PDA

View Full Version : Another question for the wide tire experts (Serotta Andrew? DBRK?)

Bradford
06-05-2006, 10:21 AM
The front rim on my touring bike is a Mavic MA2 and the rear rim is a Mavic 519. In a former life, the touring Guru now known as Serotta Andrew told me that if I put anything smaller than a 700x28 on those rims the tires would blow off and I would die a painful death. I’m in the market for new tires again and looking for some advice on what will give me a good unloaded ride but and stay on the rims.

When I tour, I use 700x37 Conti Top Tours. These days, the bike is much more likely to be used for errands around town and is slated to tow the baby trailer next spring when Bradford Jr. is born and is old enough to hold up his head.

I currently have some 700x28 Top Tours on the bike. I’ve always liked the Contis, but since I’m not doing any touring now, I’d like to have a higher pressure tire. I used to have some Vreds that Andrew sold me on the bike and liked them, but I no longer live near that store so I need to find something else.

Here are my preferred characteristics:

A) The tire stays on the rim and I do not die
B) I can put over 100 pounds of pressure in the tire (although I won’t go over 110)
C) Lower rolling resistance than the Top Tours
D) Decent feel

I was going to throw on some 700x28 Conti Gator Skins, but the steady stream of positive Rol-ly Pol-y comments has me thinking that might be the answer. But they are 700x27s, not 28s, so I’m a bit concerned. I’m not as concerned about the width of the tire, because I know they are wide enough, I’m more concerned with how the tire will hold the rim.

So here are my questions:

A) Are Rolly Pollys big enough for these rims and are they the right tire?
B) Are 700x28 Gator skins big enough for the rims?
C) Any suggestions of a good, wide, smooth, and fast wide tire over 700x28?

Jason E
06-05-2006, 10:24 AM
I just put a set of Specized Armadillo 700x28's on a guy's Calfee a few days ago. It was a 60cm painted white and it looked nice, fit inside his Road geometry with no problem (though that is not an issue for you) and I think they'd make a great winter tire on anybike for those that like the 23's during their "season".

If I had clinchers, I'd have a set of these.

Ray
06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I have experience with MA-2s but none that I'm aware of with the 519. Certainly any of the tires you're talking about will be fine with the MA-2s. I've run narrower tires without incident as well.

Roly Polys are 'only' 27mm, but they're a true 27 and wider in reality than most 28s you'll find, including any Contis that I'm aware of. They'll meet all four of your criteria, although I doubt you'd need to run them with 100 psi or more.

In terms of fatter tires, Avocets are good, Paselas are good, but not quite as round in cross-section. Probably several others I'm not aware of.

It may be a start, anyway,

-Ray

Serotta_Andrew
06-05-2006, 11:36 AM
The front rim on my touring bike is a Mavic MA2 and the rear rim is a Mavic 519. In a former life, the touring Guru now known as Serotta Andrew told me that if I put anything smaller than a 700x28 on those rims the tires would blow off and I would die a painful death. I’m in the market for new tires again and looking for some advice on what will give me a good unloaded ride but and stay on the rims.

When I tour, I use 700x37 Conti Top Tours. These days, the bike is much more likely to be used for errands around town and is slated to tow the baby trailer next spring when Bradford Jr. is born and is old enough to hold up his head.

I currently have some 700x28 Top Tours on the bike. I’ve always liked the Contis, but since I’m not doing any touring now, I’d like to have a higher pressure tire. I used to have some Vreds that Andrew sold me on the bike and liked them, but I no longer live near that store so I need to find something else.

Here are my preferred characteristics:

A) The tire stays on the rim and I do not die
B) I can put over 100 pounds of pressure in the tire (although I won’t go over 110)
C) Lower rolling resistance than the Top Tours
D) Decent feel

I was going to throw on some 700x28 Conti Gator Skins, but the steady stream of positive Rol-ly Pol-y comments has me thinking that might be the answer. But they are 700x27s, not 28s, so I’m a bit concerned. I’m not as concerned about the width of the tire, because I know they are wide enough, I’m more concerned with how the tire will hold the rim.

So here are my questions:

Bradford,

The recommended tyre size from Mavic is a 700x28 as a min. If you put a 23 tyre on the rim the convex (word for the week!!!!!) flattens and may cause the bead to pop out. Plus it changes the riding characteristics of the tyre as the sidewall will not flex properly.

Bradford
06-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Bradford,

The recommended tyre size from Mavic is a 700x28 as a min. If you put a 23 tyre on the rim the convex (word for the week!!!!!) flattens and may cause the bead to pop out. Plus it changes the riding characteristics of the tyre as the sidewall will not flex properly.

So that means you are saying no to the Roll-y pol-y and yes to the Gatorskins?

Ken Robb
06-05-2006, 02:05 PM
my Ruffy-Tuffys are wider than my 700x"28" UltraGatorskins

72gmc
06-05-2006, 02:11 PM
I'd think Roly Polly/Ruffy Tuffy would be wider than 700x28 Gatorskins. I ride 700x28 Paselas that are much more substantial than a pair of 700x28 Contis hanging in the garage.

Vancouverdave
06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Paselas if you like more tread, in 28 or 32c, and roly poly/ruffy tuffy's if you don't. Roly poly's are mine and my wife's favorite tandem tires when riding unloaded.

dbrk
06-05-2006, 04:27 PM
The front rim on my touring bike is a Mavic MA2 and the rear rim is a Mavic 519.

Mavic's tire size specifications with respect to rims are...I dunno, take them with a grain of salt and apply some experience. Of course that is "dangerous" inasmuch as it does not follow the company line. Everyone is responsible for himself, I suppose. I'm not about to sue Mavic for the tires I choose to mount. I've been around MA2 and 519 rims for many, many years and I've run everything from 23s to 42s on these rims without the slightest problem, ever. Each to his own risk, I suppose and these are just my observations and experience.

RP/RTs are my favorite tires and will work fine on both of these rims. Of course, a Gator skin 28 is not really a 28...at least none of the dozens I have ever mounted. As for a really wide, nice tire, I really like the Avocet FasGrip Duro Plus either in 28 or 32 and much, much prefer them to Paselas. Paselas have changed, they have less of a central ridge and are now rounder but the FasGrips are just swell and slick, and no one really needs treads except for looks on a road bike. Hence, my dislike of the Conti Top Touring: too loud, too much going on, why that dumb tread? No need for that, I say. Of course, ymmv so like what you like!

dbrk

Vancouverdave
06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Maybe Mavic's caution regarding tire width on the 519/719 shape is that some (not all) tires, when mounted on a rim that doesn't allow the sides to have some amount of shock-absorbing curve to them, will much more easily sustain casing damage going over rough surfaces and even to blow off a rim under pressure. It's why there's really no rim that lets a 700 x 18 or 700 x 19 tire have a good profile.