PDA

View Full Version : OT What bike would Martin Shkreli ride?

AJM100
02-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Fun with Shkreli day . . .

Considering his personality, obvious need for attention, what bike would he ride?

I would say a counterfeit Chinese knock off of the Kaws- Trek Madone - that he would pass off as the original.

ORMojo
02-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Something with grossly over-inflated tires.

54ny77
02-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Something "curated" by a name but fabbed by someone else and sold at a 5,000% markup.

David Kirk
02-04-2016, 03:06 PM
I'd rather like to give him a ride of a different kind......maybe a swift kick up the arse will I'm wearing a ski boot.

He's a sociopath.

dave

texbike
02-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Preferably the bike version of Mr. Garrison's IT (you'll have to look this one up yourself...). :D

Texbike

AustinHorse
02-04-2016, 03:16 PM
one dose of Daraprim says he's got a Fuji Obey

soulspinner
Cracked carbon anything. :beer:

tumbler
I'm guessing something like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-Colorado-Legend-Titanium-Campagnolo-Record-Mavic-Wheelset-16lbs-/171932353965). Bought it for $2k, planning to do a quick flip for $10k.

bicycletricycle
02-04-2016, 03:18 PM
something from poshbikes.com

Cameron
02-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Something "curated" by a name but fabbed by someone else and sold at a 5,000% markup.

Soooo, a Budnitz?

seanile
02-04-2016, 03:53 PM
a flat bar fixed gear conversion of this http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/npmartin24/Scott%20Moningers%20Serotta%20Coors%20Light%20Team %20Bike/ScottMoningerSerottaCoorsLiteBike-1.jpg

sandyrs
02-04-2016, 04:11 PM
maybe that absurdly expensive bike wrapped in alligator leather than pharrell designed?

modernfuturist
02-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Surprised he didn't get this frame with the $2 million dollar album he bought...

http://www.sugarcayne.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/wutang-state-bikes.jpg

MesiJezi
02-04-2016, 04:56 PM
He strikes me as a triathlete type... soooo probably a TT bike with an adamo saddle and underwear under his bike shorts.

fuzzalow
02-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Mr. Shkreli has criminal charges still hanging over his head. Criminal charges that might wind him up in some cell at the end of some penitentiary corridor.

Then the question would be not: What would Martin Shkreli ride but rather who would ride Martin Shkreli?

Chris
02-04-2016, 05:06 PM
I'd like to see him ride a logging chain and some concrete shoes to the bottom of a lake.

Saint Vitus
02-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Mr. Shkreli has criminal charges still hanging over his head. Criminal charges that might wind him up in some cell at the end of some penitentiary corridor.

Then the question would be not: What would Martin Shkreli ride but rather who would ride Martin Shkreli?

And karma would prevail in the best possible manner.

weisan
02-04-2016, 07:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhX8-dazOo

echappist
02-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Surprised he didn't get this frame with the $2 million dollar album he bought...

http://www.sugarcayne.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/wutang-state-bikes.jpg

:hello:

he'll probably just ride it indoor as he cannot tolerate the plebeian masses laying their gaze upon his bike

Peter P.
02-04-2016, 07:48 PM
I'd rather like to give him a ride of a different kind......maybe a swift kick up the arse will I'm wearing a ski boot.

He's a sociopath.

dave

That was funny, especially since I didn't expect it coming from YOU!

P.S. I agree.

kgreene10
02-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Dunno about the bike, but "people are saying" he is looking good as Trump's running mate.

saf-t
02-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Nah, he'd be on this (http://www.gizmag.com/goldgenie-gold-plated-bicycle/35116/pictures)

54ny77
02-04-2016, 08:43 PM
They'll be riding an in an echelon.

http://blogs.reuters.com/photo/files/2011/06/RTR2N9TR.jpg

rustychisel
02-04-2016, 10:18 PM
They'll be riding an in an echelon.

http://blogs.reuters.com/photo/files/2011/06/RTR2N9TR.jpg

Puts the notion of sheltering from the wind in a whole different light, then?

andys
02-04-2016, 11:37 PM
Stradali

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

verticaldoug
02-05-2016, 02:25 AM
1. The price hikes on his drugs is what pissed people off, but it is no different then what larger firms like Valeant are doing (only degree) or what hospitals are doing after they merge and take out the competition.
2. The smirky face just happens to be in public and it angers people. In private, I think many corporate execs have a smirky face. (They just hide it behind a serious face)
3. His twitter comments about congress being imbeciles is probably a sentiment most on this board agree with.
4. There is worse corporate behavior (read Huffington Post Highline on 'The most Admired lawbreaker in America'). Again, they just hide behind a serious face and show some contrition.

