PDA

View Full Version : She should receive a lifetime ban!

bobswire
02-02-2016, 09:54 AM
I'm sure Old Potato would agree.

Swedish rider chooses Shimano on Campy-sponsored team.
Oh,the humanity! ;)

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/02/news/swedish-rider-chooses-shimano-on-campy-sponsored-team_394482

stien
02-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Haha great title/thread.

What works works! I guess 10 years of high stress muscle memory...

rwsaunders
02-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Motors must not be available in the Campag drivetrains yet.

Dead Man
02-02-2016, 10:38 AM
She's a freedom fighter

EPIC! Stratton
02-02-2016, 12:35 PM
There's a reason it's Shim-a-NO!

Just say No!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2d/8a/03/2d8a035616e637ff86c383c31bfd04de.gif

bikingshearer
02-02-2016, 12:37 PM
She's a freedom fighter

But don't freedom fighters usually fight against the Colossus?

tuscanyswe
02-02-2016, 12:53 PM
But don't freedom fighters usually fight against the Colossus?

Well she as the bike are obviously working from within.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2016, 01:55 PM
I'm sure Old Potato would agree.

Swedish rider chooses Shimano on Campy-sponsored team.
Oh,the humanity! ;)

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/02/news/swedish-rider-chooses-shimano-on-campy-sponsored-team_394482

Heresy..I say...no won't say that. Surprised tho. Whether she's been on a shimano equipped bike since she was a little girl..like so what? Doesn't know how to use her thumbs? Sponsorship is sponsorship. I guess she will take a cut in pay and buy her own stuff to be able to use shimano..eh? If I was the team manager, it'd say, OK, but YOYO. You're On Your Own.

At least it ain't spam/slam/scam/sram

bikerboy337
02-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Curious about the mechanics explanation... says something along the lines of if we know she's the one who has flatted, we grab a wheel with shimano gears...

It shouldn't matter if the wheel has a shimano or campy cassette as long as its 11s...they're interchangeable... i can't belive they have a set in the car with shimano cassettes just for her use, maybe so though...

josephr
02-02-2016, 02:45 PM
It shouldn't matter if the wheel has a shimano or campy cassette as long as its 11s...they're interchangeable... i can't belive they have a set in the car with shimano cassettes just for her use, maybe so though...

those cassettes take up so much more space...

Dead Man
02-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Curious about the mechanics explanation... says something along the lines of if we know she's the one who has flatted, we grab a wheel with shimano gears...

Indeed. I think someone wasn't thinking

stien
02-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Well you also need to think about where the cassette is located on the axle. I've got several wheels where they don't line up at all. Sure the cassette matches but if I swap wheels it's way wrong.

Mark McM
02-02-2016, 03:18 PM

That's not quite how I read it. From the Velonews Article:

[QUOTE]Gilmore would not speak about the team's contractual agreement with Italian manufacturer Campagnolo or about how many strings she had to pull to allow the Swedish star to use the Japanese groupset. She did say that the risk of an in-race problem is small.

"She has plenty of spare bikes, Emma has a spare bike with Shimano ready, Gilmore added. "It will work, Campag wheels work with Shimano. It would work until we get to her with her bike."[/QUOTE]

As I read it, Gilmore is saying that Johansson has plenty of spare bikes, but if Johansson needs a wheel and one of her bike's isn't immediately available, than one of the team's other (Campagnolo) wheels will work until they can get her one of the spare bikes.

Red Tornado
02-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Heresy..I say...no won't say that. Surprised tho. Whether she's been on a shimano equipped bike since she was a little girl..like so what? Doesn't know how to use her thumbs? Sponsorship is sponsorship. I guess she will take a cut in pay and buy her own stuff to be able to use shimano..eh? If I was the team manager, it'd say, OK, but YOYO. You're On Your Own.

At least it ain't spam/slam/scam/sram

+1 to everything oldpotatoe said.
I don't recall anyone on the mens side ever doing this with a groupset. I can see glasses, shoes and helmets. Even a frame if the current sponsor/supplier doesn't have the geometry she needs, or say, doesn't make that kind of bike (TT bike for instance); but in that situation they will usually put the sponsors name on the brand-x frame. However, you can't slap a Campagnolo decal on a Shimano part.
Campy & Shimano shifters are different but the shifters within the two brands have morphed somewhat over the years as well. As a professional rider/racer, I would think she could become accustomed to Campy in a reasonable amount of time.
A little disappointed as I have always liked her as both a rider and a person and perceive this as somewhat of an ego trip. We all put our bibs on one leg at a time, and there are a handful of heavy hitters already on that team who seem to be able to use Campy just fine. Not everyone likes change, but really, this is one of your teams major sponsors. Kinda of a slap-in-the-face to Campy.
After all that, I still hope she does well in her final season. Besides this little issue, she seems like a fine lady and a very capable racer.

zap
02-02-2016, 03:49 PM
She must be boring.......