PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbuilding for this dummy

icepick_trotsky
02-02-2016, 09:17 AM
So, I want to try my hand at wheelbuilding. I have no tools or expertise. Where do I start? Books/guides you recommend? What do I need to get started -- truing stand, spoke tension meter, other?

eddief
02-02-2016, 09:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYl4NO5m16Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZ1jjB_AdQ

ergott
02-02-2016, 09:36 AM
All you need here.

http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

guido
02-02-2016, 09:40 AM
I really like Bill Mould's DVD
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H1UA9Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Hermes_Alex
02-02-2016, 10:01 AM
I'd like to add that for a first wheel build, it pays to pick components that will make the job easier. Lots of thick spokes and heavy, well made rims will make for a wheel that is more forgiving of rookie errors than their opposite.

Vinci
02-02-2016, 10:04 AM
I used Sheldon Brown's guide when lacing my first wheel. The drawings helped me get the crosses right.

ryker
02-02-2016, 10:07 AM
I usually send people to this ebook

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

which does a very good job (said as a person with hundreds of wheels under my belt).

David Tollefson
02-02-2016, 10:31 AM
I got my start with Jobst Brandt's The Bicycle Wheel and a cheap truing stand. I could just as easily have used the rear triangle of a frame (brake pads can work ok for truing). My first set of wheels was 36-spoke, 3x Ultegra 8-speed hubs to Mavic Open 4CD rims, DT double-butted spokes and brass nipples, back in 1992. I still have those wheels (though the rims are getting thin).

Don't try to get fancy with the build. Just do a "normal" 3x, 32 spoke build on some good quality hubs and rims. A truing stand makes things a lot easier, but it isn't absolutely necessary -- using a bike frame works okay. I've yet to use a tension meter on any of my few-dozen builds, and I've never had an issue with longevity or integrity. I've built them all to true-and-round, and can tell if a spoke is out of tension by the sound. And I'm about to embark on building my first set of thru-axle wheels. YMMV.

I get all zen when I'm lacing and tensioning up a build. It's a peaceful place. Good luck and have fun.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2016, 01:33 PM
So, I want to try my hand at wheelbuilding. I have no tools or expertise. Where do I start? Books/guides you recommend? What do I need to get started -- truing stand, spoke tension meter, other?

Find Gerd Schraener and Jobst Brandt books..read.

Spoke wrench, dish tool(altho you can turn wheel around in stand), truing stand, tension meter..patience, time, good light, good eyesight and hearing.

You'll find one of the toughest things to get down is lacing. Get a cheapo hub, rim, spokes..lace-build.

daker13
02-02-2016, 08:21 PM
What everyone else said, but: when I built up my first pair of wheels, I put an ad on CL and brought a 12 pack over to this guy (really, kid)'s house. He worked for a bike company outside of Boston and really knew his stuff, checked over my wheels and gave me lots of tips.

Some say go to your lbs for advice but I didn't feel right about it, since I'd bought the rims online.

Louis
02-02-2016, 08:23 PM
I used Sheldon Brown's guide when lacing my first wheel. The drawings helped me get the crosses right.

+1

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

PFSLABD
02-02-2016, 08:31 PM
That's an idea since our only bicycle shop closed its doors for good last December.

zmudshark
02-02-2016, 08:34 PM
I can't add anything, other than it's easier to build today than it was 40 years ago, because internet.

Edit: tools help, and I like tools.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2016, 06:07 AM
What everyone else said, but: when I built up my first pair of wheels, I put an ad on CL and brought a 12 pack over to this guy (really, kid)'s house. He worked for a bike company outside of Boston and really knew his stuff, checked over my wheels and gave me lots of tips.

Some say go to your lbs for advice but I didn't feel right about it, since I'd bought the rims online.

And ohhh so many 'bike shops' can barely true a wheel let alone actually build one. Ask to have them show you an 'inside pulling' wheel or one 'head in'..If they give you that 'thousand yard stare', go elsewhere.

AND I will add, for me, wheelbuilding is the thing I really enjoy. Kinda 'artesian' with a small 'a'. Design, purpose built, take hub/spokes/rim and 'build' a wheel..I love it. Weisan-san and others have found the joy, calmness, 'zen' of wheelbuilding..it's a great skill to have. AND after 35 years of doing it, still learn something every wheel, every wheel is different, even when it isn't.

smontanaro
02-05-2016, 08:05 AM
See if your local bike co-op (or LBS) offers bike maintenance, open shop, or even wheel building classes. My first (and still only) set of wheels was built during open shop at West Town Bikes here in Chicago. It does help to have someone looking over your shoulder, I think. You can also get all spendy and take a class from an expert like Earle Young. I've tired with the idea, but never intersected with Earle at a vintage get-together like one of the CR gatherings.

crashnburn
02-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Get the required basic tools and materials (if budget is not an issue then get what fancies you) and start building one.

As mentioned, pick parts that will make your first build a bit easy so that frustration doesn't set in. Get a cup of coffee (or beer), turn your music on and get your hands dirty. You'll learn a lot after the first few builds and will get the rhythm as you progress.

Warning though, it gets addicting...
I actually just finished one wheel this morning with a cup of coffee!
A great 'zen' start for a Friday. :hello:

makoti
02-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Lots of good sources, but I've only got one piece of advice. For your first build (at least), buy something you need, even just the spokes, from your LBS. Tell them what you are doing and ask if you can bring them in once you are done for a once-over. Have them double check your work. It can go very wrong if you mess up.
Like OP said, though - make sure it's a shop that knows what they are doing with wheels.
Have fun! I still use an old Bicycling mag article from 1986 for my reference.