PDA

View Full Version : Serotta carbon/steel threaded 1" fork question:

Lewis Moon
02-03-2016, 07:06 AM
My '99 Atlanta came with a Serotta carbon/steel threaded 1" fork. While I'm absolutely tickled pink with the bike as a whole, it seems that the fork is rather stiff and rattles me a bit on bumpy roads; more so than my Felt F2, but less than my x-Night. I'm running 25mm Rubino Pro III tires (150 tpi) at ~90 psi. I'd rather not run them any lower at my weight and they seem to suffer a bit more rolling resistance at lower PSI.
My question is: would one of the more modern, all carbon 1" threadless forks give a bit better ride up front?

rwsaunders
02-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Sometimes wheels/tires can make a bigger difference than a fork. What wheels are you running? Also, don't discount the benefits of a steel fork vs carbon.

Lewis Moon
02-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Sometimes wheels/tires can make a bigger difference than a fork. What wheels are you running? Also, don't discount the benefits of a steel fork vs carbon.

I've had these wheels forever, on five different frames: XR300s to Sapim Lasers to BHS hubs. Never really had this issue before.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2016, 09:06 AM
My '99 Atlanta came with a Serotta carbon/steel threaded 1" fork. While I'm absolutely tickled pink with the bike as a whole, it seems that the fork is rather stiff and rattles me a bit on bumpy roads; more so than my Felt F2, but less than my x-Night. I'm running 25mm Rubino Pro III tires (150 tpi) at ~90 psi. I'd rather not run them any lower at my weight and they seem to suffer a bit more rolling resistance at lower PSI.
My question is: would one of the more modern, all carbon 1" threadless forks give a bit better ride up front?

The only 'disadvantage' to a well made steel fork is weight. Hard to beat the ride of a great steel fork, I put one on my Moots. Plus not a lot of all carbon 1 inch forks out there.

Lewis Moon
02-03-2016, 09:11 AM
The only 'disadvantage' to a well made steel fork is weight. Hard to beat the ride of a great steel fork, I put one on my Moots. Plus not a lot of all carbon 1 inch forks out there.

I may have to do that. I'm not as obsessive about weight since I gave up the insane notion that, at 6'5" and 185lbs, I might be able to mold myself into a climber w/o going "full Lance".

Mzilliox
02-03-2016, 09:26 AM
riding the same fork and setup. rode it for a bit with older mavic wheels. ride was a bit softer, more forgiving. now riding pacenti sl23 hubs, same tires, rides a bit more harsh on the bumps, but speed went up. if you had an extra set of wheels? i have also considered a steel fork on mine.

jet sanchez
02-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Hard to beat a fork that was designed to be the mate to a specific frame....maybe find a fork with a carbon fibre steerer?

I have a Colorado II that came with a carbon fibre Profile Julie RC fork that is nice but I've been on the hunt for a steel Serotta fork for awhile now, if anyone has a lead on one, please let me know.*

*sorry for the OT input but I want to get my Seroota repainted and would love to get a matching fork for it before painting

DRZRM
02-03-2016, 11:25 AM
There are a handful of Serotta F-3 full carbon forks out there with 1" steerers, I have an 8.5 on my Legend, but they were hard to find when Serotta was still open. This was a great replacement for the F-1 that came with the frame. At least a pound lighter but the ride feels just right.

There are a few other 1" carbon forks available out there (I think there were Easton, Ritchey, and Columbus IIRC). I've never ridden one, but folks have posted about good experiences.

Ken Robb
02-03-2016, 02:17 PM
I think you are describing a Serotta F-1 fork like the one I had on my CSi. I think I recall that Ben had it designed so the ride closely matched that of his lugged steel forks. I guess F-1 forks may have damped vibration a bit more vs. the steel forks but the F-1 with a steel steerer were/are heavy so I doubt there was much weight saved.

Hilltopperny
02-03-2016, 03:22 PM
I owned the atlanta with the f1 fork and loved the ride but I am only 5'9" and 200 lbs. I know it was a bit heavy but it always felt very stable and soaked up the rough stuff well. I have the 02 fork on my csi that certainly feels stiffer and a carbon serotta fork on my concours that isn't quite as stiff. I do love a proper steel fork more than any of the above mentioned forks for sure.

PETER REID
02-05-2016, 01:44 AM
Rubino Pro tires are cheap. I would upgrade to a quality tire like a Schwalbe Durano or One in the same size. I also have Schwalbe Ironman tires to sell in 700x22c in black or white. These tires are comparable to the One's at a fraction of the price. PM me for more information.

jzisk
02-05-2016, 04:47 AM
Maybe a new thread, but the 1" Columbus Minimal full carbon fork is great-- agile and not too stiff.

Pierre
02-05-2016, 08:35 AM
If you are looking to save weight, go for the full carbon fork however I'm not sure that will do much for the vibrations. Maybe a full carbon bar instead?
If you were keen on keeping this bike for a while, I'd be tempted to change the cockpit up and go threadless. That will give you more options as far as mixing and matching.