PDA

View Full Version : Dog bike leashes?

sfscott
01-29-2016, 08:33 PM
I was recommended to try out a bike specific dog leash to find a way to tire my young dog out. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these.

This one looks pretty good and is well-reviewed. Wondering if it could mount to a MTB with disc brakes and QR skewers.

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog-vs-bike-tow-leash.html

There is another type that mounts to a seat post, but it does not looks as well designed. I also don't want it on my dropper post, even if I won't be dropping it while running the mutt

dustyrider
01-29-2016, 08:39 PM
I can't recall the thread title but someone here just posted a picture thread of riding in the snow. The bike has a leash attachment pictured. I never felt safe attaching my dog to the bike. I always hold the leash in my hand so I can drop it. Personal preferences and dog personalities and all.

djg21
01-29-2016, 09:01 PM
I was recommended to try out a bike specific dog leash to find a way to tire my young dog out. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these.

This one looks pretty good and is well-reviewed. Wondering if it could mount to a MTB with disc brakes and QR skewers.

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog-vs-bike-tow-leash.html

There is another type that mounts to a seat post, but it does not looks as well designed. I also don't want it on my dropper post, even if I won't be dropping it while running the mutt

What breed and how young is your dog? It's a bad idea to run puppies while their bones and joints are still developing. Depending on the breed (size) of the dog, this could mean no running until the dog is over a year or more in age.

sfscott
01-29-2016, 09:06 PM
2 year old border collie mix. Rescue dog. Age guesstimated by Vet. More border collie than mix.

djg21
01-29-2016, 09:11 PM
2 year old border collie mix. Rescue dog. Age guesstimated by Vet. More border collie than mix.

Ask your vet first, but I'd think 2 yrs would be good for a relatively small dog unless it has hip or joint issues.

pdmtong
01-29-2016, 09:21 PM
IMHO these are the WORST possible choices for running a dog with a bike.

You are now attached to the dog. Lets say the dog decides to suddenly stop, go chase a squirrel, go chase a car, start zigzagging and barking as they see another dog.

It is far better to get a six foot leash, and ride with your leash hand (left side) off the bar or gently resting on the bar.

I've run my malamute (7:00 mile pace) and now my white german shepard just holding a leash and it is far and away the safest to counter weight an unexpected pull or worse, simply get yourself dragged along for the temporary ride.

I also never let the dog wind up and run as fast as they can. Once. my malamute was absolutely charging and suddenly decided to stop. Even though she was hand leashed when you have a 100# boat anchor thrown out it is never good. I helicoptered horizontally over the sidewalk long enough to realize this is going to hurt.

Hilltopperny
01-29-2016, 09:36 PM
Border collie mix should be fine to run and shouldn't necessarily pull too hard. I have Olde English bulldogges and they would not be a good dog to tie and ride. My male is just too strong and he tends to chase things. I'm assuming that the collie mix is around 30 to 45 lbs and isn't much of a puller. They have some spring loaded leash attachments that I have considered in the past for my female but she does the opposite of my male and will randomly just lay down on the leash as she sees fit. Good luck with whichever route you take. Your new dog is a herder and a worker so I'm sure it will need adaquete exercise.

DRZRM
01-30-2016, 12:07 AM
I also bike with a leash lightly held in my hand. Better if the dog cuts to the wrong side of a tree or sign. I've always wondered about those things, but my 2 year old lab/mutt and I have gotten it down pretty good now.

Louis
01-30-2016, 12:17 AM
Whatever you do, don't ride here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blAxzvSXilU

CampyorBust
01-30-2016, 12:56 AM
It sounds like your riding a real mtb capable of riding on trails and fire roads. Do you plan to ride on the road or the trails?

I would recommend staying away from leashing your dog to your bike, it could be a disaster. Of course if you are in a city environment then this could be your only option. Otherwise I would suggest you look into an electric collar, these things are great if your ok with a gentle zap here and there at first then an audio beep usually suffices. Sport dog makes great collars good customer service too. Great training and enforcement tool, once a dog is collarwise its easy peasy lemon squeezy.

djg21
01-30-2016, 07:40 AM
Two things I never, ever will do is BC ski with my dogs and MTB with my dogs. Insofar as skiing, I've taken them out on a dog-friendly packed cross-country trail, but having dogs under foot when using metal-edged skis is a recipe for disaster. Same with MTBing. Too much could go wrong if the dogs get in the way of you or other riders. Some people do it I know, but I'm happy exercising my dogs in other ways.

stien
01-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Well I may be the voice of dissent here but I ran my mutts with my bike on and off leash quite often. If you want to get pulled off or around you can hold onto the leash. Steering and braking with one hand is a terrible idea.

My dogs are 55 and 65 lbs of pure muscle. Small dogs but lean because we MtB, walk, run daily. If I need to get their ya-yas out real fast I will attach them to my bike bike for some neighborhood runs but otherwise they are off leash.

