PDA

View Full Version : Snowbird Destinations

rpm
02-02-2016, 05:17 PM
The where to live threads have me thinking about the related question of where to go to escape winter. As a recent retiree, I'm seeing more of my friends becoming snowbirds and flying away from the Twin Cities in January and February. So, I'm wondering whether I should join them, and I'm looking for suggestions on where to go. My criteria are:

--Warm enough not to have big bouts of winter weather
--Handy to good cycling and hiking routes. Outdoor swimming would be a plus for my wife.
--Rental units for a couple of months available and not crazy expensive
--1-2 day driving distance from the D.C. area (home to one kid) or SF Bay area (home to the other kid) would be a bonus.

The most common destinations for Minnesotans are Naples/Ft Myers and Tucson or Scottsdale, but I'm thinking about places that might not be so common. I haven't been to either, but I'm kind of intrigued by some California spots away from the coast like Solvang or Paso Robles. In any event I'm open to suggestions for anywhere in the country.

Ralph
02-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Why not consider turning that around. Find a winter place in state where there is no state income tax....has the things you are seeking.....and establish a legal residence. Then visit back where you are now rest of year. Find a nice condo with garage and nice outdoor pool. Somewhere between Naples and St Pete. Keep a bike and stuff here.

unterhausen
02-02-2016, 05:36 PM
I have thought about North Carolina for this. Although it's pretty nice, year round. Depends on your tolerance of the political situation.

Ken Robb
02-02-2016, 06:02 PM
I can't think of a place that is really warm in Winter and close to your kids. Palm Springs/La Quinta, Palm Desert, et.al. are obvious--Borrego Springs less so.

saab2000
02-02-2016, 06:12 PM
I have thought about North Carolina for this. Although it's pretty nice, year round. Depends on your tolerance of the political situation.

The politics of North Carolina are very varied. Don't think everyone is alike. It's an interesting state, like most of them.

Anyway, North Carolina will not be as bitter cold as Minnesota, where I'm moving next week, but it can be cold and rainy and not very nice. And the mountains can be snowy.

If I were looking at the Carolinas for relief, I'd probably go to the Greenville/Spartanburg area of South Carolina, though there too it can be chilly. For real relief from the cold Florida is the answer, but the cycling will not be great.

I'd look at the GSP area or further south.

jlyon
02-02-2016, 06:14 PM
It has lots of nice rentals available for and has heated pools in the community. It gets quite a bit of Sunshine this time of year.

Nice beach area but water is too cold but you can kayak. Great hiking good road or mountain biking near the Levi's grand fondo course so very hilly if that want you want. Best of all beautiful 3 hours drive north of SFO.

fkelly
02-02-2016, 06:42 PM
I've spent 6 weeks each of the last 4 winters in Laguna Beach. The weather is perfect for riding, 60's and 70's in the day with sunshine at least 9 days out of 10. In 4 years I think it has rained about 4 times, usually briefly. Surfers surf with wet suits and some people swim with them.

John Wayne airport is 15 minutes away by side roads.

I do loop rides around 30 miles each in 3 directions. You can't avoid the traffic and I would say that's the major downside. You can minimize it and stay out of the worst of it, but even minimized I probably see more cars (and traffic lights) in an average 3 hour ride out here than I do all Summer in upstate NY. There are plenty of hills right outside Laguna Beach. Yesterday's short loop had 1900 feet of climb in 23 miles. A little further afield you can take on some real mountains as mentioned in the recent thread on Southern California riding.

It is expensive, but search carefully and well ahead of time on VRBO and the like and you can come up with something. We stay within walking distance of the village which minimizes the need to take the rental car out.

peanutgallery
02-02-2016, 06:56 PM
The pool!!!!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1925624!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_635/audi.jpg

Louis
02-02-2016, 07:01 PM
The pool!!!!

Should have opted for the Amphicar

http://www.amphicar.com/images/vintage_amphicar_in_water.jpg

rpm
02-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Good suggestions! Keep 'em coming! We like Palm Springs, but it's pretty expensive. Just had a friend do the Florida residence flip, but that's a step too far for us at this point. We don't have to have full-on warmth, just moderate temps. Sea Ranch is an interesting idea--never thought of that. Worth a visit to look around. Greenville would be another itneresting place to visit when I'm in the east.

Louis
02-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Back to the OP's question - as I think about this issue I usually conclude that it's a heck of a lot simpler to live in only one place instead of two. Of course finding one location that has very nice weather year-round can be expensive, but so is having a home and renting another N months a year.

rePhil
02-02-2016, 07:27 PM
I like to tell people that no one likes to ride their bike more than I do.Saying that, as I get older I realize that there is more to a quality life than cycling.
I don't know your financial situation, but with my income generating years behind me, an affordable, comfortable lifestyle is at the top of the list.
There are a lot of better areas to live for cycling than SW Florida, but when I look at the big picture it works for us.

Ken Robb
02-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Well if 3 hours north of SF can be considered then you could consider the Central Coast for sure. Cambria is nice and so are other towns like Morrow Bay, Half Moon Bay, Pismo Beach, etc.

Louis
02-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Well if 3 hours north of SF can be considered then you could consider the Central Coast for sure. Cambria is nice and so are other towns like Morrow Bay, Half Moon Bay, Pismo Beach, etc.

You mean S of SF or N of LA, right?

fuzzalow
02-03-2016, 07:01 AM

The politics of North Carolina are very varied. Don't think everyone is alike. It's an interesting state, like most of them.

Um, I hate to sound like I am totally out of it. But I am totally outta this. I don't have any idea what is being referred to here. Is this in some way related to police authorities and ethnicities? :confused:

If somebody could clue me in, I'd appreciate it. I don't mind sounding like this as embarrassing as it sounds because I'd never put it past myself that I can really know how other people live. Which makes it like living in my own bubble even without meaning to live in my own bubble. HaHa! That's why I value and enjoy these kind of OT threads about places to live.

Thanks in advance for any response on this.

bart998
02-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Lake Havasu City, Arizona. Great weather, roads, low taxes, 1 to 2 day drive to SF. Very nice little city with beautiful lake, desert and mountains....lots of recreational choices. Homes by the lake are pricey but further up the hill, not so much. If you're older (like me) great medical care. I live in LA but visit frequently... love it. And, if you like nightlife, 1 hour to Laughlin, NV and two hours to Vegas.

Ken Robb
02-03-2016, 10:06 AM
You mean S of SF or N of LA, right?

Right. Generally the farther north one goes in CA. the colder/wetter winters are because most storms start in The Gulf of Alaska and move south/east. Many of them stop around Santa Barbara so LA to San Diego is warmer/drier most of the time.

So when an area 3 hours north of SF( Sea Ranch?) was suggested as a Winter destination for a snowbird I thought The Central Coast ought to be mentioned as it's 6 hours +/- south of that with warmer/drier weather.

Les and I rented a house with close-up ocean view in Cambria for a week and had a good time. It is a scenic ride or drive over the hills east of Cambria to Paso Robles for an even bigger assortment of restaurants/wineries, shops. Rentals in Paso might be cheaper than Cambria and you could always stay there and travel to Cambria for a day but we REALLY liked the small town flavor of Cambria and the fabullous walks along the ocean bluffs and we live in walking distance of La Jolla Shores Beach.