PDA

View Full Version : UCI detains suspicious bike at cyclocross worlds.

djg21
01-30-2016, 12:46 PM
ZOLDER, Belgium (VN) In what appears to be a first in cycling, the International Cycling Union confirmed today that it had impounded the bike of Belgian rider Femke van den Driessche following the womenç—´ under-23 championship race Saturday. Van den Driessche was a pre-race favorite, thanks to solid results in the World Cup and a stunning second-place finish at the Koppenbergcross, one of the most difficult races on the calendar, in November.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/uci_detains_bike_cyclocross_worlds_394233_394233

"Technological fraud"? I'd think it would be tough to use a motor during a muddy cyclocross race in crappy weather. I'm looking forward to hearing precisely what the nature of the fraud is.

Dead Man
01-30-2016, 01:00 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/03/a8/09/03a809d6d8ab52bc3dd92ebccd029b29.jpg

Innocence lost

Burnette
01-30-2016, 02:03 PM
I haven't a clue as to what the infraction was, but we can make a game of it until the results are made public.

'Technological Fraud"? Not sure what you could do to get an advantage by tinkinering with a bike in a muddy, windy race other than to have it come under the weight minimum. Well, that's sounds crazy too, with all the mud that's going to get caked onto the bike, it seems that would nullify any advantage. Not worth the risk there. Hmm.

Maybe somebody here knows the rules better than me can take a stab at what it might be?

Burnette
01-30-2016, 02:18 PM
OK, other sites are saying yes, it was a motor! Wow. Why do I feel that a motor is even more egregious that dope?
Cause that's just freakin' lazy! Ha!

And in women's cyclocross? How much money was there to gain here?

You know, this technology is going to totally ruin weekend warrior rides. I'm going to show up to a ride on a flat pedaled three speed cruiser with flip flops, shorts, and a Hawaiin shirt on while smoking a cigarette and holding a can of beer and just lay waste to the whole lot with my 'lectro moto.

The who/what/when/where stories from this are going to be interesting.

Neil
01-30-2016, 02:25 PM
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsporza.be%2Fcm%2Fsporza%2Fwielrenne n%2Fveldrijden%2F1.2559848&edit-text=

Translation is not 100% but what I take from that is the motor in the seat tube which was driving the axle of the crankset jammed mid-race.

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2016, 02:33 PM
SHOCKED!

:rolleyes:

Bruce K
01-30-2016, 02:34 PM
How many pages can we get from this if psi in footballs got over100?;):crap::help:

Pretty stupid, but it also makes the performance of the rest of the women more impressive and the rest of her federation teammates suspect as well

BK

Lewis Moon
01-30-2016, 02:46 PM
More info: http://cyclingtips.com/2016/01/more-details-emerge-about-motorized-doping-at-cyclo-cross-worlds/

Cicli
01-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Her family says she is innocent.
The last paragraph of above article.

"His words will likely be viewed with some scepticism, as her brother is currently serving a ban for EPO."

Dead Man
01-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Nah. Too cute to cheat.

http://s1.nieuwsbladcdn.be/Assets/Images_Upload/2016/01/28/c5363768-c5ee-11e5-98ae-6e2ebfe3dc1c_web_scale_0.0608766_0.0608766__.jpg?m axheight=460&maxwidth=629&format=jpg

:banana:

01-30-2016, 03:06 PM
It'll be interesting to see what's gossip and what's fact. I saw this on that CyclingTips article: 展hen the saddle of the tube was removed, there were electrical cables protruding from the tube. When they wanted to remove the crankshaft, something that is normally easy, it was not possible because the crankshaft was stuck." Think they just discovered Di2?

The category of mechanical fraud also includes putting a bike into service that hasn't been approved by the UCI boffins -- any dimension that isn't within UCI standards, and so on. So until there's more said, it could be a bike with the nose of the saddle too far forwards. Believe me, you can't trust European sports journalism very far. Not saying that this isn't finally a motor, but why in under-23 women, why in cross, and why period? Either the technology is a lot more effective than anyone has been able to explain to us, or someone was really stupid, or this is European trash journalism at work. Let's see what really comes out.

pbarry
01-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Why in U23? Beta testing.

Elefantino
01-30-2016, 03:11 PM
SHOCKED!

:rolleyes:..

EricEstlund
01-30-2016, 03:13 PM
"The B"- your first post in this thread was a fairly straight forward objectification, and the second also reduces an athlete to her looks. I don't have anything to add to the conversation, but I hate to see any discussion of professional women athletes devolve into this.

Elefantino
01-30-2016, 03:17 PM
I remember seeing this (http://cyclingtips.com/2015/07/hidden-motor-demonstration-with-greg-lemond/) from LeMond ... and being torn between the thoughts of a) finding it horrible cheating and b) wanting one.

54ny77
01-30-2016, 03:17 PM
That is nuts!

Look on the cyclingtips website. LeMond had a custom built up with a motor. Totally concealed, ceramic gears are silent. Can do 50 watts for 1.5 hours and up to a couple hundred or so for much shorter, maybe 30 min or so.

And I want one!!!!

Dead Man
01-30-2016, 03:21 PM
"The B"- your first post in this thread was a fairly straight forward objectification, and the second also reduces an athlete to her looks. I don't have anything to add to the conversation, but I hate to see any discussion of professional women athletes devolve into this.

My first post had nothing to do with the objectification of women, and I didn't even realize the story was about a woman at the time I posted. The picture is representative of jettisoned innocence - a young girl wearing suggestive clothing, smoking a cigarette, sitting on a city street corner. Much like bringing motors onboard CX bikes at Worlds. What was pure is now no longer. It's a ····ing metaphor, dude.

