PDA

View Full Version : I dont really want electronic shifting but I am excited about wireless shifting

bicycletricycle
02-03-2016, 04:30 PM
I think the prospect of well functioning wireless electronic shifting systems is exciting. As long as the derailleur hanger and seat tube/braze-on stay relatively consistent frames can be sort of universal.

a simple bolt on dropout system could yield a frame that is just as handy a one speed as it is a geared bike as it is internally geared (wireless of coarse) without a bunch of extra unused holes and crap all over it.

I like cleanliness (on my bicycles)

also, as soon as people start hacking this stuff a whole range of simple and interesting shifters can be made for every type of handlebar or preference.

maybe even universal shifters that can communicate with any system

auto shifting hacks based on power or maybe even GPS or voice commands or....

also, aero frames that don't need to compromise for cable routing.

what are people here excited about ?

P.S.

If your not excited than please make your own thread about why you are not excited :)

Roger M
02-03-2016, 04:37 PM
It will be nice when electric derailleurs shrink in size down to the current mechanical counterparts. Hiding the shift buttons in some vintage brake levers would be a plus.

Cicli
02-03-2016, 04:43 PM
I am excited when I buy a set of wheels and they come with skewers. :fight:

I too think wireless shifting is cool. Too bad its shram though. Their stuff sucks.

I will have to wait another 10 years for Campagnolo to come out with it. Thats along time to be excited. Way longer than the recommended four hour max. :banana:

Vamoots58
02-03-2016, 04:44 PM
looks really interesting! I am totally sold on EPS, currently on both of my road bikes. There is an allure to complete wireless, but I find EPS an easy install and the shifting is flawless.

David Tollefson
02-03-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm definitely excited about eTAP. I was never a fan of the Double-Tap shift pattern, and while I would love for eTAP to keep it to one lever per derailleur, I'll likely adapt with ease.

As a builder, I've never really liked the current market of electronic shifting -- the wiring is either a ghetto kludge, or adding a bunch of holes to the frame. eTAP solves this nicely.

djg21
02-03-2016, 04:55 PM
It clearly will make installation easy, and should simplify routine maintenance as well. Granted, you will have to replace or recharge batteries, but apart from that, the derailleurs should be pretty much plug-and-play. I think there is a lot of room to come up with more intuitive shifting motions, and it will just look cleaner with no cables to run through or on the frame.

tigoat
02-03-2016, 05:14 PM
The concept is certainly enticing despite the fact that there are 4 separate batteries to deal with, which should be no big deal if they are well maintained. I ride single speed almost exclusively nowadays so these greatest and latest groupings really irrelevant to me. With that said, I don稚 mind owning a set if I have a need for it.

seanile
02-03-2016, 05:20 PM
i'm really excited for this in the terms of a travel bike. no more cables to undo or adjustments to make after the brakes. just screw them in and go.
it's got me planning... (edit: for s&s bikes)

The concept is certainly enticing despite the fact that there are 4 separate batteries to deal with, which should be no big deal if they are well maintained. I ride single speed almost exclusively nowadays so these greatest and latest groupings really irrelevant to me. With that said, I don't mind owning a set if I have a need for it.
2 really. the ones in the shifters will last 2 years (watch batteries), and the ones in the derailleurs are interchangeable, take 45 mins to charge, and last for 60 hours.

bcroslin
02-03-2016, 05:27 PM
I'll be excited when it's Shimano....

Bob Ross
02-03-2016, 05:51 PM
As a builder, I've never really liked the current market of electronic shifting -- the wiring is either a ghetto kludge, or adding a bunch of holes to the frame.

Unlike mechanical shifting, where the cabling is either a ghetto kludge, or adding a bunch of brazed-on stops to the frame? I guess then eTap is a godsend!

makoti
02-03-2016, 05:53 PM
I have no excitement about electronic shifting BUT wireless would be very interesting on my S&S bike. Can't wait until Campy comes out with theirs & I can pay 50% more for it than everybody else's!
I want it to shift just like my current Campy stuff. Same motions get me the same results.
And chocolate. I'm also excited about chocolate.

guido
02-03-2016, 06:09 PM
A Force price level eTap that handles 11-36(or42) and I'll be all over it...

