing on one side as well (top layer of skin gets rubbed off) and area turns red. I've used Assos skin repair gel successfully. I pretty much use the chamois cream all the time (for anything 45min or longer)- a bit on the chamois and a bit on the skin itself where I know I'm prone to chafing.

I've noticed that keeping the chamois's clean is important (duh). I don't have enough bib shorts to just throw them in the laundry and wait until the week is up to clean them all so I just walk right into the shower and wash them while I'm in there. I sometimes get lazy and just rinse them...bad. I believe that this makes the chamois more clingy and increases likelihood of chafing. Make sure they are totally clean AND dry before you use them again. Probably stating the obvious...

Probably too much info here but in-grown hairs really don't help any. Use one of those poufy shower sponges to keep your backside nice and smooth.

makoti
02-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Worth talking to a dermatologist before a bike fitter on the off chance it's Hidradenitis Suppurativa. If it keeps coming back in the same spot or close-by spots it could merit a look-see and possible treatment.

Never heard of this before. Might be worth checking out.

Ralph
02-05-2016, 06:10 PM
I had that same problem for past few years.....couldn't ride two days in a row. Recently solved the problem. I just got tired of buying and trying new stuff, and figured maybe I should consult someone trained to deal with this. After riding for over 40 years, thought I knew what to do....I didn't. And advice from younger riders didn't work for me.

About 10 years ago...after breaking my left leg in a mountain biking accident, I began to get sore spots on my right butt cheek. it was like I was riding with my seat too high for my right leg. Or rather like my left leg was longer.....maybe from growing back from the break. And imaging scan was showing some degenerative changes in my coccyx and hip bones. I bet I went thru 25 seats looking for comfort. Adjusting up and down, tilting up and down, twisting sideways, etc. Dermatologists, creams, colon checked, you name it....I checked. Doc's found nothing.

So last fall....got a fit from a local bike shop whose employees were trained by Andy Pruitt from Boulder I believe.

They discovered I did have one leg longer than another....the one I thought was longer.....but it was the femur bone that was longer, not the tibia. And apparently as I aged, the arch on my right foot began rolling over (flat foot)...effectively making the right leg shorter under power.

For me....the fix was to move my longer left leg cleat back about 3 MM, and put a wedge under my right pronating foot (inside shoe) to keep it more upright under power. This felt a little strange at first, but sorta makes both legs pedal closer to same length. (had it been the tibia longer, maybe would have just shimmed the cleat....not sure....didn't ask him)

This particular fitter said he also had good luck with the Specialized Power saddle for older riders along with the fit (some extra selling at first I thought)....who might need to spread their butt weight over a larger area. Because of it's short narrow nose and somewhat time trial design, I was able to move to a 155 from a 143. That helped some also.

So I know...a big part of my issues were from aging. Degenerative changes which affect us all at some point. But that guy got me able to ride again 4-5 days a week without pain. Criticize all you want about his approach, but it worked for me. I think money well spent.

And BTW....with fit...my saddle went up about 5/8 of an inch for more power and easier on the knees. I'm 74....riding more than ever...with no pain.

MattTuck
02-05-2016, 09:20 PM
^^^^
Ralph's story is what I'd expect from someone who can't ride for multiple days without discomfort. If you're having frequent issues, it is more likely something that is consistent across many rides. That could be position, saddle, etc. and is something that would steer me more toward a fitting to try to resolve the issue.

The O.P.'s issues are only twice a year, which indicates to me that it is less likely to be brought on by something present on many rides. More likely it is something that crops up infrequently. That's why I'm still not too sure that a fit is going to help with his twice a year issue.

I mean, a fit MAY help, but there are other things I'd check off first before spend money. Also, not all fitters are created equal -- we'll leave it at that.

eddief
02-05-2016, 09:48 PM
I started handwashing bike clothes, shorts especially, in Dr Bronners pure castile liquid soap. I actually mix up a big batch with salt and baking soda. Supposedly it rinses out really easily and really well and does not leave any weird chems on your chamois. So far so good. I also changed from Voler shorts with their red sort of shiny chamois to the Aerotech brand that has a more cloth-like chamois and my parts seem to like that approach better.

I used chamois cream religiously for about the last 5 years until thinking I'd try the Aerotech shorts without cream. Don't use cream no more.

Last time I got chafed, I treated the red spot with off the shelf Hibiclens. No issues in the last few year.

Ozrider
02-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Some questions have been asked bit here are a few more

How old are your saddles?
Are the saddles the same make and model or only similar? Similar saddles can still differ enough to cause pressure in a different spot.
Is it possible that one of the saddles has been damaged / sagged or is worn out?
As previously mentioned is it caused by one specific bike? If so check saddle height and setback compared to your other bikes and carefully check the saddle of this bike for damage or wear.
Do you wash your shorts after each ride / return trip ?

I use chamois cream for all on road rides, even if only riding an hour as I find after 2 or 3 days of commuting I have a bit of chafing.
I don't use it on the indoor trainer as there is far less movement and road vibration.

I used to have a problem with chafing on one side, and during a fit and performance testing session it was noted one leg was dominant.
I was told to do lunges and single leg squats to equalise the legs, and with additional core exercises and stretching I no longer have this issue.

The other replies seem pretty sensible and cover a range of remedies.
God luck and I hope you get this sorted.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom