PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale EVO - feedback

Clydesdale
02-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Looking to add a road bike to the stable and have had my eye on a c'dale. Can anyone tell what they like/don't like about the evo and if the Hi-mod is appreciably "better."

Thanks

nate2351
02-03-2016, 11:08 AM
They ride very well, and are super light. My only qualm was I wanted a steeper HT angle. The handling is very predictable but I like "flicky" bikes.

Cicli
02-03-2016, 11:35 AM
I loved mine. It fit well and rode well. The end was when I ran into issues with some of the larger 25mm tires in the rear. If I cant comfortably run a 25-27mm tire it goes on the chopping block.

beeatnik
02-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Clyde, how much do you weigh?

Clydesdale
02-03-2016, 11:45 AM
I bounce between 210 and 225 depending on time of year and diet/discipline.

beeatnik
02-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Do you care about "power transfer" or "stiffness" on a carbon bike?

Gummee
02-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Rode a friend's EVO. Nice riding bike overall.

Bikes are easy to move on if you decide you don't like it. Try it out and see!

M

Clydesdale
02-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Do you care about "power transfer" or "stiffness" on a carbon bike?

Not really, I like a solid feeling through the bb and stays, but I don't stand a whole lot so the "stiffness" thing is less important to me than overall feel and handling. The EVO intrigues me, the reviews are good, and the prices on used ones seem reasonable so I'm curious.

-dustin
02-03-2016, 12:07 PM
They're boring. Uninspiring.

But, they do everything well.

If you've never had a carbon wonder bike, it'll blow you away.

beeatnik
02-03-2016, 12:11 PM
I rode my HM Evo most when I was in the high 140s/low 150s and the frame felt a little soft. I thought the handling was pretty telepathic; best I've experienced on a road bike in tight cornering. If you're looking at a first generation EVO, the price to performance ratio is unbeatable on the non HM frames and probably a better frame for a 2 buck plus rider. If you're thinking 2016 Evo, the HM may be fine as the BB is now BB30+ and beefier. Check this out:

http://www.giantbicycledealers.com/intercom/PDF_media/MY2016_TCR_Trinity_Launchbooks.pdf

http://www.twowheelscycles.com/giant/WinWithGiant--RoadFrameTestData.pdf

Davist
02-03-2016, 12:31 PM
have one, like it a lot, moved up from CAAD10. I have the "regular" model, it's plenty light and stiff for me. NEW ('16) versions have room for wider tires, mine ('14) has trouble with Archetypes (23mm rims) and Michelin 25s in the back. Conti 4k seems ok in 25 so far..

I'm 185-190, have a buddy at 210 who rides same one all the time, good bikes.

pro12tc
02-03-2016, 12:40 PM
It's the best carbon bike I've owned. Very solid/telepathic handling. The Speed Save "micro-suspension" really does work.

I moved from a Specialized Tarmac to the EVO and it was a revelation. Much more comfortable and stable than the Tarmac (to me).

It does have a longer top tube than the Tarmac so it may be a bit more "stretched out".

I only ride 25's and have not had any problems with fit. Conti GP4000's, Maxxis Padrones, and Mavic GripLink/PowerLink all fit with no issues.

bcroslin
02-03-2016, 01:00 PM
I've been riding a 2014 Hi-Mod for almost a year now and I love it. Handling is super predictable and it's about as comfortable as a stiff, race bike can be. Headtube isn't too tall or too short and the rear triangle stays planted under power. IMO Cannondale is sort of like Colnago in that they don't mess around with a tried and true design. There are definitely sexier bikes on the market that boast aero lines and proprietary doo-dads but the beauty of the Evo is that it's about as straight forward and unpretentious as you can get. Want integrated everything and internal cables - an EVO is the wrong bike. It's almost quaint these days that the only proprietary piece of the bike is the BB30 bottom bracket that the rest of the industry has adapted to the point that it's not really proprietary anymore. And if you hate press fit BB's you can simply install a Praxis adapter like I did and no more BB/PF 30. The 2016 Hi-Mod has a few improvements here and there but not so many that a 2014/15 isn't worth looking at. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 2016 non-Hi-Mod Evo is the same as the older 2014/15 Hi-Mod?

