PDA

View Full Version : Peculiar knee pain

veggieburger
01-30-2016, 08:28 PM
We had a lovely warmish day here in the north, so I went for a bike ride with my buds. No change in saddle height, just the first ride in a month or two. Tonight I have the strangest pain...in my knee. It's my right knee cap, on the right corner. It's like the bone is a little sore. Very very strange. Anyone else felt anything like this?

Black Dog
01-30-2016, 08:58 PM
Yes. I get a similar pain early in the season when I do a long or harder ride. A couple Advil and a day or so of rest keeps tendinitis away. Us northerners have to make sure we don't overdo it early in the season.

cnighbor1
01-30-2016, 10:24 PM
I rode with knee pain for years slight pain but noticeable than after learning more about stretching from my PT I learned how to get rid of it after riding
Than I learned has soon has my knees hurt my calves are tight So I coast and lower one heel at a time to stretch them out No more pain
Suggest get a massage from a good sport PT and tell you were you are tight and how to fix it

Jcgill
01-30-2016, 10:26 PM
Outer knee pain is usually associated with the IT band being tight.
I have had great success with a foam roller to alleviate the tightness...mine usually gives me trouble when doing high mileage runs for marathons.
YouTube has thousands of it band rolling videos.

CampyorBust
01-30-2016, 11:01 PM
Sounds like anterior knee pain, I had the same issue a few years ago. It also happened after a strong ride in the middle of the winter, really gave it the beans on an out of the saddle steep climb. My knee cap started to hurt almost right after. I was off the bike for some time, thought it would go away by itself, it did not so then I went to the doc. Here is what he had me do and I was back on the bike fairly soon after. Hold up your leg while sitting down for several intervals of about 20- 30 seconds. Do this a few times a day while on the computer or watching tv. Gradually increase the amount of time you hold up your leg, also add some small weights to your ankle after a few days or a week. This cured me right up and I experienced relief fairly soon after starting. Good luck.

Louis
01-30-2016, 11:07 PM
If you really haven't been riding much or at all lately then out of nowhere did a hard ride I would guess that you did too much too quickly. That's gotten me into trouble a few times in early spring.

veggieburger
01-31-2016, 07:57 AM
If you really haven't been riding much or at all lately then out of nowhere did a hard ride I would guess that you did too much too quickly. That's gotten me into trouble a few times in early spring.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for all the feedback!