PDA

View Full Version : PArlee clamp with Di2

Ryun
01-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Has anyone used the parlee carbon front derailleur clamp with di2 front shifter?

Ive had good luck using their clamp with mechanical but never used one with electronic. I like that it is a little easier on the seat tube finish and is available in 28.6 so I don't have to use shims. I am just a little worried that it might flex to much and take away from the fantastic front shifting I have with 9070.
Parlee says they have beefed up the design to handle it but I was curious if anyone had tried it.
My second choice is just to use the proper 9070 clamp with the supplied shims.

Thanks
Ryun

01-30-2016, 11:09 AM
I had one from a year ago and not only was the shifting sloppy, but be aware that Di2 practically needs a reinforced seat tube in the area of the clamp. I was on an older carbon frame and used it because it looked cool, but the seat tube actually started crushing the resin in the area of the front derailleur mount. I got a new Crumpton a couple years ago and Nick actually is reinforcing the seat tube at the derailleur mount area to ensure the mount is rigid and does nothing to the frame. So I have some reservations about it for that purpose.

eBAUMANN
01-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Im using one on both my carbon landshark and steel imshi, both have been working great in the 2k or so miles I have on them combined.

I am planning on building up my latest di2 project with an omni racer carbon clamp (cheaper parlee clone) as well, so hopefully that works out.

Bottom line, based on my experiences, I would say go for it.

Mike Lopez
01-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Interesting comments.

Haven't tried the Parlee clamp but on the new Holland frame we're also adding local reinforcements at the FD clamping location & bottle bosses. A few grams buys a lot of hoop strength under the clamp...

I'll have to try the Parlee to check out in terms of shifting crispness.

jimcav
01-30-2016, 12:59 PM
i used it with di2 on a steel bike, had no issues

SPOKE
01-30-2016, 01:42 PM
Finally started building my 10th Anniversary Kirk last night and used the Parlee clamp. Seems pretty solid on this steel frame but haven't ridden it yet. I'll know more later.

Hank Scorpio
01-30-2016, 02:17 PM
As an aside what size would you need? I have an "I think" 28.2 one sitting in my parts box if you want to try it. Let me know and I can send it your way.

Ok there isn't a 28.2 made so it must be 28.6 I just checked.

velotrack
01-30-2016, 02:48 PM
If Parlee says it will work, I would probably trust them. They know what they're doing.

01-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Also, you didn't say which frame material. With a steel frame, as several here have used, I doubt there'd be a problem because the material can withstand the localized pressure from repeated shiftings. My comment was restricted to my experience, which was with carbon frames.

And it does shift on a carbon frame. It just doesn't shift as precisely as the alloy clamp does. Just mount the Parlee and then an alloy clamp, grab the end of the derailleur cage, and twist. The alloy clamp will move less. In shifting, that means more precision.

Ryun
02-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Ok so I tried both. I should have gotten some video.

With the parlee clamp the front mech was all over the place even in the stand. Moving visibly just going back and forth. Didnt even bother trying it out onthe road.
Swapped the shimano clamp on using their shims and rock solid.

I dont know if it was the smaller diameter seat tube, the fact it is a carbon seat tube (although the clamp itself seemed to be twisting under load) but my results were much closer to 11.4's experience than others.

I have had great luck with parlee clamps in the past on mechanical front derailleurs but just wasnt to be.
Really wasnt worried about the grams, just wanted the thinner band so I could run the cages I wanted to :)