PDA

View Full Version : Something that drives me crazy

jckid
06-05-2006, 11:14 AM
My town is a pretty bike friendly place. We have a long bike path that runs through town, and most of the main roads have designated bike lanes. What drives me crazy is that I constantly see people riding on the sidewalks. Of course it's not serious cyclists, but rather casual bike riders. You know, the types that ride the cheap Walmart-type bikes that weigh 40 lbs--Roadmaster, Motiv, Huffy, Schwinn, etc.

I see people riding on the sidewalks almost every time I ride. If it's just a young kid, it doesn't bother me quite as much, but just yesterday I saw a whole family of five--mom, dad, and three kids riding along the sidewalk in the wrong direction. The road had a 3' wide bike lane on both sides, yet they chose the sidewalk. Why do parents teach their kids to do the wrong thing? Whey doesn't the police department ticket them?

Is this just happening in my town, or do you guys encounter the same thing? Am I the only one that gets ticked off about sidewalk riders?

kgrooney
06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
My town is a pretty bike friendly place. We have a long bike path that runs through town, and most of the main roads have designated bike lanes. What drives me crazy is that I constantly see people riding on the sidewalks. Of course it's not serious cyclists, but rather casual bike riders. You know, the types that ride the cheap Walmart-type bikes that weigh 40 lbs--Roadmaster, Motiv, Huffy, Schwinn, etc.

I see people riding on the sidewalks almost every time I ride. If it's just a young kid, it doesn't bother me quite as much, but just yesterday I saw a whole family of five--mom, dad, and three kids riding along the sidewalk in the wrong direction. The road had a 3' wide bike lane on both sides, yet they chose the sidewalk. Why do parents teach their kids to do the wrong thing? Whey doesn't the police department ticket them?

Is this just happening in my town, or do you guys encounter the same thing? Am I the only one that gets ticked off about sidewalk riders?

Because for some, it's not a concern for them.

Ginger
06-05-2006, 11:23 AM
No. Although if they have kids younger than 12 (arbitrary age...old enough to understand bike lane vs. car lane and not be spastic when other cyclists pass...although 12 is still a touch young.) I understand why they stay on the sidewalk.

What bothers me more are the bike lane walkers...especially when there's a perfectly good sidewalk right next to the bike lane.

a100mark
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Sidewalk riders do not bother me as much as the jerks in the cars. I pick my battles. Over the past two weeks, while out group riding, I have gotten yelled about the disrespect cyclists show on the roads. Comments such as:
"you take up the whole road"
"why don't you try stopping at the stop signs"
"piss ants"
"ride in your own neighborhood"
"you people are really starting to piss us off"

Of course, I merely assume that they are angry because:
Their NASCAR driver did not win
They've run out of Budweiser

victoryfactory
06-05-2006, 11:27 AM
In New York, Cyclists under 14 are allowed to ride on sidewalks.
What do you do if you want to ride with your kids?

What do you do in places where road riding is too dangerouse for kids?

VF

Kevan
06-05-2006, 11:28 AM
are the families without helmets.

While I agree with you, that bicycles belong on the roads, trails, or lanes and not sidewalks... I'm not so sure I would find fault with a young family using it. Assuming it was clear of other foot-bound users.

If everyone in the family is on the their own bike, it makes it that more difficult to manage and ensure your young children are ridng safely. If instead I had my family on the bike lane of a road, I'd position myself at the back of the pack and place myself out into the road, outside the bike lane paint strip, forcing motor traffic to stay clear of my kids, which is not necessarily the best solution either.

Best solution is a family going to a local bike path and maybe that's where your example was heading.

Ginger
06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
I try to balance it. At least they're out on bikes!

bironi
06-05-2006, 12:54 PM
A great place to cycle safely with the entire family. Miles of bike paths that wind through a beautiful city, with drivers who respect and yield to pedestrians and cyclists. I wish more American cities would follow suit.

Byron

Jason E
06-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I've been in NC just over a year and have not had one bad experience. I have had a ton of great experiences with friendly and courteous drivers even in some pretty remote "backwards" places.

We should all be thankful for all of those times and do our best to encourage others to enjoy riding as much as possible. The more the family on the sidewalk rides, the sooner they may get the whole "Bike Lane" thing, though, in that instance, I am with Ginger. I'd keep my daughter well protected, too.

There is, if done correctly, nothing wrong with discussing these things with passing riders.

Lincoln
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Worse...are the families without helmets.

<snip>

Agreed. Or where the kids are wearing them but mom and/or dad are sending a great message by not wearing one themselves.

Avispa
06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I see people riding on the sidewalks almost every time I ride. If it's just a young kid, it doesn't bother me quite as much, but just yesterday I saw a whole family of five--mom, dad, and three kids riding along the sidewalk in the wrong direction.

Actually there are not many roads with bike lanes here in Miami-Dade County, But I have seen signs that say: Bicycles, Scooters... blah, blah are not allowed on the sidewalk.

Once, I saw an old lady riding on the sidewalk and near her I saw a Police Car. I went to the officer and asked if he was going to do something about it. He said, "No, she is not going that fast!", and contined, "Besides, we do not want to encourage people to ride on the roads and slow down the traffic..."

So go figure! I think in many parts of the country they think the roads are exclusivelly for cars!

I wonder when he said "we", what did he meant? The local PD or most people in town... I guess this is South Florida, it must be everyone but us cyclists!

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2006, 05:56 PM
To see families out riding, with the kids in helmets, but the parents not, is beyond pitiful in my book. Almost as bad are the kids I see out whose parents have bought them helmets, but the kids have them on unstrapped or, worse yet, on backwards!

BBD

72gmc
06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
the kids have them on unstrapped or, worse yet, on backwards!

BBD

Saw a grown man a few weeks ago riding with a set jaw and a grim expression, sprinting as hard as he could when the light turned green.

His helmet was on backwards. Priceless.

Re riding on sidewalks: I did it recently, for a block, to go around gridlock. I felt like a hypocrite because seeing adults riding on sidewalks irks me.

Lincoln
06-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Saw a grown man a few weeks ago riding with a set jaw and a grim expression, sprinting as hard as he could when the light turned green.

His helmet was on backwards. Priceless.

Re riding on sidewalks: I did it recently, for a block, to go around gridlock. I felt like a hypocrite because seeing adults riding on sidewalks irks me.
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/images/photo157p.jpg

Fixed
06-05-2006, 08:42 PM
bro i ride sidewalks everyday at sometime during the day ..that's why I'm still here after 16 years on the job .
cheers

obtuse
06-05-2006, 09:05 PM
To see families out riding, with the kids in helmets, but the parents not, is beyond pitiful in my book. Almost as bad are the kids I see out whose parents have bought them helmets, but the kids have them on unstrapped or, worse yet, on backwards!

BBD

yeah, because we should really encourage people to think of cycling as a dangerous extreme activity that requires the use of body armor.

obtuse

Lincoln
06-06-2006, 12:54 AM
yeah, because we should really encourage people to think of cycling as a dangerous extreme activity that requires the use of body armor.

obtuse

????????????????