PDA

View Full Version : intrigued by argonaut carbon, any owners care to share pics/thoughts?

wallymann
02-01-2016, 06:54 PM
searched the custom gallery, all i see are steel MAX argos before farver moved over to bespoke CF construction.

Michael Maddox
02-01-2016, 07:36 PM
I have one of the first, besides the MAX. Mine is crazy-light, with ENVE wheels and Di2. Ben's a good builder, and it's a bike I won't part with...period. What can I tell you about it?

It's dark, so this is right now at the front door. She is 15.8 pounds, and sized for my big butt. (6'3", 225#)

It's a LOT more bike than I'll ever need.

wallymann
02-01-2016, 07:40 PM
What can I tell you about it?

tell me about the design process, where you ended up in terms of ride preferences and build-parameters that drove ben to that solution, what were the questions he asked and perspectives he brought to the discussion that helped you along.

and pictures, lots of pictures! ;-)

Michael Maddox
02-01-2016, 08:01 PM
tell me about the design process, where you ended up in terms of ride preferences and build-parameters that drove ben to that solution, what were the questions he asked and perspectives he brought to the discussion that helped you along.

and pictures, lots of pictures! ;-)

Added a photo....but I'm going to have to get off my iPad to answer properly. I'm out here wrenching. Give me a bit and I'll answer.

FlashUNC
02-01-2016, 09:10 PM
The ones I see at Above Category in person sure are purty.

And I met Ben at NAHBS in Charlotte a couple years back. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

Michael Maddox
02-02-2016, 12:38 PM
My experience is probably a little different from a first-time bespoke buyer.

I see you like classic bikes, like I do, so I assume you have a pretty good idea of what geometry you like to ride. I did. I was also lucky enough to stumble on a secondhand Moots that REALLY got close to what I ended up preferring.

My carbon Argonaut was my third bespoke bike, so I had a pretty good idea of what my geometry looked like. To this end, created a document that describes my cycling past, my current issues, and pretty much every bike that I ride. It also includes the results of several fittings I've had over the past 25 years, plus the harsh realities of my current physical shape, goals, and measurements.

So, based on this document, Ben developed a geometry that looked a lot like the Argonaut MAX I had purchased from him, earlier. Basically, it's a variation on the shape I've been riding for the past 25 years, with a bit more head tube to create a more upright position than the slammed stems I raced in the past. I wanted a modern bike that would be comfortable all-day in most any condition. And that's exactly what I got.

I don't recall much discussion about the geometry, since we both knew what I liked. I really TRY not to get in the way of designer decisions about some things...I figure trying something a little different is why I'm into this in the first place. I trusted Ben to interpret my geometry in his medium, and it's really become the go-to geometry I rely on.

My Sachs is quite different from this geometry, incidentally. But Richie gave me good information about his method of interpreting the data, and I gave it a shot. It's a little early to tell how this will work out, but I think most of us are pretty adaptable within a range of shapes and setups. It's not bothering me at the moment.

I know this doesn't help much. I am not fixated on the notion that I only fit ONE shape. I have always relied on the builder to create a geometry based on knowledge I can provide them.

wallymann
02-02-2016, 01:15 PM
thx for the info. the custom process would be an interesting exercise. yes, i do have a good idea of the position and geometry i like -- i'm actually pretty presnickety about this, so it would take some mental adjustment to get comfortable giving it over entirely to someone else! i guess i already do that when i buy off-the-peg, but when you're paying for custom i feel like i need to be really involved! in terms of stiffness, i'm not a brute so dont need anything crazy stiff. maybe someday...

William
02-02-2016, 02:31 PM
In case you missed it...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=120171

William

wallymann
02-02-2016, 06:53 PM
In case you missed it...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=120171
William

oh, that was a good read...thx for re-posting!