Tickdoc
02-03-2016, 06:30 PM
I'll be excited when campy has it and it shows up on classified boards for a good price.
In other words.....I'm not that excited.

crankles
02-03-2016, 06:35 PM
a simple bolt on dropout system could yield a frame that is just as handy a one speed as it is a geared bike as it is internally geared (wireless of coarse) without a bunch of extra unused holes and crap all over it.

I like cleanliness (on my bicycles)

THIS!!!
I'm actually having this built as we speak. I'm basically having a SS disc cross bike built after racing a season on shimano hydro on my geared CX and loving it. I'll be using paragon Rockers Dropouts. They offer both SS and Geared plates. Once etap hydro is available (I prefer shimano hydro, but i'm not a sram hater), I will run those levers/brakes. I can then add F/R der, swap a crankset/chain and I'll have a fully geared CX.
whoppee!

eBAUMANN
02-03-2016, 06:59 PM
THIS!!!
I'm actually having this built as we speak. I'm basically having a SS disc cross bike built after racing a season on shimano hydro on my geared CX and loving it. I'll be using paragon Rockers Dropouts. They offer both SS and Geared plates. Once etap hydro is available (I prefer shimano hydro, but i'm not a sram hater), I will run those levers/brakes. I can then add F/R der, swap a crankset/chain and I'll have a fully geared CX.
whoppee!

You planning on racing etap for cx?
I like the idea as well...but I dont like the idea of crashing on ANY of the etap stuff, even the levers (which im assuming you would leave for SS use?).

I like the idea but the price tag put this firmly in the on-road use dept for me.

i'm really excited for this in the terms of a travel bike. no more cables to undo or adjustments to make after the brakes. just screw them in and go.
it's got me planning...

this is pretty much already the case with di2, you just have to plug a cable into the rd, fd, and battery, good to go. unless you are talking about a S&S or breakaway bike, in which case the wireless would definitely be easier.

Louis
02-03-2016, 07:09 PM
I agree that wireless will be cool, as long as the co-located batteries don't make the already big electrical derailleurs even bigger and uglier.

(And if the batteries aren't co-located, then it can't be considered wireless.)

bicycletricycle
02-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Not exactly the same but close,

nothing to do at all, no loose ends to pack carefully, that's different and will be a lot easier to pack and unpack.

Strangely, I would be afraid of this kind of stuff for travel, wired components are so robust. Who wants to bring a charger on their trip?

I do get the desire to have the easiest possible pack up though.

I like the idea as well...but I dont like the idea of crashing on ANY of the etap stuff, even the levers (which im assuming you would leave for SS use?).

I like the idea but the price tag put this firmly in the on-road use dept for me.

this is pretty much already the case with di2, you just have to plug a cable into the rd, fd, and battery, good to go. unless you are talking about a S&S or breakaway bike, in which case the wireless would definitely be easier.

Peter P.
02-03-2016, 07:11 PM
I'll be excited when they come out with wireless braking. That will be HUGE.
:rolleyes:

Really; bikes were supposed to be simple and inexpensive. What happened to them is a shame.

bicycletricycle
02-03-2016, 07:14 PM
I like my bikes simple as well but luckily lots of parts out in the world to build any kind of bike you want.

Besides, It's not like the insides of an STI or ERGO shifter are simple

Really; bikes were supposed to be simple and inexpensive. What happened to them is a shame.

pbarry
02-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Took how long after Mavic did this in the 90's? About time! :) Mentioned above: I like the S&S ease it would afford, and install should be a snap.

