PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: Event participation and internet anonymity

Buzz Killington
02-04-2016, 08:01 PM
I've participated in some bike and running events in the past, but I also try to keep my internet footprint as small as possible. A quick Google search of my name (does everyone do this?) brings up past results. I compete for fun/challenge, I don't need someone to see I placed #th in the XX-YY age bracket and I'm from Springfield.
So my question is, if I register as Hugh Jass or Seymour Butz, would I be waiving any legal recourse if something were to happen to me in the event? What are the ramifications?
I know the easy answer is not to participate at all.....

rnhood
02-04-2016, 08:12 PM
We live in a different world today, with social networking and connectivity ruling the order of the day. I recommend that you just forget about it, so what if someone sees your results, time, age or whatever. Its all in passing and will fade way. No matter how slow you are, there will always be someone slower. And no matter how fast you are, there will always be some faster. Its life, don't hide from it.

carpediemracing
02-05-2016, 01:24 AM
There's a hedge fund manager that made a visit, back in my IT days. One thing that was interesting was that, at that point, it was hard to find a picture of him. We were expressly forbidden from taking any pictures with anything while he was around. The claim was that the manager did not want his image out on the Internet.

Maybe 5 years later I Googled the name when it popped up in the news. Pictures everywhere.

So, yeah, it is what it is.

To answer your question, I really don't know. If you're doing an event that doesn't have medical coverage then you probably will be covered by your current insurance.

I remember seeing names like "John Museeuw" and "Gregorio Lemondino" at a local ride.

Tip: don't use Eddy Merckx. Apparently there are a ton of warrants out for a sketchy rider named Eddy Merckx, although nowadays they may be gone. Bob Roll allegedly gave the name out (in Anaheim? I think when Interbike was there?) and was almost arrested.

CNY rider
02-05-2016, 05:16 AM
Cool idea.
I'm going to go as Motorin Seatube.

AngryScientist
02-05-2016, 05:57 AM
ive definitely done events in the past under an alias for just that reason. Try this: register as your first name and use your middle name, assuming you have one- as your last. No longer Google search meaningful, but still technically your name, just not your whole name.

bcroslin
02-05-2016, 08:17 AM
There's a hedge fund manager that made a visit, back in my IT days. One thing that was interesting was that, at that point, it was hard to find a picture of him. We were expressly forbidden from taking any pictures with anything while he was around. The claim was that the manager did not want his image out on the Internet.

Maybe 5 years later I Googled the name when it popped up in the news. Pictures everywhere.

So, yeah, it is what it is.

To answer your question, I really don't know. If you're doing an event that doesn't have medical coverage then you probably will be covered by your current insurance.

I remember seeing names like "John Museeuw" and "Gregorio Lemondino" at a local ride.

Tip: don't use Eddy Merckx. Apparently there are a ton of warrants out for a sketchy rider named Eddy Merckx, although nowadays they may be gone. Bob Roll allegedly gave the name out (in Anaheim? I think when Interbike was there?) and was almost arrested.

Funny thing about the hedge fund guys, they actually buy up all of the photos and licensing of the images if a magazine does a story on them. A friend of mine photographed a hedge fund founder and the magazine forgot to send him a contract that wrapped all the rights to the images and the guy ended up paying $30k to own the images.

54ny77
02-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Interesting. What do you say when you show up to the event? using a completely made up name, i'd imagine it's tough to show a license with the name of "Seat Topper" or some such thing....;)

ive definitely done events in the past under an alias for just that reason. Try this: register as your first name and use your middle name, assuming you have one- as your last. No longer Google search meaningful, but still technically your name, just not your whole name.

rwsaunders
02-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Stick with Buzz Killington and see if that works.

echelon_john
02-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Sorry guys--Hugh Jass is already taken.

OtayBW
02-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Try Mike Keister, or Mike ...well, nevermind...