PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Power Saddle Owners

tjk23
02-03-2016, 07:24 AM
I need some help. I'm trying this saddle again and I'm having trouble getting the setup right. My previous saddle, after trying a SMP Dynamic for a while, was a Romin. I always ran the Romin dead level nose to tail. Looking for input on what has worked for others. Wondering if someone could actually post a picture with a level on the saddle?

R3awak3n
02-03-2016, 07:27 AM
The part that needs to be level on the power is the nose, the nose ahould be perfect leveled with the floor. The tail till kick up and that is how its suppose to be. What I did was put the level only on the nose.

Can post pics later

MattTuck
02-03-2016, 07:32 AM
I am 3 or 4 degrees nose up.

Everyone's pubic rami and sit bones are different. I think you need to try a few different tilts and find what works for you.

yashcha
02-03-2016, 07:32 AM
Have mine with the tail kicked up, nose parallel to floor.
Love the saddle.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/yashcha/image_zps0ja6c0z6.jpeg (http://s50.photobucket.com/user/yashcha/media/image_zps0ja6c0z6.jpeg.html)

R3awak3n
02-03-2016, 07:38 AM
The power looks great on that seven. Doesn't even look like its a short saddle. I run mine similar to that.

Start nose parallel to the floor then as you test t nose it a few degrees up or down till you get it right.

This saddle is awesome buy, only trainer miles n mine which within 15 makes you know how well the saddle works, so far so good.

bianchi10
02-03-2016, 07:54 AM
I run my power saddle about 3 or 4 mm more forward than I did with my romin evo and also tilt the nose down a bit. Running the power saddle totally level from tail to nose like the romin evo gave me a little chaffing.

Ralph
02-03-2016, 10:31 AM
I started off with the middle to nose area level. Wound up riding it middle to nose area slightly nose up....but just barely.

If you level it front to back....the nose is way up....and it will eat up the insides of your legs.

Been saddle hunting the last few years....and finally found a saddle I can ride several days in a row. Probably favoring some degenerative changes. And recent fit has me riding about 5/8" higher than ever before. And it still works for my butt. And the way it's designed....was able to go one width wider to a 155 instead of 143 previously. I'm not large at 5' 10" and 157 lbs. This saddle also works for time trialing....so works well with bikes that have a big seat to bar drop.

nate2351
02-03-2016, 11:18 AM
As mentioned, start by leveling off the nose and proceed from there.

From what you said about setting up your Romin, leveling from nose to tail, that would result in the saddle being slightly nose up. For a Romin just level the middle third of the saddle, this leaves the tail up higher than the nose.

But, if what you've been doing is working for you that's great too.

Britishbane
02-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Does specialized make a saddle with a similar profile but just a bit longer in the nose?

Benneke
02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I used to have a Romin, then moved to an SMP Dynamic, and now I have a Power on both of my road bikes. When I had a Romin, it was very slightly angled down, maybe 2-3 degrees. I ran my Dynamic with an aggressive downward angle around 15-20 degrees (I was always fiddling with it). Now I run my Power saddles with a 10 degree downward angle on my race bike and an 8 degree angle on my winter/gravel bike, and they feel great!

Benneke
02-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Does specialized make a saddle with a similar profile but just a bit longer in the nose?

The Specialized Phenom mtb saddle is VERY similar to the Power, but it has a longer nose and a slightly smaller cutout. I see people with Phenom saddles on their road bikes pretty frequently (although many former Phenom riders have switched to the Power since it came out).

dton
02-03-2016, 12:32 PM

The new 2016 Romin Evo has a veryyy similar profile to the Power but with a longer nose. The 2016 model is 1 cm shorter than previous which was shorter than the Romin. From what I can tell, previous Romin Evo's had more similarities to the regular Romin in side profile. That's no longer the case.

I'm testing both right now and also came from a regular Romin. Can post some pics if interested.

Unfortunately what I didn't like was the Romin Evo Pro has a carbon reinforced shell with carbon rails while the Power pro has a full carbon shell with Ti rails. I'd prefer my shell to be full carbon over the rails.

yashcha
02-03-2016, 06:07 PM
The power looks great on that seven. Doesn't even look like its a short saddle. I run mine similar to that.

Start nose parallel to the floor then as you test t nose it a few degrees up or down till you get it right.

This saddle is awesome buy, only trainer miles n mine which within 15 makes you know how well the saddle works, so far so good.

Thank you, once you get used to the look, something like the arione looks really really long.

bianchi10
02-03-2016, 06:16 PM
The new 2016 Romin Evo has a veryyy similar profile to the Power but with a longer nose. The 2016 model is 1 cm shorter than previous which was shorter than the Romin. From what I can tell, previous Romin Evo's had more similarities to the regular Romin in side profile. That's no longer the case.

I'm testing both right now and also came from a regular Romin. Can post some pics if interested.

Unfortunately what I didn't like was the Romin Evo Pro has a carbon reinforced shell with carbon rails while the Power pro has a full carbon shell with Ti rails. I'd prefer my shell to be full carbon over the rails.

