PDA

View Full Version : Crap: Bib blow out.

Lewis Moon
02-01-2016, 08:21 PM
I need a new set of bibs in the rotation. A nice set of Gore bibs just split right down the middle of the chamois. Probably less than 500 miles. Buyer beware.
What are a good set of budget(ish) bibs with relatively thick, compressive material. I'm not a fan of super lightweight fabric.

Edit to add: No Rapha unless you're looking to give me a set. I take large.

Cicli
02-01-2016, 08:23 PM
If you would have been wearing underwear with them...........

I like Pactimo bibs. They fit me well.

jischr
02-01-2016, 08:23 PM
You may want to ponder a different title. It evoked a different image when I first read it.:D

AngryScientist
02-01-2016, 08:28 PM
there are a bunch of good mid level, even lower tier bibs that i think are great.

craft are excellent IMO

hincapie are one of my favs, and they can be found on sale often

castilli are pretty good too, also often on deep discount

donevwil
02-01-2016, 08:32 PM
My favorite < $150 (retail) bibs are the Voler Black Label ($139). Granted I've always bought mine with an email discount or end of year clearance and never paid > $100. Very nice fabric, chamois and fit. The only gripe I have is that Voler changes their design/material/construction/chamois almost yearly, so what one liked in 2014 may be totally different in 2016.

They are, however, my second favorite and frequently used bibs (to Assos).

jwess1234
02-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Pearl Pro and Elite for years...

jmoore
02-01-2016, 08:43 PM
DiMarchi from Competitive Cyclist.

Also my Sugoi bibs are awesome. Prob my favorite right now.

kramnnim
02-01-2016, 08:43 PM
You may want to ponder a different title. It evoked a different image when I first read it.:D

Same. Though...he didn't explain what caused the blowout... :eek:

regularguy412
02-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Interesting to hear. I have 1 pair of Gore 2.0 Power bibs and 2 pairs of 3.0 Power bibs. One year's use on all three. Absolutely no issues.

As far as economy bibs, I have had good luck with Giordana Silverline (when found on sale). For me personally, I find Castelli and Hincapie cut too small. I've had to go up a minimum of one full size in Hincapie and 2 full sizes in Castelli to get even a close fit. I normally take Medium in most bibs and shorts.

Also have a couple pairs of Mavic bibs, but I do think the fabric tends to stretch a bit over time,, and mine never are washed with fabric softener or in hot water and are always drip dried.

Craft shorts can sometimes be had for a good price, but found they are a bit tight through the hips for me in Medium, even though the waist and inseam are right on.

Mike in AR:beer:

Lewis Moon
02-01-2016, 08:53 PM
If you would have been wearing underwear with them...........

I like Pactimo bibs. They fit me well.

I love the Pactimos, but I missed all the sales. (Angry face)

steelbikerider
02-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Performance Ultra bib shorts (not SL's) are a bargain at around $60 - 70$
My first pair is just starting to show some fading after 2 years but that is once/week in the Texas sun for 7-8 months, machine washing weekly and hang to dry.
Good compression too. I wear a large(34 waist) and they have a slighty longer leg length if that is what you like.

Dirtdiggler
02-01-2016, 09:02 PM
+1 on performance bibs and their return / exchange policy.

kgreene10
02-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Shameless plug: I've got three brand new with tags Bontrager RXL
Medium bibs advertised in the classifieds for 40% off retail.

Marcy
02-01-2016, 09:41 PM
I like being able to buy tall size bibs at Aero Tech Designs -- and they're Made in the USA! (PA, to be specific)
Very good prices, and the occasional sale even. Give 'em a try -- not a big name, but a very good product sewn by Americans.

parallelfish
02-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Assos equipe S7 bibs are down to $149 at Ribble. An extra cent gets you a jar of Assos chamois cream.

djg21
02-01-2016, 09:44 PM
My favorite < $150 (retail) bibs are the Voler Black Label ($139). Granted I've always bought mine with an email discount or end of year clearance and never paid > $100. Very nice fabric, chamois and fit. The only gripe I have is that Voler changes their design/material/construction/chamois almost yearly, so what one liked in 2014 may be totally different in 2016.

I like voter bibs too. They seem to last pretty well.

metalheart
02-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Rapha Classics are my goto bibs, but Voler have a nice pad, it is just the shoulder straps are not as nice as Rapha and the fabric is less refined. I also like the Assos bibs from the outlet. You ca get these from the outlet (now with free chamois cream) for less than 150 http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/shorts/t-fi-mille-s5-regularleg-black/ . I have these and they are in my regular rotation behind the Rapha. However, the Volers are very nice.....

makoti
02-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Pearl Pro and Elite for years...

I'm going to second this. I've had very good luck with the Elite bibs. And hunt amazon, you can often find them for $50, if you're not choosy about trim color.

livingminimal
02-02-2016, 06:57 AM

I'll second this

PFSLABD
02-02-2016, 07:00 AM
I need a new set of bibs in the rotation. A nice set of Gore bibs just split right down the middle of the chamois. Probably less than 500 miles. Buyer beware.
What are a good set of budget(ish) bibs with relatively thick, compressive material. I'm not a fan of super lightweight fabric.