When on leash they are attached to the seat stay very low, just out of reach of the cassette. I just loop the leashes around the tube and make sure they can't slide up because of the chain hanger on the stay or a small clamp from a light. This way the leash won't hit your foot assuming the dog isn't straight ahead. I do this with two dogs at once. It takes practice for you and them. Don't expect to go crazy first day. They can't pull you over this way. It's like being in a sailboat, sideways force equates to forward motion. They will stop on you to sniff or pee, but you can train that out, or just go with the flow. My girls will go flat out for at least two miles (spinning out on my fat bike) before any stops.

Also they will have to learn to respect the front wheel. Only takes one or two rubs. See another dog? Slow down, my girls just run on by 95% of the time now, but wanted to say hi early on. Expect to dismount if they cross behind the bike.

Other ways I've done it: trailered the mutts on the way to work to the local MUP. They're heavy as hell. When on the path they run beside the trailer. Once back on normal roads they hop back in. 17 miles takes a while towing them plus a very not aero kid trailer even on a road bike. Everyone is tired when we get to work.

GScot
01-30-2016, 08:26 AM
When we were in a nothing can go wrong environment right after adopting Cody I hand held a leash and had him run beside the mtb. He was very well mannered on the leash and learned his spot is out to the left. A few rides and we skipped the leash. Was great while it lasted but we no longer live in off leash country so I took up running and got him a harness and leash that snaps around my waist and has a shock cord section. Doubtful of securely attaching a dog to a bike, seems risky for everyone. I would consider it with a breakaway device and a dog who won't run away.

NHAero
01-30-2016, 09:40 AM
We have one of these lying around if someone wants to make me an offer. Dog is not a fast learner, shall we say?

http://www.biketowleash.com/

bike-md
01-30-2016, 03:04 PM
Another leash holder here.

I started with my husky, who is a good 65lb of sprinting muscle.

I also bike with a big 75-80lb mix of husky/rottie/german shepherd.

One at a time of course...but never had any issues with bike control. You just need to pay attention and spot the squirrels before they do. I do think that my bike handling has improved.

My son sometimes will ride with me, he holds one while I get the other.

I would love to be able to just drop the leash while they run next to me...but the husky in them is strongly independent. I would never dare tie them to the bike, I would rather have the ability to disengage if they ever decide to pull me into trouble.

I also run into unleashed angry dogs around the neighbourhood, and if one wanted to attack me or the dogs, I'd like my pups to have a chance to run away from trouble.

Anyways, it's a lot of fun...so enjoy.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

velomateo
01-30-2016, 07:20 PM
I ride with my two year old male boxer all the time. I use a Springer attached to my beater bike. I love it and he seems to enjoy too. I am careful not to run him on hard surfaces for extended periods and he sets the pace pretty well. Normally he starts off really strong, but he settles in to an easy clip for the rest of the ride.

He's pretty good on the leash, but he can occasionally get distracted. I have modified my Springer with a bar that basically triangulates it to the frame. I use the rear fender mount to fasten the extra brace. Without the brace, he's heavy/strong enough to turn the Springer if he tries heading in the opposite direction of travel. It's a really great way to get rid of his excess energy and I have a fun time too.

If you want a picture of my modification, let me know.

http://www.springeramerica.com/

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/velomateo/EC23D879-AD05-4E12-8461-274C5092FF73_zpscyuqqrdx.jpg (http://s238.photobucket.com/user/velomateo/media/EC23D879-AD05-4E12-8461-274C5092FF73_zpscyuqqrdx.jpg.html)

Here's a link to short video.

http://vid238.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/velomateo/26353ABC-A0A3-4FCB-98ED-493467C1D3C8_zpspbmdwgku.mp4

Clydesdale
01-30-2016, 07:39 PM
Spiderman and his dobe have thousands of miles on a bike leash. I'll try to get him on this thread.

Ronsonic
01-30-2016, 08:17 PM
The only riding I've done with my dog has been in a very large open area along the canal to the east of Tampa. She doesn't run tight to me, but flanks, stops to sniff interesting things, occasionally takes point or just runs around and then sprints to catch up with me. She's leery of the bike so isn't going to get under my wheel, but she's also a bit reckless so I don't trust her on the trails.

She loves it, it's the one time I can really "run" with her.

Dr Luxurious
01-30-2016, 08:32 PM
You need a dryland mushing rig

http://www.traczer.com/

http://www.traczerusa.com/products-action/

spiderman
01-31-2016, 07:29 AM
Spiderman and his dobe have thousands of miles on a bike leash. I'll try to get him on this thread.

But I do love riding with my red dobe, 70 pounds of fast.
I ride with him on and off lead and first taught him how to walk
Before we began to run...then we started to ride together
All with a slack lead. We also have voice commands and hand signals.
"No rabbits" has been a life saver...
We started with a walky dog device and harness but rarely use
The harness anymore as it causes some skin irritation
When we go for more than ten miles at a time. He also has chewed
Through the front strap on more than one occasion.
Our best on lead option is a retractable lead set up as a loop around his neck
And placed in my jersey pocket....best for rides on single track where dogs must be on lead at all times.
I've also trained our neighbors golden to ride with us. It took Charley and Truman one time up and back on the driveway to help me figure out how it works�� Attaching the retractable lead to the walky dog was the best option for them. Truman seemed to really enjoy teaching his friend how to ride since Charley spent some time this summer teaching my pal Truman how to swim!
My first red dobe and our experience from three years ago:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=122086&highlight=Dog+lead

PFSLABD
01-31-2016, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't want to run a dog with a bike. Providing, you can keep the dog walking/running in a straight line without stopping to investigate every pole or tree, you might be able to exercise him. I'd be worried that the dog would run out into traffic as well. Then you might have PETA folks see you and try to say you are practicing animal cruelty.