I would bag to differ that the Romin Evo is similar to the Power. Much more of a dip and shape to the romin evo IMO

dton
02-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Are you referring to the refreshed 2016 evo? I'll have to take a few pictures this evening. No side profile shots online unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bianchi10
02-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Are you referring to the refreshed 2016 evo? I'll have to take a few pictures this evening. No side profile shots online unfortunately.

Oh, sorry didn't realize it had been redesigned for 2016. I withdraw my statement then if thats the case.

dton
02-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Oh, sorry didn't realize it had been redesigned for 2016. I withdraw my statement then if thats the case.

Just for reference. Two quick pics of the new evo.

rwerkudara
02-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Just for reference. Two quick pics of the new evo.

That looks nice! Tried the power for a few weeks and couldn't get it to work fo me. This looks like a nice compromise between the older romin and the power.

crossjunkee
02-18-2016, 11:17 AM
First ride planned on the Power today. It better be life changing because I'm have a hard time getting past the look! I know, sounds silly.

I've been happy with the Toupe, but I've broken two of them (one was on my CX bike).

Has anybody changed sizes over the years? I've always ridden a 143 in Spesh saddles, but when we remeasured I came out to a 155. Just curious if that's a common thing. Do sit bones change over time?

rnhood
02-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Sit bones don't change but the rolloff, or "roundness" can mean two identical width saddles have different effective widths. So one company's 143 might not feel wide enough, whereas another company's 143 might even feel too wide. Maybe people that ride a 143 Toupe will ride a 155 Romin for this very reason. I was one of the. The Power was not my favorite saddle but it wasn't that bad. Since I was riding a 155 Romin, I went with the 155 Power but ultimately it felt too wide and I had some chafing issues. So I went to a 143 Power and the fit was good. If you're going to try one, I recommend a 143 based on your comments.

crossjunkee
02-18-2016, 03:05 PM
Sit bones don't change but the rolloff, or "roundness" can mean two identical width saddles have different effective widths. So one company's 143 might not feel wide enough, whereas another company's 143 might even feel too wide. Maybe people that ride a 143 Toupe will ride a 155 Romin for this very reason. I was one of the. The Power was not my favorite saddle but it wasn't that bad. Since I was riding a 155 Romin, I went with the 155 Power but ultimately it felt too wide and I had some chafing issues. So I went to a 143 Power and the fit was good. If you're going to try one, I recommend a 143 based on your comments.

Well, I didn't hate it. I actually really liked how it felt under me. I would also say the width felt ok too. I started with front level to the ground. But about 5 miles in my hands started to tingle, and I felt I was putting more weight on the bars. Stopped and nosed up a few mm's. Still felt good under me, but felt it was still pushing me forward. I also LOVED not feeling the saddle nose when pedaling. It felt awesome in the drops! I'm not if I'm explaining right or what the solution might be. Or is there's even a problem. I'm wondering if I should give the 2016 Romin a go since it's a little shorter.

R3awak3n
02-18-2016, 08:16 PM
the refresh evo looks really good.

crossjunkee
02-19-2016, 10:13 AM
the refresh evo looks really good.

I think so too. I never got along with the standard Romin or older EVO. But the 2016 has a similar cutout to the Power, shorter, and narrower nose.

Riding the Power again today (20 miles) and through the weekend (50 - 60 miles each day). If I feel like it keeps pushing me forward or making my hands tingle I'm going to try the 2016 EVO.

weightshift
03-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Bumping this one a little:

I switched to a Power recently (a Romin Evo didn't work for me), partly due to the opinions here and have really come to like it a lot. So much so, that my previous saddle for 7 years, the Fizik Aliante (which I started to develop some issues with) is now done.

My question/thoughts-seeking: I have the Power on the road bike, but I'm not sure if it'd work as well, given it's short nose, for my CX rig and dirt. I'd imagine I need something with a nose for stability and platform and scooching around on dirt, so I was curious if anyone is either:

a) Running a Power saddle on their dirt rig, and if so, if that's working out at all — any differences in angle or position adjustments on a dirt rig?
b) What would be the dirt equivalent of it? A Phenom?

(I'm a little loathe to swap the Power onto the CX rig, mostly because I've dialed in the Power to a really good spot and fear losing it).

Ralph
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Specialized must be having a sale.

My first Specialized Power saddle was a Comp from LBS. $99 minus 10% (club discount).

Bought another one Friday....$74.99 from same LBS.

stien
03-14-2016, 01:03 PM
And the expert is on sale for $100.

They're great saddles. I raced 2 crits on one yesterday.

bobswire
03-14-2016, 01:23 PM
And the expert is on sale for $100.

They're great saddles. I raced 2 crits on one yesterday.

