PDA

View Full Version : Copenhagen recommendations?

FlashUNC
02-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Alright peanut gallery. Looks like I'm headed to Copenhagen in April for work. Trying to tack on a day or two at the front or back of the trip to spend some time in the area.

Don't know anyone who's been and while my Google Fu gets me some recommendations on places to go/things to do, I throw myself upon the collective wisdom here. Anyone been? Any bike shops I absolutely must visit? Restaurants or bars that are a must see? Can I get around on English or do I need to fake it the Danes?

Louis
02-04-2016, 09:06 PM
I don't think they ride much over there, so don't bother. Or maybe they do:

http://secondat.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-not.html

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/24/56886137_135047b346_b.jpg

kgreene10
02-04-2016, 09:30 PM
I'm sure many knowledgeable forumites will chime in, but just to say that we spent a couple of days there last April and no problem with English.

We spent a few more days at the university in Lund which is just a train ride away across the bridge (now, apparently, the train will be stopped to check passports due to the migrant crisis). I brought my coupler and ride with a great group on the weekend and explored by myself during the week. Mostly flat but very windy -- think windmills. I bet the riding is similar out of Coppenhagen.

Happy travels.

d_douglas
02-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Well, cycling is a national practice, so anywhere you go, there are bikes bikes bikes. I enjoyed the scenery of the cyclists - my wife even observed the fembot like effect of 1000s of gorgeous Danish women in stylish clothes zipping around the city on their bikes :). I can say that because my wife is a Dane!

I have been there many times and it is a great place. The food culture there is incredible - if you are a foodie, check out Noma, but I doubt that you would get a table (last I recall, it was considered the 'best' restaurant in the world). I haven't been, but it is a lifetime experience for food geeks, so I have been told. My wife and I went to 'Geranium' for lunch - also a super high end Michelin starred restaurant and it was also pretty amazing.

I am a coffee geek and there is a great place there called Koffee Kollectiv that has served some of the best coffee I have ever tasted - just outside the shopping core in an area called 'Norrebro'.

If you are a museum person, taking a train up to Louisiana Museum in Humelbaek is amazing - it is a stunning setting and the best contemporary art gallery I have been to. I went there every time I visited.

Other than that, wandering around the city is really fun, as you will undoubtedly stumble across some great places that you never expected.

Cycling wise, I can't offer much - there is basically NO elevation, so don't hope for climbing! The only riding I have ever done is on a rusty old city bike with my sweet lady to and from the beaches and pubs :)>

Enjoy, - aside from the right wing government, it is one of my favourite places that I have ever visited in my life.

Dead Man
02-04-2016, 10:41 PM
I was always partial to regular ol' Snuff

http://blog.northerner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/copenhagen-snuff.jpg

sandyrs
02-05-2016, 05:51 AM
Go to Mikkeler bar. I know there's one in SF now but you can't beat the original.

tctyres
02-05-2016, 05:55 AM
I lived there for a year after my undergrad degree, and I was back a couple of years ago.

In Copenhagen, all Danes with a college degree will know English very well. As you get down into the trades (eg some bike shops), the command of English is less.

The main difference between bikes there and here is that the industry is far more commuter based. If you're looking for road bikes, you won't see many. You will see a ton of kid haulers and cargo bikes --- way more than you have seen in the US.

In terms of seeing stuff, it's a very easy country to get around in. I think that the sites in Copenhagen are great. People talk up Tivoli, but to me it's just an amusement park. I prefer the historical and architectural sites. The parks are good too.

If you go for a country bike ride, pay attention to the direction of the windmills. I made the mistake of going out to Mons Klint. The ride out had a tailwind, and I really didn't notice. When I rode back, I realized that the windmills all faced one direction.

sandyrs
02-05-2016, 06:33 AM
Oh, and a short train ride away (or maybe it was bus, not sure) is the Louisiana museum, which is beautifully located and has a great collection.

dumbod
02-05-2016, 09:15 AM
If you're only there for a day or two and weather is good, try Bike Mike for a bike tour. It's slow and flat so nobody in your party should have a problem with it.

http://bikecopenhagenwithmike.dk/

Failing that (or if the weather sucks, a distinct possibility), take one of the boat tours. It will give you a good overview of the city.