Also, Bob Ross, you are a serious nuovo retro grouch. :beer:

pbarry
02-03-2016, 07:19 PM

Plenty of simple inexpensive new bikes out there now: Fixies and townie bikes that get ridden more/more often than the majority of the bikes discussed or FS here.

eBAUMANN
02-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Not exactly the same but close,

nothing to do at all, no loose ends to pack carefully, that's different and will be a lot easier to pack and unpack.

Strangely, I would be afraid of this kind of stuff for travel, wired components are so robust. Who wants to bring a charger on their trip?

I do get the desire to have the easiest possible pack up though.

have you travelled with di2? its a piece of cake.

i dont do anything extra special to the ends of the cables or anything, they just hang out there waiting for their component to come back ;)

i definitely forgot my charger the first time i travelled with the bike though...good thing about shimano though, even at 25%, the battery lasted for 2 weeks of all-day-every-day riding before finally disabling front shifting on my way home the last day.

bicycletricycle
02-03-2016, 07:28 PM
have you travelled with di2? its a piece of cake.

i dont do anything extra special to the ends of the cables or anything, they just hang out there waiting for their component to come back ;)

i definitely forgot my charger the first time i travelled with the bike though...good thing about shimano though, even at 25%, the battery lasted for 2 weeks of all-day-every-day riding before finally disabling front shifting on my way home the last day.

No I have not travelled with di2. No worries about the plugs scratching some paint under some foam tubing protecters ? Cool what about the cables hanging from the bars? No need to do anything about those?

I guess it's probably pretty easy to tuck them into whatever you are protecting the tubes with

DfCas
02-03-2016, 07:34 PM
I've had no interest in wired but I do find wireless exciting. Its that last big step that bikes need but we need an alien technology to dewire the brakes.

Any talk of eTap with hydraulic levers? Maybe bring back hydraulic rim brakes or use disc brakes, users choice.

Why not have firmware hacks to do 6-7-8-9-10-11 speed rear and 2 or 3 in the front..??

bicycletricycle
02-03-2016, 07:44 PM
I would be interested in non indexed firmware hacks

I've had no interest in wired but I do find wireless exciting. Its that last big step that bikes need but we need an alien technology to dewire the brakes.

Any talk of eTap with hydraulic levers? Maybe bring back hydraulic rim brakes or use disc brakes, users choice.

Why not have firmware hacks to do 6-7-8-9-10-11 speed rear and 2 or 3 in the front..??

Jason E
02-03-2016, 08:31 PM
I'm very much looking forward to a simple and clean etap build. I will absolutely run my CX with etap once it comes out. I've had two mechanical-free years on CX1. I'd imagine the hold up is the spring tension?

#earlyadopter. Let's do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikinchris
02-03-2016, 10:34 PM
I really have a preference toward old school parts. SRAM has worked fine for me and all of my customers. Frankly, I have changed more of the springs in Campy shifters than anything.
However, wireless looks so easy to bolt on and setup. It might be fun to build up a real old school frame that had no brazeons for downtube shifters or cable stops with SRAM wireless. I bet it would work great for a tandem if they ever do a triple.

livingminimal
02-03-2016, 11:10 PM
No I have not travelled with di2. No worries about the plugs scratching some paint under some foam tubing protecters ? Cool what about the cables hanging from the bars? No need to do anything about those?

I guess it's probably pretty easy to tuck them into whatever you are protecting the tubes with

So just so I understand, you're commenting about a bunch of stuff you don't understand and haven't tried?

livingminimal
02-03-2016, 11:11 PM
When Shimano does it
When it can take cassettes of at least 32
When it is hydro disc

Then I'll be excited about it.

eBAUMANN
02-03-2016, 11:20 PM

no, the little plugs don't do anything to damage stuff. i guess it depends on the case you are using though and how you protect the frame to begin with, i generally wrap the thing up like I'm shipping it, then into the case it goes. i don't disconnect the fd, because its not necessary, so its really just the rd and battery you are unplugging.