What is the difference between the comp and expert, just the rails/weight? They have the comp for sale at $80.00 https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/power-comp/105522

weightshift
03-14-2016, 01:29 PM
To possibly answer my own question, I discovered that Ben Gomez Villafane (U23 CX racer) uses one for cross racing, so that seems to push back on the idea of a lack of nose/platform for remounts and the like.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/specialized-crux-pro-cx1-nats-bike-profile-ben-gomez-villafane

Bumping this one a little:

I switched to a Power recently (a Romin Evo didn't work for me), partly due to the opinions here and have really come to like it a lot. So much so, that my previous saddle for 7 years, the Fizik Aliante (which I started to develop some issues with) is now done.

My question/thoughts-seeking: I have the Power on the road bike, but I'm not sure if it'd work as well, given it's short nose, for my CX rig and dirt. I'd imagine I need something with a nose for stability and platform and scooching around on dirt, so I was curious if anyone is either:

a) Running a Power saddle on their dirt rig, and if so, if that's working out at all — any differences in angle or position adjustments on a dirt rig?
b) What would be the dirt equivalent of it? A Phenom?

(I'm a little loathe to swap the Power onto the CX rig, mostly because I've dialed in the Power to a really good spot and fear losing it).

weightshift
03-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Yep, cro-mo vs. ti rails. The Expert might be slightly more cosmetically better looking (the perforations on top).

What is the difference between the comp and expert, just the rails/weight? They have the comp for sale at $80.00 https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/power-comp/105522

bobswire
03-14-2016, 01:37 PM
To possibly answer my own question, I discovered that Ben Gomez Villafane (U23 CX racer) uses one for cross racing, so that seems to push back on the idea of a lack of nose/platform for remounts and the like.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/specialized-crux-pro-cx1-nats-bike-profile-ben-gomez-villafane

Holy cow he not only won but he won using the defective sram force drivetrain.:eek: Must have been the saddle the got him across the line in first. :)

Just kidding, it was his motor that got him across the line first. Anyway I'm am interested in the power saddle for long rides, so keep the reviews coming.

weightshift
03-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Hah!

I've been pretty happy with the saddle for ~50 milers. I haven't done anything longer just yet, but if at 50, the saddle still holds and is comfortable (i.e. I don't notice it and I feel stable/cradled), then it should hold for longer.

Holy cow he not only won but he won using the defective sram force drivetrain.:eek: Must have been the saddle the got him across the line in first. :)

Just kidding, it was his motor that got him across the line first. Anyway I'm am interested in the power saddle for long rides, so keep the reviews coming.

spartanKid
06-10-2016, 11:24 PM
Well since it seems to be a rarity around here, I'll post a negative review of the Specialized power.

Only took me two trainer rides to figure out that it definitely doesn't work for me, but I think most if not all has to do with the width.

I normally ride a 130 mm Toupe or Arione. After all the positive reviews, I went down to my local LBS to demo on. I went with the 143 as that's the narrowest one offered. I've tried a 143 Toupe before and it's wide enough that it digs into my hamstrings. That should've been my first clue the Power would be too wide.

For me and my narrow hips/wide legs, the gets wide way too quickly and it seems like I sit entirely on the cutout/nose and my sitbones never actually get to the saddle. Perhaps it would be nice if they made a 130 mm version.

Oh well! That's what demos are for!

R3awak3n
06-11-2016, 10:35 AM
You should stock on 130mm specialized saddles because if I remember correctly I read that they will not be doing 130mm saddles any more

spartanKid
06-11-2016, 01:13 PM
You should stock on 130mm specialized saddles because if I remember correctly I read that they will not be doing 130mm saddles any more

I have heard similar things too. I have been looking, and also starting to explore other similar shaped, narrower saddles.

Ralph
06-11-2016, 01:20 PM
It's important the Power saddle be adjusted properly. Depending on how much saddle to handlebar drop you run.....the starting point for adjustment is the front part of the saddle parallel to ground. Adjust accordingly after that. The back part of the saddle will be higher than the front. If saddle too high.....it will force you to sit on front of saddle too much. If you are feeling the edges (like it's too wide) ....lower a couple MM, maybe angle front down a tad, and sit further to rear....or move saddle forward a tad so you sit toward the rear. It may never be your favorite saddle, but most riders can ride this saddle with proper adjustment.

nate2351
06-11-2016, 01:41 PM

I think the Phemon is the only 130 option Spec offers anymore.

spartanKid
06-11-2016, 01:50 PM
It's important the Power saddle be adjusted properly. Depending on how much saddle to handlebar drop you run.....the starting point for adjustment is the front part of the saddle parallel to ground. Adjust accordingly after that. The back part of the saddle will be higher than the front. If saddle too high.....it will force you to sit on front of saddle too much. If you are feeling the edges (like it's too wide) ....lower a couple MM, maybe angle front down a tad, and sit further to rear....or move saddle forward a tad so you sit toward the rear. It may never be your favorite saddle, but most riders can ride this saddle with proper adjustment.

I spent a bunch of time on adjusting the saddle in various positions, heights, etc. I didn't feel like I "felt the edges" but instead the very middle of it, the middle being too broad, like it was wedging my thighs/hips apart