PDA

View Full Version : Anyone convert a CX bike to flatbar for all-around-town use? Tips?

FastforaSlowGuy
01-31-2016, 02:37 PM
My wife has a CX bike that is gathering dust with a little one in the house. Thinking of converting it to a 1x flatbar for easy trail and rail-trail riding with said little one (I'll probably do most of the towing). Running shimano 10s now. Will a MTB shifter work with the existing RD? I'm assuming most brake levers will have sufficient pull for the canti brakes? What about fit? Do I need to make adjustments to the reach or bar height since her had placement is wider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMiller
01-31-2016, 03:37 PM
I've done it many times, I could never get the fit quite right. You'll need a much longer stem, add about 3 or 4cm to current length. I have a 120mm Thomson stem I used for this purpose (let me know if you're interested in buying it, no use for it right now).

You'll need short pull levers which are different than v brake levers. Tektros are cheap and work great, and she'll probably enjoy much nicer braking compared to drops.

Current 10 speed mountain shimano shifters won't work, the cable pull isn't compatible. You could get 9 speed mountain shifters and I'm pretty sure those will work with the road derailleur, just drop in a 9 speed cassette.

CMiller
01-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Let me clarify I personally couldn't get the fit right, but a ton of people love this set up. It could breath new life into a frame not getting enough love!

Pelican
01-31-2016, 06:07 PM
I've done this conversion more than a few times. Modern MTB bars are really wide, so I either use older stuff or cut them down. Stems I go with longer or higher depending on how you like your position. Avid makes nice cheap brake levers, intended for discs/v-brakes but I think they work fine with road calipers or cantis if you like a firm lever with quick engagement.

My latest conversion is pictured at the top here: http://qarmic.com/

henrypretz
01-31-2016, 06:37 PM
I've no input on the fit end of it, but component wise I think your options are somewhat limited. That said, I converted our tandem from drop bar STI to a set of these (http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/controls/shifters/shimano/flat-handlebar-sl-r770/prd_368745_2511crx.aspx) and could not be happier with their performance. They are billed as Ultegra level, and I totally agree on that. Even with the long cable run on the tandem, they shift like butter with 5700 derailleurs (front triple)

Cheers
Henry

thermalattorney
02-03-2016, 10:15 AM
I've done this conversion more than a few times. Modern MTB bars are really wide, so I either use older stuff or cut them down. Stems I go with longer or higher depending on how you like your position. Avid makes nice cheap brake levers, intended for discs/v-brakes but I think they work fine with road calipers or cantis if you like a firm lever with quick engagement.

My latest conversion is pictured at the top here: http://qarmic.com/

+1 great advice. The Speed Dial levers are my go-to flat bar levers because they can get adjusted for practically anything.

Definitely go with narrower bars (~24in). I think it's a great idea to breath life into an under-used bike. Been riding converted CX bikes for years now as my "truck" with fenders and a porteur rack.

Ken Robb
02-03-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure what you want to accomplish by going to flat bars. If it's higher bars for a more relaxed position could you try changing stems with the bars you have?

kevinvc
02-03-2016, 01:04 PM
I have flat bars and 1x9 gearing on my cross bike and really like it. It's comfortable for commuting and easy to swap tires and hit the dirt. I've even done some cx racing with this set up. I like being more upright and find it easier to shift with cold, wet, muddy hands than my old traditional set up.

benb
02-03-2016, 01:08 PM
You can get Tiagra flat bar shifters pretty cheap for 10-speed. (4600) They work really well, better than brifters often.

If you're doing this you might as well use MTB V-brakes and MTB levers while you're at it and you'll have a much better performing setup that is trouble free. If the bike can take Cantis it can generally take MTB V-brakes.

I had trouble getting the fit right on my bike last year when I tried it. You need to not be afraid to try wild stuff with the stem, etc.. like others said.