Edit to add: No Rapha unless you're looking to give me a set. I take large.

I hope you were wearing your underwear under them so nothing hung out.:p

Lewis Moon
02-02-2016, 07:09 AM
I hope you were wearing your underwear under them so nothing hung out.:p

Nah, only the chamois split right down the middle. It was one like this (http://i2.wp.com/aushiker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/IMG_19961.jpg?resize=412%2C550) where layers of foam were glued to a flimsy piece of foam backed fabric (not unlike really bad automobile seat covers) with a channel running right down the center.

CNY rider
02-02-2016, 07:31 AM
DiMarchi from Competitive Cyclist.

Also my Sugoi bibs are awesome. Prob my favorite right now.

Agree, Sugoi bibs are good stuff at a fair price.
Just stick with the high end models ( I forget the designation) because quality drops off quickly after the top 2 models.

sandyrs
02-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Cutaway.us

Cutaway "Italian Compression" bib shorts are my favorites under $150. They have a nice, thick, compressive band at the bottom of the leg, the pad is nice, and the material has been durable under my ass. Plus they're the only color bib shorts should ever be, while still managing to look kind of interesting (because of the leg band).

CNY rider
02-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Shameless plug: I've got three brand new with tags Bontrager RXL
Medium bibs advertised in the classifieds for 40% off retail.

I saw those and thought the pad looked a lot like Sugoi's.

Do you know if they're the same? Looks like a great deal for the OP if they are.

Lewis Moon
02-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Agree, Sugoi bibs are good stuff at a fair price.
Just stick with the high end models ( I forget the designation) because quality drops off quickly after the top 2 models.

I have of their "evolution" bibs. The stitching is really suspect. It's like they use cheap thread.

Lewis Moon
02-02-2016, 07:39 AM

Do you know if they're the same? Looks like a great deal for the OP if they are.

At 6'5" and 185 lbs, I'm a large. I also have a big a$$. There, I said it.

93legendti
02-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Yup. I like the Elite's - price, warranty and return policy can't be beat

Lewis Moon
02-02-2016, 08:18 AM

I may try those. I'll have to admit, one of the main reasons I was hesitant, was the prospect of wearing a Performance logo. Might as well tatoo "Fred" on my forehead. Pretty crafty of them to omit the logo.

Seramount
02-02-2016, 08:38 AM
I like being able to buy tall size bibs at Aero Tech Designs -- and they're Made in the USA! (PA, to be specific)
Very good prices, and the occasional sale even.

+1 on ATD.

I have their Pro shorts, fleece bibs, and a pair of knickers.

very pleased with all three items.

at $39, the shorts are a monster bargain. better than any other brand I've tried...exceptionally high-quality.

EPIC! Stratton
02-02-2016, 09:08 AM
I think all I own are Endo, Castelli, and Giordana. Overall a fan of all of them. That said, I have 1 set of Endo's I don't like the chamois in, but I never remember which one it is. Oh well. Here's hoping it's not the one I wear on a double century. :eek:

leftsidedrive
02-02-2016, 11:16 AM
I've owned a lot of Gore outerwear over the years, and I've been super pleased with their customer service and warranty process on things like jackets/pants. Stop by a reliable retailer or call them up. They might be able to help you with your "crapped out bibs"

kgreene10
02-02-2016, 11:22 AM

Do you know if they're the same?

No idea. They are Bontrager bibs and have excellent reviews all around. I personally haven't seen Sugoi bibs that are as high quality.

rugbysecondrow
02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
I like the Desoto 400 mile bibs

http://www.amazon.com/DeSoto-Mens-400-Mile-Bib-Short/dp/B00GS4RWIK

72gmc
02-02-2016, 12:27 PM
I'm partial to Voler Avanti (http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110538) bibs, haven't tried their special-er varieties.

Past experience with Pearl/Performance has been ok but the Voler Apex chamois is so much better for my body.

From my experience with their jerseys I'm guessing Giordana bibs would be pretty sweet if your budget allows.

Lewis Moon
02-02-2016, 01:10 PM
I just ordered a pair of the Performance "Ultra" bibs that are on sale $59. Pretty darn good reviews on these so I hope they'll do rotating in once a week.

OtayBW
02-02-2016, 06:34 PM
I've owned a lot of Gore outerwear over the years, and I've been super pleased with their customer service and warranty process on things like jackets/pants. Stop by a reliable retailer or call them up. They might be able to help you with your "crapped out bibs"
Me too. I've worn Gore Xenon bibs for a long time with great results. I'll bet you'd have a receptive ear if you contacted Gore with the issue.

PFSLABD
02-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Nah, only the chamois split right down the middle. It was one like this (http://i2.wp.com/aushiker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/IMG_19961.jpg?resize=412%2C550) where layers of foam were glued to a flimsy piece of foam backed fabric (not unlike really bad automobile seat covers) with a channel running right down the center.

There used to be a place that sold real cheap shorts at $25 a pair. They were re-conditioned shorts that people would turn in. I think they must have replaced the chamois and repaired the holes. I bought a couple pairs, but they didn't last any time. You learn by your mistakes.