PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads for "vintage" anodized rims

Dead Man
01-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Is there a preferred brake pad for these old anodized, unmachined NOS rims? Regular black DA pads aren't cutting it.

Also - I assume braking will change/improve as the anodizing wears off? It's happening pretty rapidly, and I THINK I'm already noticing a slight improvement in friction, but they still squeak like dying rabbits. Toed out and all.

Cicli
01-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Is there a preferred brake pad for these old anodized, unmachined NOS rims? Regular black DA pads aren't cutting it.

Also - I assume braking will change/improve as the anodizing wears off? It's happening pretty rapidly, and I THINK I'm already noticing a slight improvement in friction, but they still squeak like dying rabbits. Toed out and all.

Kool Stop Salmon.

thwart
01-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Kool Stop Salmon.

Yep. They'll still squeak the first dozen stops, but after that you'll be in love.

Modulation and stopping power.

donevwil
01-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Kool Stop Salmon.

They are the best, just make sure to keep them clean and pick out debris if necessary. The Salmon compound is softer than most OEM materials and tends to grab and hang onto pieces of debris more readily (primarily in wet conditions). That can score any anodized finish pretty quickly.

Black Dog
01-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Swiss stop blue. :banana:

Hindmost
01-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Swiss stop blue. :banana:

I am using these with modern Shimano pad holders, machined aluminum rim surfaces, and really like them. I don't suppose they are available for vintage pad holders, though...

Vintage anodized rim brake surfaces are not anodized for long. Ride in the rain once or twice.

Dead Man
01-29-2016, 03:12 PM
I am using these with modern Shimano pad holders, machined aluminum rim surfaces, and really like them. I don't suppose they are available for vintage pad holders, though...

Vintage anodized rim brake surfaces are not anodized for long. Ride in the rain once or twice.

Bike is otherwise modern, brakes, even the hubs.. just NOS rims.