The second picture.... well, she's cute. W.T.F is wrong with thinking she's cute?

You guys take this gender equality ···· way too far sometimes.

Bruce K
01-30-2016, 03:26 PM
Back to the story, please

BK

jimcav
01-30-2016, 03:27 PM
I remember seeing this (http://cyclingtips.com/2015/07/hidden-motor-demonstration-with-greg-lemond/) from LeMond ... and being torn between the thoughts of a) finding it horrible cheating and b) wanting one.

i missed this before, how much--this would possibly get my wife cycling!

r_mutt
01-30-2016, 04:19 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/03/a8/09/03a809d6d8ab52bc3dd92ebccd029b29.jpg

Innocence lost

I love that my friends picture ended up on a cycling forum. I was there when he shot that!

Btw- the velonews article claims there was motor discovered...

ultraman6970
01-30-2016, 04:23 PM
Wonder if hittler will talk about this in you tube.

spartanKid
01-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Is there a B sample that can be tested for motorized bikes?????????????

Peter P.
01-30-2016, 04:46 PM

Yes. In cyclocross, if the main bike is discovered with technological fraud, they test the pit bike. If the pit bike comes up negative, the rider is clean! :D

54ny77
01-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Yes its called the V8 test.

:)

Bruce K
01-30-2016, 05:07 PM
To get serious....

She us the current European Chsmpion but that may not be affected

If she is racing for the Belgian Federation and this turns out to really be a serious violation, THE BELGIANS get bounced from their own WC event!

All results could be voided for ALL Belgian riders!!

Men would not be allowed to start.

Edit: Reports confirmed of a motor

BK

Tickdoc
01-30-2016, 05:20 PM
I love that my friends picture ended up on a cycling forum. I was there when he shot that!

Btw- the velonews article claims there was motor discovered...

Wait a minute...back to the picture...your friend too the pic of this hottie smoking? And it was randomly posted here and has no affiliation with the story whatsoever? And , you were there when he shot it?

I find this more shocking than a concealed motor.

:confused:

Mackers
01-30-2016, 05:36 PM
i missed this before, how much--this would possibly get my wife cycling!

https://www.salden.nl/nl/fietsen-en-frames/cyclocross/cyclocross-fietsen/wilier-triestina-e-cycl-ocrosser-met-trapondersteuning-183243.html

velomonkey
01-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Looks like there was a motor.

Same people who said no one could EVER do that are the same people who said masters could NEVER do EPO (um red. kite. prayer).

01-30-2016, 06:23 PM

Thanks for saying this. Whatever B says he intended, it came across in an inappropriate way. Even his explanation is not really acceptable in today's world. This form has high standards. Let's strive to meet them.

jlwdm
01-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Wait a minute...back to the picture...your friend too the pic of this hottie smoking? And it was randomly posted here and has no affiliation with the story whatsoever? And , you were there when he shot it?

I find this more shocking than a concealed motor.

:confused:

Not one of her best photos. I think it is Elsa Hosk.

Jeff

bicycletricycle
01-30-2016, 06:48 PM
Thanks for saying this. Whatever B says he intended, it came across in an inappropriate way. Even his explanation is not really acceptable in today's world. This form has high standards. Let's strive to meet them.

curious on why a picture of a young women smoking and looking serious isn't a fine way to express the sentiment "innocence lost".

a bit of serious thread hi-jack here , I'm sorry.

Bruce K
01-30-2016, 06:50 PM
If we can't keep this on the topic, we can close it and try again

BK

bicycletricycle
01-30-2016, 06:53 PM
okay, it is really disappointing that someone would show up with a motor in their bicycle. I guess the only good thing is that one x ray machine from the local airport can easily foil these rascals.

Dead Man
01-30-2016, 07:03 PM

Since I don't even know what your issue with it is, I can't really address this.

But I strongly suspect all you see is the clothed vagina, completely failing to grasp my metaphor. Which had nothing to do with objectification, women, or sex.

Dead Man
01-30-2016, 07:05 PM
If we can't keep this on the topic, we can close it and try again

BK

As the one being accused of something, can't just let that BS stand.. sorry.

ajhapps
01-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Hmm, I think I now know what my riding buddies mean when they have to wait for me at the top of a climb and say, "Dude, your motor is crap."

Who knew, they all had motors in their bikes and I was the idiot just pedaling all the way up!

Amiright?

Cicli
01-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Hmm, I think I now know what my riding buddies mean when they have to wait for me at the top of a climb and say, "Dude, your motor is crap."

Who knew, they all had motors in their bikes and I was the idiot just pedaling all the way up!

Amiright?

I think I have the same buddies. I think you are on to something.

CunegoFan
01-30-2016, 07:23 PM
So...use drugs, which everyone else is using, and the suspension is two, now four, years. The suspension for using a motor: Six months. Explain that.

Bruce K
01-30-2016, 07:25 PM
I am VERY curious as to the how and when of the penalties.

If the UCI Commisars do anything that affects the Belgian Federation and its riders before they have left town on Monday, there will probably be riots and lynchings

As it is, this girl is probably in deep you know what

BK

velomonkey
01-30-2016, 07:25 PM
In before "clothed vagina" got this shut down.

Pelican
01-30-2016, 07:29 PM
As the one being accused of something, can't just let that BS stand.. sorry.

Pretty sure you just confirmed those accusations with that last "metaphor".

In before lock.

Bruce K
01-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Yeah......

If you really wNt to discuss the motor issue try again

BK