Shkreli did us a service. He has shown you the end game if current corporate behavior is taken it to it's logical conclusion. (Why else do we bail out banks after they blow up the economy only to allow them to blow up the economy again)

Shkreli is just showing you corporate Id without the mask. What you really hate is modern corporate America?

Chris
02-05-2016, 06:27 AM
1. The price hikes on his drugs is what pissed people off, but it is no different then what larger firms like Valeant are doing (only degree) or what hospitals are doing after they merge and take out the competition.
2. The smirky face just happens to be in public and it angers people. In private, I think many corporate execs have a smirky face. (They just hide it behind a serious face)
3. His twitter comments about congress being imbeciles is probably a sentiment most on this board agree with.
4. There is worse corporate behavior (read Huffington Post Highline on 'The most Admired lawbreaker in America'). Again, they just hide behind a serious face and show some contrition.

Shkreli did us a service. He has shown you the end game if current corporate behavior is taken it to it's logical conclusion. (Why else do we bail out banks after they blow up the economy only to allow them to blow up the economy again)

Shkreli is just showing you corporate Id without the mask. What you really hate is modern corporate America?

This is both true to a degree and ridiculous at the same time. Regardless of anyone else who shares the same qualities, this punk is primarily without any redeeming value. Not just because of the med price hike, but because of the fraud in his hedge funds and the millions of others money that he lost. His bullying and harassment of others (including the child of one of his partners) which has been well documented is beyond the pale. He deserves every bad thing that comes to him and more. There is no defending this guy.

velomonkey
02-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Not the right guy, but, generally, the same type - totally self absorbed - but totally THE same type of bike.

Tri bike - check.
Huge Casette - check
colored tires - check
horrible 3rd party cranks - check
zipp clinchers with aluminum brake track - check

verticaldoug
02-05-2016, 06:46 AM
This is both true to a degree and ridiculous at the same time. Regardless of anyone else who shares the same qualities, this punk is primarily without any redeeming value. Not just because of the med price hike, but because of the fraud in his hedge funds and the millions of others money that he lost. His bullying and harassment of others (including the child of one of his partners) which has been well documented is beyond the pale. He deserves every bad thing that comes to him and more. There is no defending this guy.

I don't disagree. Turing hikes a drug after acquiring by 5000%. Valeant hikes 20 drugs by 200%+ from 2014-15 and a heart drug by 500%. This is a level of degree but no difference in behavior.

Obviously losing money for investors in his funds are bad, but this only slightly differs from Goldman working with Paulson&Co to design the Abacus CDO with mortgages expected to perform badly so they could short and selling it on to pension funds. It is a deceptive practice.

To some degree, Shkreli is like the character (Meursault) from Camus' Stranger. You hate him because he did not cry at his mothers funeral.

OtayBW
02-05-2016, 07:41 AM
From one generalization to another: this is one time that I suspect most people would actually side with the sentiment expressed by Congress.

KJMUNC
02-05-2016, 09:00 AM

So you're saying he'd ride a Ritte?

echappist
02-05-2016, 09:04 AM
I don't disagree. Turing hikes a drug after acquiring by 5000%. Valeant hikes 20 drugs by 200%+ from 2014-15 and a heart drug by 500%. This is a level of degree but no difference in behavior.

Obviously losing money for investors in his funds are bad, but this only slightly differs from Goldman working with Paulson&Co to design the Abacus CDO with mortgages expected to perform badly so they could short and selling it on to pension funds. It is a deceptive practice.

To some degree, Shkreli is like the character (Meursault) from Camus' Stranger. You hate him because he did not cry at his mothers funeral.

Difference being that Meursault seems more amoral than immoral and that he is more a simpleton who does not think through his actions. His self absorption and other non-normative behaviors are products of the two aforementioned characteristics. I got the sense that he'd fail at sociopathy as he doesnt understand societal mores and makes no attempt at even ingratiating himself or manipulating others. He lives in the moment, so to speak.

Shkreli is behaving on his own agent and volition, and knows full well what he's doing. I say he's immoral and proud of it.

texbike
02-05-2016, 09:10 AM

I would agree and believe that the executive leadership of the Fortune 500 has wreaked more destruction on our Country, society, and planet in general than any other human force in history. All in the pursuit of profit with disregard to all else. Shkreli is just an over-the-top example of U.S. corporate behaviour.

