PDA

View Full Version : Surly--good customer service

DRZRM
02-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Just wanted to share a good experience that I had with the folks at Surly. I picked up a Moonlander fat bike frame here on the forum before last winter in MA and loved the bike. I had a great time with my new puppy in Arnold Arboretum, and we never would have gone out nearly as much in all that snow without a dedicated fat bike, it made for a great winter for both of us.

I brought it here to Albuquerque after considering selling it (snowbike in the desert?) and I was delighted I did. It is great to ride with the dog and or my kids (now 5 & 7 and ripping around on their own little fat bikes, Specialized RipRocks). It is a bit heavy and slow, but that actually makes it better to ride with kids and dogs, I can get a decent workout without feeling like I'm waiting all the time. We've even had some snow, and it is also great in the sand.

So about a week ago, I'm riding around an athletic field near home with the pack, and I hear that terrible repeating clunk. When I stop to look at what happened, I see the DS chain stay has snapped clean through right on the edge of the weld next to the drop out. No rust, no trauma, I figure it likely was overheated when it was welded. Nonetheless, I'm a second owner and it is just a few weeks out of warranty anyway. The break is so close to the rear drop out that a very reputable builder took a look and said it was not really worth trying to repair. There was not enough material on the drop out side to get a strong weld. I figured I was screwed...ah well the risks of buying used bikes.

Anyway, both the original owner and I sent emails to Surly, and while they couldn't/wouldn't warranty it, they are replacing the frame through a local dealer pretty close to their cost. Frankly, it was cool of them to do anything at all. I'm very pleased with the company, and I can't wait to get it rebuilt.

Thanks too all the folks at Surly.

linger
02-03-2016, 07:13 PM
One of the many reasons I love Surly bikes.

Gat64
02-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Love my Ogre and I have their SS hubs on another bike. Good value and sounds like I would get good service too if anything were to happen.

Thanks for posting your experience.

likebikes
02-03-2016, 07:43 PM
o/t but why did you leave boston for burque?

chwupper
02-03-2016, 09:01 PM
That's great to read. I've never had to deal with anything like a busted bike, but my experiences interacting with the people at Surly on other matters have only been positive. Love Surly. :beer:

gemship
02-04-2016, 06:52 AM
Just wanted to share a good experience that I had with the folks at Surly. I picked up a Moonlander fat bike frame here on the forum before last winter in MA and loved the bike. I had a great time with my new puppy in Arnold Arboretum, and we never would have gone out nearly as much in all that snow without a dedicated fat bike, it made for a great winter for both of us.

I brought it here to Albuquerque after considering selling it (snowbike in the desert?) and I was delighted I did. It is great to ride with the dog and or my kids (now 5 & 7 and ripping around on their own little fat bikes, Specialized RipRocks). It is a bit heavy and slow, but that actually makes it better to ride with kids and dogs, I can get a decent workout without feeling like I'm waiting all the time. We've even had some snow, and it is also great in the sand.

So about a week ago, I'm riding around an athletic field near home with the pack, and I hear that terrible repeating clunk. When I stop to look at what happened, I see the DS chain stay has snapped clean through right on the edge of the weld next to the drop out. No rust, no trauma, I figure it likely was overheated when it was welded. Nonetheless, I'm a second owner and it is just a few weeks out of warranty anyway. The break is so close to the rear drop out that a very reputable builder took a look and said it was not really worth trying to repair. There was not enough material on the drop out side to get a strong weld. I figured I was screwed...ah well the risks of buying used bikes.

Anyway, both the original owner and I sent emails to Surly, and while they couldn't/wouldn't warranty it, they are replacing the frame through a local dealer pretty close to their cost. Frankly, it was cool of them to do anything at all. I'm very pleased with the company, and I can't wait to get it rebuilt.

Thanks too all the folks at Surly.

I'm no expert at welding but it seems like one could get creative with an extra piece of metal stock and use that as extra material to weld onto. I imagine it wouldn't look pretty but may do the job, add some paint. I mean form follow function with these kinds of bikes anyways.

DRZRM
02-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Gemnship

I assume they will take back the frame when they supply the replacement. It may have been reparable, but for the cost, I prefer a new frame.

Likebikes

Work related move. Been good for my miles over the winter, I could grow to like this, but it has been a big change.

JAGI410
02-04-2016, 12:03 PM
The people and service from those guys and girls have always been great and is likely a factor as to why I own 3 of their bikes currently.