PDA

View Full Version : OT: stolen iPhone to do list

tele
02-03-2016, 05:15 PM
My wife just had her iPhone 5s stolen out of her pocketbook at the market. I turned on the lost phone mode on Find My iPhone and have suspended the phone from Verizon.

At this point is there anything else I should do? I see all these websites about getting through the lost phone lock but are they scams? Should I erase all the info on the phone?

:help:

sitzmark
02-03-2016, 05:24 PM
If you set the phone up for automatic backup to iCloud, you can wipe the phone and re-install back to the last backup when you get things sorted out (recover phone or get new one). Same thing if you've been manually backing up to a computer (iTunes).

Good luck. Thieves suck.

Gsinill
02-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Can't speak to the claims that the lost phone lock can be hacked but why wouldn't you wipe it clean?
Do you ever expect to get it back?
Did she back it up to a computer or iCloud recently?

bcroslin
02-03-2016, 05:26 PM
If it's been backed up wipe it. If it's not been backed up I would see if you can use find my iPhone to locate it and then call the cops.

Veloo
02-03-2016, 05:39 PM
Did you log into icloud.com and use the Find My iPhone app?

rwsaunders
02-03-2016, 05:45 PM
If there's an Apple Store near you they can help...definitely call the police.

tele
02-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Did you log into icloud.com and use the Find My iPhone app?

That's how I locked the phone into lost mode. There is the 4 digit code to login to the phone. Of course she hasn't backed the phone in a while, which is really my fault.

rePhil
02-03-2016, 06:10 PM
I legitimately inherited an iCloud locked iPhone. I have exhausted all reasonable, legal ways of getting it unlocked. It's basically a paperweight.
But apparently there is an underground network of characters that claim they can unlock it. Otherwise why would anyone want to steal one?

CunegoFan
02-03-2016, 06:30 PM
But apparently there is an underground network of characters that claim they can unlock it. Otherwise why would anyone want to steal one?

The iPhone equivalent of a chop shop. The parts can be sold.

93legendti
02-03-2016, 07:32 PM
The screen in good condition is worth at least $100, the battery has value, the charging port assembly has value, there is even gold on the inside that has value.