i also dont disconnect the bars/shifters, just take the stem off and tuck it in there around the frame tubes. again, this depends a lot on the case you are using, but generally you don't need to disconnect the bars/cables/etc.

bottom line, its pretty easy. wireless would obviously be easier, but I can have the bike out of the case and operational in about 10 minutes.

bicycletricycle
02-03-2016, 11:22 PM
Yup,

Technically this post is about something basically nobody here has tried

Also

If you read the post I made I just said that plugging stuff in isn't as easy as not plugging stuff in, don't need to have specific experience to make that bold claim

IMHO

So just so I understand, you're commenting about a bunch of stuff you don't understand and haven't tried?

leftsidedrive
02-03-2016, 11:24 PM
I will be attending Sram's ETAP tech clinic in two weeks. I have a few preconceptions going into it that I am sure the red hatted bros won't be able to shake. Either way, I am always excited to learn something new and will be attending with open eyes and ears.

livingminimal
02-03-2016, 11:25 PM
Yup,

Technically this post is about something basically nobody here has tried

Also

If you read the post I made I just said that plugging stuff in isn't as easy as not plugging stuff in, don't need to have specific experience to make that bold claim

IMHO

It's cool. The 4 seconds I need to plug into a junction box to charge vs changing batteries in four different units sporadically should compensate for the terrible plugging and unplugging of cables I literally never do

bicycletricycle
02-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Sounds pretty easy, my s&s bike takes 30 minutes but it has racks and fenders. My fixed gear travel bike is super fast but that's cheating.

no, the little plugs don't do anything to damage stuff. i guess it depends on the case you are using though and how you protect the frame to begin with, i generally wrap the thing up like I'm shipping it, then into the case it goes. i don't disconnect the fd, because its not necessary, so its really just the rd and battery you are unplugging.

i also dont disconnect the bars/shifters, just take the stem off and tuck it in there around the frame tubes. again, this depends a lot on the case you are using, but generally you don't need to disconnect the bars/cables/etc.

bottom line, its pretty easy. wireless would obviously be easier, but I can have the bike out of the case and operational in about 10 minutes.

bicycletricycle
02-03-2016, 11:28 PM
It's cool. The 4 seconds I need to plug into a junction box to charge vs changing batteries in four different units sporadically should compensate for the terrible plugging and unplugging of cables I literally never do

That was a comment but super easy travel bike assembly not regular usage

Also

I agree

All those batteries might be a real downside

livingminimal
02-03-2016, 11:30 PM
That was a comment but super easy travel bike assembly not regular usage

Also

I agree

All those batteries might be a real downside

The point is it's still super easy. I've done it. eBau has done it. It's not complicated or difficult or time consuming.

bicycletricycle
02-03-2016, 11:33 PM
The point is it's still super easy. I've done it. eBau has done it. It's not complicated or difficult or time consuming.

I am sure you are correct that it is very easy to do

pdmtong
02-04-2016, 12:50 AM
I will be attending Sram's ETAP tech clinic in two weeks. I have a few preconceptions going into it that I am sure the red hatted bros won't be able to shake. Either way, I am always excited to learn something new and will be attending with open eyes and ears.

Recommend some folks on the forum embrace this same positive attitude.

rustychisel
02-04-2016, 01:10 AM
Wireless electronic?

I like that when I ride under high voltage power lines and the cadence is noted as 2500rpm I really am doing that. :cool:

Jason E
02-04-2016, 06:04 AM
I'm curious if there is a mechanic mode so if the bike is in the stand there is a way to one-lever-shift the front.

David Tollefson
02-04-2016, 06:14 AM
I'm curious if there is a mechanic mode so if the bike is in the stand there is a way to one-lever-shift the front.

There's a button on the derailleur body to make the shift as well.

Jason E
02-04-2016, 06:15 AM
Ha, nice.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2016, 06:16 AM
Wireless is intriguing to me. I'd never thought I'd use EPS, but I do. I may try wireless, probably not. It will be interesting to see if sram etap 'encourages' the others into wireless or wireless 'lite'. I doubt shimano will be(how many BB30 cranks does shimano make?). Campagnolo 'might', FSA is having issues with theirs.

