PDA

View Full Version : Crank Arm protectors

Brian Cdn
01-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Came across an ad for "Crank Arm" rubber protectors.
Guess they're designed so cranks can practice safe cycling... :)

Anyone use / have these on their cranks ?

Cicli
01-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Are you talking about those rubber end caps that go on over the end of the arm and the pedal passes through?
I dont see a need for those on a road bike. Mountain bike? Maybe but I still wouldn't use them.

Mr_Gimby
01-29-2016, 11:57 AM
They're pretty valuable on carbon MTB cranks in rocky areas, and really can help protect alu cranks if you are worried about resale value. Road cranks probably need not apply.

Dead Man
01-29-2016, 11:59 AM
I've been meaning to get some of those clear plastic tape-y crank protectors for heel rub... but I don't generally go banging my crank tips around too much.. not seeing the need

d_douglas
01-29-2016, 12:32 PM
I have the pedal thread mounted ones on my Raceface MTB cranks. The cranks were already pretty chewed up, so it was actually a bit of vanity that drove me to cover them up/protect from further damage.

As for the clear film, I find that stuff so ugly! Once the cranks are used a fair bit (getting wet/muddy/sandy) they start peeling and looking horrid. I have seen many SRAM carbon cranks that just look terrible - mostly through good hard use, but I still thing they would look better without the protective film. I actually think SRAM cranks are pretty awesome looking, but they don't last long that way.

Why not design cranks that minimize the affects of heel rub?

I personally have a pretty smooth (read absolutely perfect) pedal stroke ;), so I don't actually rub my heels at all, but my new era SLX cranks are designed with a brushed silver area on the arms so that shoe rub isn't so horrible. Its great design. Black alloy cranks seem like they're destined to look worn/ugly/patina'd.

Cicli
01-29-2016, 12:36 PM
I have the pedal thread mounted ones on my Raceface MTB cranks. The cranks were already pretty chewed up, so it was actually a bit of vanity that drove me to cover them up/protect from further damage.

As for the clear film, I find that stuff so ugly! Once the cranks are used a fair bit (getting wet/muddy/sandy) they start peeling and looking horrid. I have seen many SRAM carbon cranks that just look terrible - mostly through good hard use, but I still thing they would look better without the protective film. I actually think SRAM cranks are pretty awesome looking, but they don't last long that way.

Why not design cranks that minimize the affects of heel rub?

I personally have a pretty smooth (read absolutely perfect) pedal stroke ;), so I don't actually rub my heels at all, but my new era SLX cranks are designed with a brushed silver area on the arms so that shoe rub isn't so horrible. Its great design. Black alloy cranks seem like they're destined to look worn/ugly/patina'd.

I think shoe worn crank arms make the bike look used. A used bike is a good bike.

Megalodon
01-29-2016, 02:03 PM
The film shouldn't peel. It's just like the paint protection film used on cars and should be nearly invisible if done properly.

I bet buying scraps of that stuff on eBay is cheaper than crank protectors.

Black Dog
01-29-2016, 02:09 PM

I use the clear protectors for heel rub etc on my crank's faces. They are invisible and hold up very well; worth their weight in gold. For the ends of the crank I use a small piece of Gorilla Repair Tape. Anal, I know...:help:

You never noticed them on my bike last summer did you?...they are that invisible. They are cut to fit perfectly.

LINK (http://crankskins.myshopify.com/products/crankskins-clear-bike-protection-new-full-wrap-crankskins-for-campagnolo-record)

dave thompson
01-29-2016, 02:31 PM
CrankSkins are really very good, fit their respective products properly, last a long time and the kits include numerous circles and squares to mount on the frame to prevent cable rubs.

Brian Cdn
01-29-2016, 03:19 PM
I use the clear protectors for heel rub etc on my crank's faces. They are invisible and hold up very well; worth their weight in gold. For the ends of the crank I use a small piece of Gorilla Repair Tape. Anal, I know...:help:

You never noticed them on my bike last summer did you?...they are that invisible. They are cut to fit perfectly.

LINK (http://crankskins.myshopify.com/products/crankskins-clear-bike-protection-new-full-wrap-crankskins-for-campagnolo-record)

Good stuff...

Didn't notice at all. You were spinning high rpm's... could barely see your feet :)

crankles
01-29-2016, 03:39 PM
I bought a roll of this stuff and cut to size. I cover the underside of downtubes and other vulnerable spots on my cross bikes with it too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BZO05C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

pdmtong
01-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Are you talking about those rubber end caps that go on over the end of the arm and the pedal passes through?
I use the race face one when I take my mtb to lift-assisted Northstar-at-Tahoe

They're pretty valuable on carbon MTB cranks in rocky areas
those granite rocks are sharp big and hard. i do not want to take an end impact on my carbon crank arm because I biffed a line