PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Scotland (Loch Lomond)...should I bring my road bike?

Pierre
02-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Hey gang,
Anyone cycled in Scotland? The family is headed over in June and we'll be doing a combo of Scotland and then back to the Canadian east coast (Cape Breton). tons of good riding in Cape Breton so I really would like to have the bike there for that bit but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of dragging the bike along for the first half of the trip as it will be a big group (of golfers, not cylists), with connections, car rentals, etc. At first glance it would appear that the area is pretty good for mountain biking but not so sure about road. Anyone have any experience biking over that way?

sandyrs
02-05-2016, 08:45 AM
In an area that beautiful I can't imagine you would have too hard a time figuring out a decent route. I'd bring it. Haven't been there personally though, sorry.

dumbod
02-05-2016, 08:58 AM
I've ridden across Scotland twice. Once from the west coast to the east coast and once from the English border to the north coast including the length of Loch Lomond.

It's true that the mountain biking is at the forefront. Fort William is one of the mountain bike capitals of the world. But the road riding is pretty good as well. Britain is not as bike friendly as the continent but if you're used to riding in the US, you'll be OK.

The riding is up and down - lots of hills but very few that are really brutal. (Very few does NOT mean none. My favorite name for a pass is just west of Lock Lomond. It's called Rest and Be Thankful.)

It will be very pretty in June - lots of green.

As for the hassle, ymmv. Remember that British cars are small so big bike boxes are a real pain.

let me know if you have any specific questions.

Ken Robb
02-05-2016, 09:47 AM
I would think dragging a bike and riding gear along would be more trouble than it would be worth. Wouldn't you rather spend time in a foreign seeing unique sites of beauty, historical significance and learning the culture than riding a bike like you can do any time at home?

OTOH if your group will be traveling in vans to transport golf bags and there would also be plenty of room for your bike and/or you will stay in one place for most of your visit it might be a better fun vs. hassle analysis.

I've had pretty good luck renting bikes for a day when I'm traveling and need a cycling fix.

guido
02-05-2016, 10:05 AM
The land's end to john o' groats end to end ride is high on my must do trips list. A little voice in my head keeps whispering about LEL too...

I've done city trips to both Edinburgh and Glasgow. The countryside we passed traveling to Glasgow was so inviting. I would jump on any chance to ride in Scotland.

Pierre
02-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Good tips! Yeah, we'll be staying in a single place (Stuckgowan) so it should not be too bad as far as logistics. Hopefully we end up renting or making use of a larger vehicle but worst case, I'm quite willing to throw the EVOC soft bag on the roof with two foam "french fries" underneath to protect vehicle and bike and tie-down the bag via the four lift handles on the inside above each window. It turns out that there is a club 20km away (Loch Lomond Cycling Club) that host some excellent group rides so that works out nicely. God I love the internet!

makoti
02-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Not sure where you'll be, exactly, but I've been tossing this around as an idea this year http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/ 100 miles, overnight. And it's in June.
Price is absolutely right.

tiretrax
02-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Yes. Check Road.CC for routes.

If you dont bring it, you will wish you had. I prove thst too often. Of course, you.can always rent a bike.

donevwil
02-05-2016, 11:13 AM
My then GF and I cycled in Scotland, based in Aberdeen, back in '93. It was an awesome experience. I've ridden in Italy and Switzerland as well and Scotland was just as special. It seemed like in no time we were outside Aberdeen and all by ourselves.

It didn't take long to adjust to riding on the wrong, er, left side of the road, but the roundabouts leaving and re-entering the city. Backwards, multiple lanes, cars, brain fart.

Pierre
02-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Not sure where you'll be, exactly, but I've been tossing this around as an idea this year http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/ 100 miles, overnight. And it's in June.
Price is absolutely right.

Arrrgghhh - it's the week before I arrive. Shoot. That sounds like a blast!