So as a discussion item, interesting. I'd never buy an etap only frame, and of course, never sram anything, particularly because of the wonky shifting protocol. And as described by some, not a 'revolution' IMHO. Still ders pushing a chain around on a crank and over cogs. Just using trons rather than a cable.

'Cleaner looking'?...come on..6-8 inches of thin wires, next to more brake housing..ya want 'clean looking', do away with derailleurs.

I expect the next thing is a intuitive front der type setup ala XTR Di2..maybe wireless, maybe not. BUT this trend toward proprietary, complication(add wet dic brakes) adds $..not necessarily a good thing.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2016, 06:18 AM

yes, button on the der itself.

gemship
02-04-2016, 06:47 AM
I suppose I could just as well post this on that other etap thread regarding custom bikes built for etap. So...I think the wireless shifting is exciting in that it seems like and please someone correct me here...the point of wireless shifting is it can be put on an old frame with relative ease.

MattTuck
02-04-2016, 07:16 AM
I was against drilling holes in frames (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=128548) before it was cool to believe in the dream of wireless shifting.

velomonkey
02-04-2016, 07:39 AM
All things being equal wireless is awesome.

Electric is revolution and wireless is an evolution. Having EPS and a Colnago electric-only the bike is PLENTY clean looking. You really can't see the wires going in (cause it follows the same path as the rear break) and you can hardly see them coming out.

I got one battery - it lasts just a bit less than forever.

I gotta say, with EPS and a Di it is true - basically no one ever goes out and runs out of battery, these things last a long, long time.

ultraman6970
02-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Steel. no holes. perfection!

christian
02-04-2016, 08:52 AM
You want holes in steel. Otherwise it can rust from the inside!

(I don't know, I just can't get real excited about shifters. My R10 shifters still work 100%. Hydro brakes I can get behind because, well, they just work so much better. And Di2 is awesome. But I don't know if it's that much more awesome than my R10.)

PFSLABD
02-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Lots of people prefer automatic transmissions. Me, I prefer a stick shift. That goes for bicycles as well. I suppose I am old fashioned, but I like to read about the new and innovative stuff out there.

bicycletricycle
02-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Lots of people prefer automatic transmissions. Me, I prefer a stick shift. That goes for bicycles as well. I suppose I am old fashioned, but I like to read about the new and innovative stuff out there.

in this metaphor, what is the stick shift of bicycles?

I think brifters are like dual clutch paddle shifters and downtube shifters are stick shift.

ceolwulf
02-04-2016, 09:14 AM
If no one has converted a set of Dura Ace 10 speed down tube shifter into Di2 shifters yet, someone really should get on that.

(Should be easy enough, since they're just switches)

zap
02-04-2016, 09:15 AM
As an early ('94) user of electronic shifting sure, why not wireless. 12 speed too.

SRAM has a lot to prove to me.....quality, panache, no 80% discounts, etc.......so I will wait and see what Campagnolo brings to market. Maybe even Shimano.

thirdgenbird
To me, the beauty of full wireless isn't making new frames without holes, it's about using old frames without holes. I love riding retro mods. All that said, my record 10 rocks and I'm not a big SRAM fan.

christian
Stick shift (in RWD) means that you are manually moving the shift fork via the gear selector.

Obviously:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/CampagnolooParis%20Roubaix.JPG

bicycletricycle
02-04-2016, 09:20 AM
that would be like a non synchro manual transmission i think.

Stick shift (in RWD) means that you are manually moving the shift fork via the gear selector.

Obviously:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/CampagnolooParis%20Roubaix.JPG

bicycletricycle
02-04-2016, 09:21 AM
To me, the beauty of full wireless isn't making new frames without holes, it's about using old frames without holes. I love riding retro mods. All that said, my record 10 rocks and I'm not a big SRAM fan.

i think that this is a nice possibility as well

especially if some firmware hacks allow it to shift older cassettes or freewheels, i'm thinking 126mm spaced frames.