Anyway, bottom line, great bike and I highly recommend it.

beeatnik
02-03-2016, 01:02 PM
IMO Cannondale is sort of like Colnago in that they don't mess around with a tried and true design.

This

02-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Yeah. And I hate to say it, but I'm riding a 2015 CAAD10 Ultegra more than I'm riding a Dura Ace Moots. It's just a nice, nice, ride. I got the CAAD as a winter ride where I didn't want to invest in the SuperSix Evo HiMod, but that Moots is starting to smell the auction block ahead. I keep test riding the Evo and the Evo HiMod for 2016, plus the 2015 HiMod, and really really like the feeling. I'd go for the HiMod because in sprints it feels a bit more responsive, though I can't say I'm really any faster on it. Just feels like you always wanted a carbon frame to ride. The 2016 is discernibly more comfortable than the 2015 and seems to be a little stiffer, though that's subjective. Certainly the 2016 has more tire clearances, which I like. I love custom bikes, but this one is really pretty cool.

bcroslin
02-03-2016, 03:35 PM
It's really worth riding a CAAD12 as well. If I was looking to replace my EVO right now I'd probably just buy a CAAD12 and be done with it. Same geometry and full carbon fork as an EVO Hi-Mod.

Muffin Man
02-03-2016, 04:02 PM
I absolutely love mine. Coming from my old Dean Ti bike, this thing is a dream. The Dean just kinda floated over the road and smoothed out all the bumps, and I always felt kinda disconnected from the road when I was riding. Climbing out of the saddle was an experience because the fork/headtube area flexed so much.

The supersix evo (non hi-mod) solved all those problems for me and I love riding this thing. Lighter frame/fork, comfortable over longer distances, much stiffer in all the right areas, corners like a demon, and looks good while doing it.

Clydesdale
02-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Sounds very much like the reviews I have found. I appreciate the feedback.

tbike4
02-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Handling is super predictable and it's about as comfortable as a stiff, race bike can be. Headtube isn't too tall or too short

I will second or 3rd this. I bought a second hand 2013 Hi-Mod in 2014, put a 7900 group and 1400 gram aluminum clinchers on it. It's insanely light, I think it weighed it at 15.4 pounds with 7810 pedals and bottle cages. I still ride my Atlanta and Tommasini more often but if you want GO when you STOMP pick this one.

Davist
02-03-2016, 04:57 PM
It's really worth riding a CAAD12 as well. If I was looking to replace my EVO right now I'd probably just buy a CAAD12 and be done with it. Same geometry and full carbon fork as an EVO Hi-Mod.

Did they change the geometry with the CAAD12? I have a CAAD10 and an EVO and the EVO has a little quicker handling ('12 CAAD, '14 EVO both same size and set up).

EDIT: Just went to bikes, it appears the CAAD fork has a bit more offset, which may explain it. My eyeballs aren't certified for trade, YMMV, etc.

bcroslin
02-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Did they change the geometry with the CAAD12? I have a CAAD10 and an EVO and the EVO has a little quicker handling ('12 CAAD, '14 EVO both same size and set up).

EDIT: Just went to bikes, it appears the CAAD fork has a bit more offset, which may explain it. My eyeballs aren't certified for trade, YMMV, etc.

I rode a CAAD10 before switching to an EVO and every geometry chart I looked at said the two were 99% identical. Both bikes handle exactly the same but the CAAD10 was stiffer and more unforgiving on bad asphalt. With that said, a CAAD10/12 with 25's and a little lower psi and I probably wouldn't feel a difference.

wasfast
02-03-2016, 10:27 PM
Have a 2012 EVO HiMod. Fabulous bike. No way it's "soft". I'm 185lbs and it's super solid. I have a 52cm, frame weighs 740g.

kramnnim
03-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Wondering if the OP bought an Evo, and if he has any comments? Or anyone else who missed this thread the first time. Someone local has a himod my size for $900, 2013 model I think based on the paint.