I don't know the breed of the dog, here, but if you have a high energy dog, you will never tire him out. I have two Shelties from the same litter. They were bred to be sheep herding dogs, and they can run 100 miles a day without ever getting tired. They will chase my golf cart, so I have run the cart all over the farm with them chasing me, and try as I might, I have never been able to tire them out.

spiderman
01-31-2016, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't want to run a dog with a bike. Providing, you can keep the dog walking/running in a straight line without stopping to investigate every pole or tree, you might be able to exercise him. I'd be worried that the dog would run out into traffic as well. Then you might have PETA folks see you and try to say you are practicing animal cruelty.

I don't know the breed of the dog, here, but if you have a high energy dog, you will never tire him out. I have two Shelties from the same litter. They were bred to be sheep herding dogs, and they can run 100 miles a day without ever getting tired. They will chase my golf cart, so I have run the cart all over the farm with them chasing me, and try as I might, I have never been able to tire them out.

Somewhere around the 15 mile mark
It finally clicked that we were partners
And he could follow my lead and look to me
To set the pace and be in charge...
Here's from today

PFSLABD
01-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Somewhere around the 15 mile mark
It finally clicked that we were partners
And he could follow my lead and look to me
To set the pace and be in charge...
Here's from today

That's a nice looking dog. None of my dogs are leash trained other than put on a choke collar. They run pretty much my farm, and I'm located a quarter mile off the road. I discourage them from going to the road, but there is always that possibility. Both dogs get plenty of exercise and come when they are called. Shelties are a very devoted breed and love to follow me during my walks in the woods. I don't have to worry about taking them for exercise. Exercise is all they do.

beeatnik
01-31-2016, 04:27 PM
the homie Clarence
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1493/24345612072_fe8a850997_c.jpg

spiderman
01-31-2016, 04:30 PM
That's a nice looking dog. None of my dogs are leash trained other than put on a choke collar. They run pretty much my farm, and I'm located a quarter mile off the road. I discourage them from going to the road, but there is always that possibility. Both dogs get plenty of exercise and come when they are called. Shelties are a very devoted breed and love to follow me during my walks in the woods. I don't have to worry about taking them for exercise. Exercise is all they do.

He had doggie adhd and couldn't stand still
Until I started exercising him...now he is
Just calm as can be but is always just eager
To go whether cross country skiing or riding
Or just a walk around the block...

PFSLABD
01-31-2016, 04:33 PM
I did a real dumb thing back years ago. I live near the Great Dismal Swamp so I took my Half-English Bull/Half Collie into the swamp. I rode my old 3 spd Schwinn on the logging road with the idea of her running beside me. She would forge on ahead and wait for me to catch up. She was quite a runner and in good shape. I didn't take any water for her because I figured she could drink water out of the drainage ditches. The only thing, the ditches were filled with brown Juniper water, which is acidic, and I found out later that dogs won't drink it. I also didn't bank on the fact that her pads would get cut from running on the gravel logging road. It was a real hot day, and she soon became so tired from running and dehydrated that she collapsed in the ditch. I left the bike in the swamp and had to carry her out. Fortunately, I hadn't gone but about 2 miles in. I got her home and immediately placed her in a tub of water and cupped water in my hand. I allowed the water to run down her back and head to bring her temperature back down, something that the vet told my dad when our fox hound got overheated on a hunt. It saved her from dying. I thought I would tell this story, especially about the dangers during a hot summer day and the possibility of the dog's pads becoming raw and blistered from these gravel logging roads.

PFSLABD
01-31-2016, 04:37 PM
He had doggie adhd and couldn't stand still
Until I started exercising him...now he is
Just calm as can be but is always just eager
To go whether cross country skiing or riding
Or just a walk around the block...

What breed is he? I was thinking Weimaraner at first, but then maybe Doberman, but without the cropped ears.

GScot
01-31-2016, 07:07 PM
About that carried the dog out story... Mine had no one in danger so it can be laughed at.

Our first Sheltie was nearly Border Collie size, 35 lbs or more. On walks she learned that if she got into stickers we could get them out of her feet faster and easier the she could so would stop and hold the foot up. OnE night out well past dark she ended up in sandburr and goathead central. (Later learned it was a crank who deliberately grew a yard of thorns to keep kids out, city eventually put a stop to it) she had so many I ended up carrying her home, only a half mile but we still laugh about it.

spiderman
02-01-2016, 09:57 PM
What breed is he? I was thinking Weimaraner at first, but then maybe Doberman, but without the cropped ears.

He's a red dobe with natural ears
We rescued a couple years ago...