Dustin
02-04-2016, 09:56 AM
A Force price level eTap that handles 11-36(or42) and I'll be all over it...

This would be cool for a CX or gravel bike. 1x11 (or 12) and you'd only have two batteries to worry about.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2016, 10:15 AM
This would be cool for a CX or gravel bike. 1x11 (or 12) and you'd only have two batteries to worry about.

Pretty sure you'd still have 3. Right lever(higher gear), left lever(lower gear), rear Der. Not sure if it's possible to 'tell' system to work w/o a front Der.

apple
02-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Pretty sure you'd still have 3. Right lever(higher gear), left lever(lower gear), rear Der. Not sure if it's possible to 'tell' system to work w/o a front Der.

Are the front two shifters not connected with a wire and to only one battery?

Vinci
02-04-2016, 10:29 AM
I am really excited to see how eTap works. Further, I am excited that Sram is taking the opportunity to break out of the cable-defined ergonomics and leverage the electronics to set up their shifting differently.

There is an awesome opportunity with electronic to really tweak and modify how it is used, if a manufacturer allows it or someone clever cracks the code.

Shift any distance you want (1-N speeds), skip gears, re-map buttons, whatever. It could be really cool and wireless means it could easily work on even really old bikes with no accommodations for even modern cable systems.

The problem Sram is going to have with the first eTap is that it's the first. It's going to have problems, like everyone else's first try. People will use that to reinforce their own "Sram sucks" attitude if it fails. If it succeeds, some people will still say "Sram sucks" simply because it isn't one of the others.

bicycletricycle
02-04-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm sure a 1x11 solution will be workable sooner or later.

biker72
02-04-2016, 10:34 AM
Maybe not really excited but definitely interested.
I'll wait for the Shimano version generation 2.

crankles
02-04-2016, 10:51 AM

Yep. The Di2/hydro bike I raced this year had real advantages...and I've destroyed far more rear mechs and shiftlevers from road crashes over the years than I have in CX. Besides. I can't race road anymore so the CX bikes get all the love ;-)

That being said, the bike i'm building is primarily an SS disc. I was going to use trp hylex until I realized tha by using rocker dropouts, it could do double duty using etap.

kgreene10
02-04-2016, 10:51 AM
I'm interested in the possibility of fairly easily sharing a wireless group across my everyday training and race bike, on the one hand, and my S&S travel bike, on the other. I only travel 2-3 times per year with my S&S and it looks like it might only add a bit of hassle and some new bar tape to literally remove the wireless bits from the racer and install them on the coupler (and then back again). Maybe it's a silly idea -- I'm just day-dreaming about possible ways to use it.

guido
02-04-2016, 10:54 AM

I'm not looking for 1x just wider cassette support that Red currently offers...

oldpotatoe
02-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Are the front two shifters not connected with a wire and to only one battery?

2 shifters, two batteries, 2032 watch batteries. And ya need both shifters to shift one(rear) derailleur.

Bob Ross
02-04-2016, 02:29 PM
it looks like it might only add a bit of hassle and some new bar tape to literally remove the wireless bits from the racer and install them on the coupler

The bar tape seems like it might be a dealbreaker...but what if you simply moved the entire stem/bar/levers from one bike to the other?

djg21
02-04-2016, 02:31 PM
The bar tape seems like it might be a dealbreaker...but what if you simply moved the entire stem/bar/levers from one bike to the other?

There is bar tape that is reusable, for instance Handlebra. It does seem like a huge hassle though.

sandyrs
02-04-2016, 02:47 PM

I think moving the bars and everything attached from one bike to another isn't a bad solution as long as your buddy from out of town doesn't need to borrow your other bike while he's visiting

bicycletricycle
02-04-2016, 02:50 PM
what if the shifter is just a tiny rubber band mounted thing with buttons on it like a knog tail light? you could switch it super fast?

maybe they could make it small enough to just slip into the hood.

kgreene10
02-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Good, except for one problem -- brakes. It's no biggie to remove the brake cables from the non-travel bike; however, the S&S bike uses cable splitters that are a pain to wire.