Clydesdale
03-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Still have my eye out and still thinking I will likely try one out.

r_mutt
03-03-2016, 11:56 AM
great ride and feel. handling is like everyone says- about as good as a bike can get. not sexy, and aggressive in fit- just a bit longer and lower than most. a true race bike.

pff
03-03-2016, 12:09 PM
I had both an evo and hi-mod evo in 63cm. Both were terrifying to ride. Slow to turn until you reach an inflection point then takes a dive. Always feels like it's about to skid out. YMMV. Smaller geos might handle more sanely, but I've ridden equally large bikes from spec, parlee, and bmc and all were way, way better.

Also the frameset in 63cm is ~1450g (with hardware and bb) which is about a pound heavier than the figure they quote for 54cm bikes or whatever.

03-03-2016, 01:17 PM
To the point above, the flop in front is such that this is definitely a bike you want to countersteer. If you try to force it around without countersteering, it tries to track straight and you won't like the handling. But countersteering is the proper way to steer a bike anyway, and is important here.

A lot more time spent on a 2016 Evo Hi Mod and I'm liking it more and more. It does have a fairly low front end (short head tube) for its size, so do plan for that and go up a size if you don't want a lot of drop. I can make it flex laterally, but have to try to do so. Vertically it's possibly the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden without feeling dead (dead as in old Alan or Exxon Graftek). It's actually as if someone said to emulate a really good light steel frame.

I race a Crumpton and would rate the Crumpton over the Evo Hi Mod, but then, a lot of that is because the Crumpton is custom to my spec and it also costs more than twice as much. But if I were buying anything less than high end full custom, the Evo Hi Mod is an unbeatable deal and an absolutely amazing bike for the price. Entirely professional quality. Yes, I can buy better (like Crumpton) but for a bike I can just thrash, why buy a Colnago or Pinarello or similar frame when the Evo Hi Mod does it better?

mistermo
03-09-2016, 05:01 PM
For 2016, they've discontinued the framesets with the nano carbon, which is even higher than the hi mod. Cannondale rep told me they couldn't continue to make it and meet their price point. I have several friends who ride the hi mod and rave about it. They've got some excellent closeout deals on the 2015 Black Inc nano carbon Supersix. I just ordered one.

kramnnim
03-09-2016, 05:19 PM
They've got some excellent closeout deals on the 2015 Black Inc nano carbon Supersix. I just ordered one.

Hmm, months ago I heard the same thing, and was then told they were sold out. Can you disclose the price?

kramnnim
03-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Called a dealer and was told they only have 60s and 63s left. :(

I need a 54, and could settle for a regular Himod with Red 22 (yay) for $3.9k... :banana:

ckamp
03-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Love my 63cm, don't have the above mentioned cornering issue. Agree with a lot that 11.4 says about sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clydesdale
07-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Evo Hi Mod new to me as of Wednesday. Only about 40 miles on it so far but it is impressive. Rides fantastic, handles great, is stupid light and "stiff" (whatever that means). Came with different seat, setbackpost and stem, but I'm working on the fit so I put some of my familiar stuff on to shorten the reach a little at first. Still tweaking some things. The original owner liked the front end a little higher than I probably will so I may end up down a few cms on the steer tube but I'll put some miles in first. It feels great without any chatter and not even close to rough. It could be the excitement talking but it feels at least as good as the steel frames I have been on? I can't wait to get it out for longer rides. Haven't tried to corner hard but the tracking seems good and the handling is a nice mix of agile without being twitchy. Kind of casually finds a line and then stays there (very early impression).

Thanks for the good advice and suggestions. So far I am loving this thing.

Keith A
07-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Looks nice, I like the paint scheme.

MaraudingWalrus
07-15-2016, 03:21 PM
I've had several. HiMod is appreciably nicer, somehow. Which is impressive because even the standard evo is sweet. The new ones are even crazier.

Don't sleep on the CAAD12s, though...

tbike4
07-15-2016, 03:54 PM
The original owner liked the front end a little higher than I probably will so I may end up down a few cms on the steer tube but I'll put some miles in first.

I hope you don't cut the steerer. I am guessing you will move the stem below the spacers. I bought my frame used and the steerer was cut to slam the stem. I still love it but it would be nice to have the flexibility to raise the stem.