Texbike

BobbyJones
02-05-2016, 09:17 AM
I would agree and believe that the executive leadership of the Fortune 500 has wreaked more destruction on our Country, society, and planet in general than any other human force in history. All in the pursuit of profit with disregard to all else. Shkreli is just an over-the-top example of the sheer disregard shown by corporate America.

Texbike

Agreed to a point. But let's not forget what exactly a business is.

kgreene10
02-05-2016, 09:23 AM
I would agree and believe that the executive leadership of the Fortune 500 has wreaked more destruction on our Country, society, and planet in general than any other human force in history. All in the pursuit of profit with disregard to all else. Shkreli is just an over-the-top example of U.S. corporate behaviour.

Texbike

Um, aren't you in marketing?

54ny77
02-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Dah, comrade!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ydo0LI39ZsU/U1_0Q9eFMHI/AAAAAAAACTA/9n3faiQunQg/s1600/af13.PNG

:p

Texbike

texbike
02-05-2016, 09:33 AM

If you mean a collection of individuals, then yes. It's the focus and direction of the collective efforts of those individuals by a board and executives that can make an organization good or evil. Not that most organizations are purely one or the other...

Um, aren't you in marketing?

Yes. I'm part of the machine. However, participating in the machine doesn't mean that you can't align yourself with organizations that maintain a higher level of moral direction and conduct yourself in an ethical manner that contributes to a greater good.

At least, that's how I justify it... :rolleyes:

Texbike

Fatty
02-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Dunno about the bike, but "people are saying" he is looking good as Trump's running mate.

What people ?

He donated to Bernie sanders.

BobbyJones
02-05-2016, 11:48 AM
If you mean a collection of individuals, then yes.

No, I mean: "a person, partnership, or corporation engaged in commerce, manufacturing, or a service; profit-seeking enterprise or concern."

Remove "profit" and you have a charity.

I don't think anyone here has retirement funds tied up in charities.

It's arguable, but I think you get my point.

Climb01742
02-05-2016, 11:57 AM

Both Patagonia and Koch Industries are businesses. Ben&Jerry's and Monsanto are both businesses. Capitalism can have a conscience. Just makes it a bit harder.:D I think that was Texbike's point.

josephr
02-05-2016, 12:22 PM

Texbike

agree -- Shkreli isn't the only a-hole in the business -- the brazen attitude plus he's so public about nothing being illegal -- all makes for a salivating story. He knows he owns the market so and not yielding anything to the insurance companies --- they can't get it done in the back room, so they throw him in front on congress/media. Same ole crap as always.

I just changed insurance carriers -- Singlulair at CVS without insurance was $350, with insurance, $19.

CampyorBust
02-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Texbike

True dat, that there is awesome!:beer:

Dah, comrade!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ydo0LI39ZsU/U1_0Q9eFMHI/AAAAAAAACTA/9n3faiQunQg/s1600/af13.PNG

:p

Drop the H next time. Hey that Steve Carell is really looking buff these days! :D

Oh and Shrekli would totally be sporting a Trek from the Lance era, duh.

SpokeValley
02-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Likely the "Douche" model from whatever manufacturer makes it.

kevinvc
02-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Really, prison rape jokes?

Unoriginal and not funny. The novelty was never there, and if it was it's long gone.

buddybikes
02-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Is he any different that other pharma companies that have pulled in stuff from NIH and created products grossly overpriced that people are dying. ie: Insulin $325.00 bottle, original research team involved friend of a former doctor of mine in 1970's

Pharma's are 99% producing knock offs, like yet another type 2 diabetes medication when real breakthroughs are dying. Note so little on the horizon for many of the chronic illnesses of today, and not ones that are "human made" ie smoking, eating etc

echappist
02-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Really, prison rape jokes?

Unoriginal and not funny. The novelty was never there, and if it was it's long gone.

thank you. And here i thought no one else was going to raise an objection. That such "jokes" are so widely tolerated is an indictment of the particularly American brand of "justice" that has given us, inter alia, Angola, solitary confinement of teenagers arrested for misdemeanors, etc.

This is by no means an acquiescence of the behavior of Shkreli, but rather that there are legal, above board ways of punishing this scumbag.

scho74
02-05-2016, 06:22 PM
back on topic

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12501489_161031667605031_1586305784_n.jpg

bicycletricycle
02-05-2016, 08:04 PM
back on topic

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12501489_161031667605031_1586305784_n.jpg

This is the best bicycle ever assembled

bironi
02-05-2016, 08:07 PM
back on topic

That needs deep rims. Is that toilet paper hanging from the bars?