I have never had reason to try it, but maybe I could tape off the bar tape in two sections -- one for below the shifters and one above. Unwrapping and re-wrapping the lower section would be a snap. And, in my case, we are only talking about travel 2-3 times a year.

Anyway, when I hit my Powerball numbers, I'll be able to buy all the eTap I want, so there.

That reminds me of a fun Planet Money (NPR) podcast about a guy who won massive amounts of lottery money in games all over the world by buying every possible ticket combination. The economics and logistics of it made for a good listen.

batman1425
02-04-2016, 04:20 PM
What about getting a second set of clamps where the shifters attach to the bars? Put the second set on the the other bars where you want them and tape as usual (no figure 8 pattern but a small consolation)- probably best to do with the hoods installed so the tape ends up in the right places then just remove hoods.

When you want to swap, undo the shifter clamp bolts, the brake cable pinch, and pull the whole, cable and all. Swap the cable for one size for the other bike, thread it, and re-attach.

Not sure how fiddly it would be to hook up the cable on your SS, but I can imagine the swap taking all of 5min + whatever the time to hook up the cable on the SS is.

jimcav
02-04-2016, 05:28 PM
I tried this in 2003 in DC area--felt I had years of riding, was strong etc. I immediately added brakes (safety 1st) and pretty quickly did the flip-flop to do SS. So, everything after that is a slope--drawing a line on that slope it is silly to me. to each his own.
I have gears and sometimes don't use them (more often on MTB flowy stuff). I sometimes push a hard gear on a hill or into the wind just to do it. right now, IF I had a motor in my bike I'd use it--at least then I'd be riding outside while my Achilles heals versus sitting here at a computer in boot
If I had the cash my only free set of wheels were campy, and I'd have loved to do EPS, instead I swapped freehubs here and will build it up shimano (again if I had $ I'd do eTAP). I had Di2 7970 on my IF and the Ellis I briefly had (man, great bike), and I loved it, only downside was the initial $ (bought used, still pricey)

YMMV

Bob Ross
02-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Good, except for one problem -- brakes. It's no biggie to remove the brake cables from the non-travel bike; however, the S&S bike uses cable splitters that are a pain to wire.

Set up both bikes with cable splitters on the rear brake, and take the front brake with you?

:::dancing banana:::

kgreene10
02-04-2016, 08:03 PM
What about getting a second set of clamps where the shifters attach to the bars? .

Ooh, nice! Wireless seems like it will generate all sorts of creative ideas. I think it will be fun.

bfd
02-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Steel. no holes. perfection!

So you don't have any bottle cages on your steel frame bike?! Or do you use a water bottle clamp?!

Good Luck!

oldpotatoe
02-05-2016, 06:19 AM
Good, except for one problem -- brakes. .

The answer-Kinda wordy but in a nutshell, electronic wireless brakes!!

https://www.google.com/patents/US20140352478?dq=shimano+wireless&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX1f-278rKAhXG8x4KHSbVCPU4FBDoAQhTMAg

kgreene10
02-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Can anyone here honestly imagine a time when we rely on wireless brakes? Maybe I'm ignorant (strike the maybe), but would we be willing to descend at 90kph or ride in traffic on the theory that the wireless protocol will never, ever fail?

Mark McM
02-05-2016, 10:44 AM
The answer-Kinda wordy but in a nutshell, electronic wireless brakes!!

https://www.google.com/patents/US20140352478?dq=shimano+wireless&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX1f-278rKAhXG8x4KHSbVCPU4FBDoAQhTMAg

If you read this patent carefully, you'll see that it is not for electric brakes. Instead, it is for mounting a wireless electronic control and/or notification device on the brake lever. It never says anything about the wireless control device actually controlling the brake. The only mention of how the brakes are controlled is a passing reference to a Bowden cable attached to the "brake operating member" (the brake lever).