This bike begs to be ridden like you are being chased by a rabid dog or grizzly bear. The harder the better.

blantonator
07-15-2016, 05:09 PM
I picked up a '12 hi mod on eBay 2 years ago for like a grand. It's such a great bike.

sparky33
07-17-2016, 06:32 AM
The Hi-Mod sounds great and the geometry is right there for me.
Why is the C'dale SiSL2 crankset so darn pricey?

Hilltopperny
07-17-2016, 07:16 AM
I sold my supersix a few weeks ago and am kind of regretting it. It was just a no nonsense bike that rides like a bullet. I ended up with a di2 equipped tcr advanced as a replacement. The tcr is a fantastic bike as well, but the supersix is probably the best carbon bike I've ridden to date and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. It just does everything well.

Ralph
07-17-2016, 10:30 AM
I sold my supersix a few weeks ago and am kind of regretting it. It was just a no nonsense bike that rides like a bullet. I ended up with a di2 equipped tcr advanced as a replacement. The tcr is a fantastic bike as well, but the supersix is probably the best carbon bike I've ridden to date and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. It just does everything well.

I kinda feel the same way about my recently purchased 2015 new (For $592 shipped E bay) CAAD 10. Some folks talk about "upgrading" to a carbon Hi Mod. But for a whole bunch more money....how is that a better value? Or even a better bike? I think these C Dales give you a lot of bike....compared to bikes costing lots more. Probably the only down side is they don't cost enough to get the reputation of a Parlee or similar. Maybe they need to double the price to get better desirability and reputation. Folks tend to lust after things they can barely afford. Just human nature.

spiderman
07-17-2016, 11:49 AM
I'm guessing you ride in the drops
A little more often than on your IF...
Maybe sometime in the next couple weeks
We could get out for a spin
While I'm still between jobs;)

bcroslin
07-17-2016, 01:15 PM
I recently started riding a CAAD12 and I'm happy to report it feels almost identical to my Evo hi-mod. I'm running 25's with a little lower pressure and the Cinelli Chubby bar tape and dare I say the bike is actually more comfortable than the Evo. Only downside is that the frame set appears to be 7-8 ounces heavier.

cinema
07-17-2016, 02:02 PM
but can it clear 28s?

blantonator
07-17-2016, 04:22 PM
probably. my EVO can fit 28's depending on the tire/wheel. I wear 26's with Pacenti SL rims.

Cicli
07-17-2016, 04:38 PM
Mine had issues with a 25 out back on a 19mm rim. Probably really measured about 26 though. The main reason I sold it.

mg2ride
07-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Looking to add a road bike to the stable and have had my eye on a c'dale. Can anyone tell what they like/don't like about the evo and if the Hi-mod is appreciably "better."

Thanks

The strongest Clyde I know rides a Hi-Mod and raves about it.

Of course like most luxury hobbyists, he raves about everything that he drops many $1000s on.

bcroslin
07-18-2016, 09:09 AM
but can it clear 28s?

I'm going to say yes

reggiebaseball
07-25-2016, 04:27 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread,
I recently was fence-sitting and this helped me decide to give a 2015 Evo Nano a shot,
I am going to eTap it and see how it goes.

beeatnik
07-25-2016, 04:37 PM
probably. my EVO can fit 28's depending on the tire/wheel. I wear 26's with Pacenti SL rims.

Pre-2015 Evos were designed for a 23. Current generation is good up to 27ish.

bcroslin
07-25-2016, 05:54 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread,
I recently was fence-sitting and this helped me decide to give a 2015 Evo Nano a shot,

#dreambike

mistermo
07-25-2016, 09:46 PM

My plan exactly. I've got the Black Inc Nano and I'm about to pull the trigger on eTap too.

reggiebaseball
07-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Can anybody tell me the OD of the seat tube 2012-2015, so I Can source the proper size Deda Dog Fang (chain catcher)
thanks

Cicli
07-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Can anybody tell me the OD of the seat tube 2012-2015, so I Can source the proper size Deda Dog Fang (chain catcher)
thanks

You wont be able to run one. The seat tube is not round below the braze on. Get a K-edge or similar that mounts on the front derailuer bolt.