It's a great city to walk around. So you don't need to do much more.

If you're not afraid of heights (and are not real big), climb to the top of Vor Frelsers Kirke). Getting to the top involves a spiral staircase on the OUTSIDE of the steeple. The view's great if you can there.

If you have time, there are two great day trips, both by train. The first is two Roskilde. There's a Viking museum that contains four or five ships that they were able to salvage from the harbor (they had been scuttled to protect the harbor.) It's very cool.

The other day trip is to Helsingnor to see Kronborg castle, reputably the basis for Hamlet although, of course, Shakespeare never left England. Regardless, it is very very cool.

English is pretty much the lingua franca these days so you shouldn't have many problems. Learning a few key phrases (Hello, Goodbye, Please, Thank You) really helps but you should be alright regardless.

bikingshearer
02-05-2016, 03:19 PM
I hear tell that Copenhagen is a pricey town, so bring or have access to plenty o' coin.

This is only what I have heard - I've never been there - so others who have can confirm this or shoot me down in flames.

ctcyclistbob
02-05-2016, 03:45 PM
You can pay a visit to Sogreni Bikes. They have their own frames and nicely designed accessories. You can buy a bell, nice and easy to carry home:
http://sogrenibikes.com/

Also visit Nyhavn (pretty close to the royal palace too):

d_douglas
02-05-2016, 04:04 PM
I hear tell that Copenhagen is a pricey town, so bring or have access to plenty o' coin.

This is only what I have heard - I've never been there - so others who have can confirm this or shoot me down in flames.

That goes without saying. You gotta pay to play :).

Lots of fun cheap things to do as well, but yes, buying food and clothes etc., is a costly endeavour... !

JSL
02-06-2016, 04:32 AM
With limited time, I wouldn't waste it looking for bike shops around here. Most are mediocre at best. With a day to kill, I'd start at Hovedbanegaarden (main train station) and see Tivoli, but don't waste your time going in. Go over to Rundetaarnet to see the view from one of the highest points in town, then head towards Nyhavn via Stroeget, as mentioned by others.

From Nyhavn, walk North along the water to Amalienborg Palace (you'll pass the Opera House on the way) and after seeing the palace continue up to Kastellet, which is a neat fort/park. Then I'd walk over to Oester Soegade and follow the lakes South towards where you started. If you take your time and enjoy the sights and cafes, you'll spend the majority of a day doing this. Dress warmly as it's usually cold and windy here in April. I'd use google maps to print a route beforehand.

If you have additional time, I'd take the train to Helsingoer to see Kronborg Castle and Louisiana. The castle and scenery are fantastic.

There is really so much to see here that 2 days doesn't do it justice. The food and bars are great, but arguably no better than anything you have in CA. To me, the cultural sights are much more appealing.

Feel free to ask if you have questions :beer:

joelmalm
02-07-2016, 10:45 PM
I Lived in Malmo (across the bridge) for almost ten years and spent some time in Copenhagen. And if you're planning on taking the short train ride over to Sweden, let me know and I'll give you some advice.
On Copenhagen:
Like previously mentioned -go to Mikkeler Bar. The one close to the central station. They have excellent craft beer and the place is just great. Small but cozy.
Check out Nyhavn, super cute, picturesque area with a cool history.

And try some real danish pastry!
Lagkagehuset (It's a chain of bakeries, but consistent in quality) has tons of great stuff.

On bike shops: Steer away from the standard bike shops if you're short on time. One person recommended Sogreni, I second that.
Larry vs. Harry http://larryvsharry.com/ is a neat place. They make fun and very light/fast cargo bikes, and will gladly lend you one for a test ride. Do it! Also within walking distance from the central station.

And bring all your warm clothing. Seriously.
Have a great trip!