Basically, what this patent is about is moving the wireless controller to somewhere on the brake lever blade instead of within the body of the lever, so that the body of the lever can be smaller and more comfortable in the hand. This is somewhat analogous to how most (mechanical) STI levers actually place the shifting mechanism on the brake lever blade, instead of inside the body of the lever like on Campagnolo systems.

djg21
02-22-2016, 06:26 PM
This has me really intrigued.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yvnoJBVeJq8

I'd like to see more about the shifting motion. I'm not sure I followed the demo about simultaneously shifting both the front and rear derailleurs. But the batteries don't concern me at all given that they are removable for charging and swappable.

Nevermind: on shifting -- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPhrUVlYDao

ultraman6970
02-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Have to be honest, the sram guys really got something fresh with this product, that doesnt mean I think is reliable/or not, because i have no idea about sram at all.

Wonder if a campagnolo 11 wheel will work fine with this thing.

stien
02-22-2016, 07:30 PM
I saw a quick video of an etap derailleur working in a fish tank. Pretty snazzy.

makoti
02-22-2016, 08:07 PM
I saw a quick video of an etap derailleur working in a fish tank. Pretty snazzy.

That'll come in handy, next time I ride off the pier.

stien
02-22-2016, 08:33 PM
That'll come in handy, next time I ride off the pier.

Surely, or perhaps if you ride in the rain and then need to clean your bike without worrying about the onboard electronics....

bcroslin
02-22-2016, 08:37 PM
Surely, or perhaps if you ride in the rain and then need to clean your bike without worrying about the onboard electronics....

That thought never occurred to me. Is cleaning a bike with an electronic group an issue if you use soap and water?

stien
02-22-2016, 08:41 PM
That thought never occurred to me. Is cleaning a bike with an electronic group an issue if you use soap and water?

Not that I've experienced. I don't use soap though.

I was just replying to a smartass comment about an electronic group being waterproof.

livingminimal
02-22-2016, 09:01 PM

No. Teams soap and hose their electronic bikes all the time after races.

markoprotic
02-22-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm looking forward to hear some feedback on e-tap. My friend is getting a Merckx SanRemo76 build with this group.
In my opinion, I think it will take some time to get used to the shifting .... both sides at same time operate front derailleur, right side up, left side down.

bikinchris
02-22-2016, 10:26 PM
I'm looking forward to hear some feedback on e-tap. My friend is getting a Merckx SanRemo76 build with this group.
In my opinion, I think it will take some time to get used to the shifting .... both sides at same time operate front derailleur, right side up, left side down.

OOO, bike porn.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 06:20 AM

Don't call me Surley---get it??

Campagnolo put their EPS under 3 feet of water, shifted it for 24 hours straight, to make sure it's water proof.

livingminimal
02-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Don't call me Surley---get it??

Campagnolo put their EPS under 3 feet of water, shifted it for 24 hours straight, to make sure it's water proof.

After the infamous bike-on-the-roof-in-the-rain incident they had to. haha.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 07:03 AM
After the infamous bike-on-the-roof-in-the-rain incident they had to. haha.

That is correct..during the Giro no less.

Vinci
02-23-2016, 09:21 AM
This has me really intrigued.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yvnoJBVeJq8

I'd like to see more about the shifting motion. I'm not sure I followed the demo about simultaneously shifting both the front and rear derailleurs. But the batteries don't concern me at all given that they are removable for charging and swappable.

Nevermind: on shifting -- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPhrUVlYDao
I could be misinterpreting, but it sounds like the only thing that keeps Sram from saying that eTap is 1x11 compatible is the lack of a clutch-type rear derailleur and 28T cassette limit.

I like the sound of not having to buy the whole kit to setup a 1x...