PDA

View Full Version : Bold Precision and Selcof titanium seatposts?

wwtsui
06-05-2006, 04:04 PM
After perusing numerous prior threads on seatposts, I'm considering getting a Bold post -- primary motivation is "step-less" adjustment of seat angle, since I can't seem to get the saddle exactly level with my current post.

My question: does anybody have pictures of their road bike with one of these posts? I'm trying to imagine what a post with a bend in it would look like -- I'm hoping it has a, umm, different visual effect than the Thomson posts.

Relatedly, I was also considering a Selcof titanium post -- the Red Rose imports site only lists the #82 titanium post, and neither it nor the Selcof site provides detail on how the angle adjustment works on those. Is the angle setting truly "step-less"? How difficult is it? (From the picture, it's hard to understand how the bolt that's on top of the post gets adjusted.)

Thanks!

weiwentg
06-05-2006, 04:18 PM
After perusing numerous prior threads on seatposts, I'm considering getting a Bold post -- primary motivation is "step-less" adjustment of seat angle, since I can't seem to get the saddle exactly level with my current post.

My question: does anybody have pictures of their road bike with one of these posts? I'm trying to imagine what a post with a bend in it would look like -- I'm hoping it has a, umm, different visual effect than the Thomson posts.

the Bold posts are a lot less bulky than the Thomsons. the only negative is that the clamping area is a little small - Selle Italia recommends a minimum clamp area for their saddles, and Bold is below that.

sadly, I'm out of country for the summer, and can't take a photo of my bike. not only that, my post was actually replaced by a Thomson, and mine is a straight post. but, it is a very good post.

pale scotsman
06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Here's a Bold on csb/manet's bike. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7503

Too Tall has one on his Spectrum as well. Cool posts.

SoCalSteve
06-05-2006, 04:48 PM

Relatedly, I was also considering a Selcof titanium post -- the Red Rose imports site only lists the #82 titanium post, and neither it nor the Selcof site provides detail on how the angle adjustment works on those. Is the angle setting truly "step-less"? How difficult is it? (From the picture, it's hard to understand how the bolt that's on top of the post gets adjusted.)

Thanks!

FSA makes a carbon and aluminum post that has stepless adjustment of seat angle. And, they come in a varety of setbacks.

Good luck,

Steve

Ahneida Ride
06-05-2006, 04:56 PM
I too considered a Bold. The setback Thompson is well, a bit fugly.
Well, let's just say, south of elegant.

I inquired specifically twice if the Bold would hold my fat carcass.
Albert never directly answered the question.
I still ride the setback Thompson.

jwprolo
06-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I ride a bold on my Mountain bike. I think it's really, really slick- and would take a picture for you, but the mud may ruin the effect. I haven't had any trouble with it- although I do take the clap apart every 6 months to ti-prep the area. I'm under the impression the clamp itself is aluminum, so it needs the mainenence. I hasn't broken yet, and its been raced for about 4 years; while the bike frame has been dented, the wheels taco'ed and an uncountable number of deraileur hangers have been chewed through, no post or saddle problems.

Oh yeah- I could be making this up, but I really think it has some spring to it. Makes riding a 21lbs mountain bike not too punishing.

znfdl
06-05-2006, 05:54 PM
I had a bold setapost that I sold to 39cross and he loves it. I have another bold seatpost on order. They are nice pieces of work. Ask Too Tall for a picture of his seat post.

Zoomie80
06-05-2006, 07:02 PM
American Classic also has a nice (IMHO) seatpost (I have an aluminum 1-piece design from back in the early 90's)...best one I've had to date for adjusting tilt, one small bolt that is stepless and independent of the saddle rail clamp bolt. AC also made titanium seatposts many years ago. As I understand AC now makes only aluminum posts as a 2-piece design but have not heard anything about them.

rpm
06-05-2006, 08:27 PM
FSA makes a carbon and aluminum post that has stepless adjustment of seat angle. And, they come in a varety of setbacks.

I'm with Steve on this. I'm using an all-aluminum FSA seatpost--the 220. It has the nicest, easiest-to-use, stays-in-place two bolt stepless adjustment I've ever seen. Problem free.

SoCalSteve
06-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm with Steve on this. I'm using an all-aluminum FSA seatpost--the 220. It has the nicest, easiest-to-use, stays-in-place two bolt stepless adjustment I've ever seen. Problem free.

And the carbon version of it is a work of art! Really beautiful sculpted carbon.

And, as RPM said, infinitly adjustable. Great for Brooks saddles.

Steve