PDA

View Full Version : 20/24 disc brake build?

bikerboy337
02-01-2016, 08:50 PM
I've been searching for some lightweight disc wheels for my gravel bike and ran across a major company (known for hubs, but now doing full wheelsets out of Taiwan), with a 20/24 disc hubset.

Isn't 20h too few spokes for a disc brake wheelset? Is that asking for wheel failure? Not sure I'd want to be doing 35 mph on a gravel downhill on that....

Wheels seem to get good reviews...

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zzy
02-01-2016, 08:53 PM
20 spokes is a bad idea, especially laced radially. 24 laced 2x would be a bare minimum, and may have excessive flex under heavy breaking.

bikerboy337
02-01-2016, 08:55 PM
Minor point of clarification, they are 2x all around.

ergott
02-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Why not just tell us what wheels you are talking about?

CMiller
02-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Gravel bike should go everywhere, nothing holding you back, especially the little voice wondering if your wheelset can handle it. I'd say go a little beefier, unless you ride it only as a road bike, then it might be fine.

bikerboy337
02-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Why not just tell us what wheels you are talking about?

Novatec cxd disc wheelset, 1465g

Not getting them, just was surprised to see a 20 spoke 2x front wheel...

ergott
02-01-2016, 09:16 PM
20 spokes 2X has excellent tangential spoking. It will transfer torque very well. That said, I wouldn't do it with that rim or with Laser spokes. Heavier gauge spokes to a carbon rim and I'd do it.

dton
02-01-2016, 11:05 PM
I have a Giant P SL0 disc wheelset which is 20/24 (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-in/gear/product/p.sl0.disc/1184/61373/)

They've been fine for road use, granted i'm quite light at 62 kgs, and its an alloy rim, but I'm not terribly easy on them either. They've stayed relatively true despite a few big hits. That being said, I wouldn't recommend 20/24 for anyone much heavier and for extended gravel use.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2016, 06:57 AM
I've been searching for some lightweight disc wheels for my gravel bike and ran across a major company (known for hubs, but now doing full wheelsets out of Taiwan), with a 20/24 disc hubset.

Isn't 20h too few spokes for a disc brake wheelset? Is that asking for wheel failure? Not sure I'd want to be doing 35 mph on a gravel downhill on that....

Wheels seem to get good reviews...

Thoughts?

Radial and too few spokes on a disc wheel is a bad idea, IMHO. 24/28, crossed spokes, beefy enough rim and spokes=reliability.

marciero
02-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Any number of spokes laced radially with disc would be bad idea!

josephr
02-02-2016, 08:57 AM
If you're taking suggestions, check out the Shimano RX-830 or the RX-31 if you're on a budget. I'm sure any of the wheelbuilders on here though could build you up something super nice for a lot cheaper than anything factory built though. SLX hubs to Pacnenti SL25s? All day bullet proof goodness. :beer:

Hermes_Alex
02-02-2016, 10:12 AM
For what it's worth, we just finished testing of our new disc wheelset which went for the 20/24 pattern, albeit with a somewhat beefier spoke than the CX-ray. It passed with flying colors, both in its ability to handle braking forces, and stay stiff.

Mark McM
02-02-2016, 10:41 AM
For what it's worth, we just finished testing of our new disc wheelset which went for the 20/24 pattern, albeit with a somewhat beefier spoke than the CX-ray. It passed with flying colors, both in its ability to handle braking forces, and stay stiff.

How did you test the ability to handle braking forces? If there were excessive spoke loading due to braking forces it would be manifested in fatigue breakages, which take many, many cycles to become obvious. Even radially laced wheels can handle the loads of disc brakes, if only experienced for a low number of cycles.

Gummee
10-31-2017, 12:57 PM
So I have these older Ritchey 38mm tubulars whose brake track I don't like. Since they started out road wheels, they're 20/24 hole rims

Found a pair of Bitex hubs that look promising for making them into disc wheels. BX201s if you're wondering. Best news? They're convertible between TA and QR. Woot!

I have to re-measure the ERD of the rim before I can order up some spokes and lace em up.

Wish me luck!

M