PDA

View Full Version : HELP with a Molteni Merckx

Bim
01-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Hey guys,
I could use some help here. I'm planning to pick up a Molteni Merckx and I just want to make sure I won't have any regrets. This has been up for sale for a while now by one of Toronto's well-known reseller. We finally agreed on a price.

Serial No. on the BB reads 5P-8093-E. Read in U pattern as this site (http://www.cadre.org/Merckx/) suggests.

It looks to be a Professional (?) repainted by Cyclart and looks to be in great shape from the pics. Can anyone confirm? See anything off? Any insight would help, really.

Comments about the toilet are welcome too. :beer:

Black Dog
01-29-2016, 10:28 AM
A fully toilet trained Merckx is a rare find indeed. I see it is also washing its forks after the deed, extra nice. :D

Bim
01-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Hey man, I'm sure you've seen this frame in the classifieds. I finally found a frame to hang a Merckx stem on.

What do you think?

01-29-2016, 10:39 AM
What exactly are you asking? It looks to be a correct early Eddy Merckx factory frameset, roughly mid-eighties. That's the fork crown, the top tube cable guides, the seat stay ends, lugs, etc. What does the bottom bracket look like? That's pretty distinctive on these. I think the fork should also have a stamp on it, though this might be a bit early for that.

There are people here who know the ancestry of Merckx frames much better than I, but I did own a couple from this vintage. The frame looks accurate. Can't say whether it's been repaired or not from what you've sent, and no reason to believe it isn't CyclArt, but paint job (unless it's really bad) isn't an issue anyway once it's a repaint anyway. You should be checking the frame for signs of repair. It wasn't painted to run different braze ons, so it may either have had some rust and wear or frame damage.

distanc3
01-29-2016, 10:46 AM
I can't comment on the frame itself but the seller of this "infamous toilet" shot is a reputable bike collector/shop in Toronto. He has quite a neat collection and from what I read previously he is a great guy to deal with.

Brian Cdn
01-29-2016, 11:38 AM
A fully toilet trained Merckx is a rare find indeed. I see it is also washing its forks after the deed, extra nice. :D

It's a Euro dual-purpose toilet ...

rwsaunders
01-29-2016, 11:40 AM
"Rim" brakes? :cool:

zmudshark
01-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Yep, a Professional.

thwart
01-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Yep, a Professional.

... takes one to know one... ;)

Tickdoc
01-29-2016, 12:43 PM
That frame is the $hit, man.

ntb1001
01-29-2016, 12:45 PM
I've sold that seller(Cam) a couple of bike and some parts.
Seems like a decent guy.

lhuerta
01-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Looks like a legit mid 80s Professional (straight rear brake bridge, straight bridge on BB). I am surprised that CycleArt didn't get the color code correct (or perhaps it is just the lousy pics) but the respray tint is off from original Molteni orange (this one is too red). Also, my only concern on the respray would be what prior damage frame may have had, especially when they painted over chrome dropouts and chainstay. Lastly, do the seat tube H20 bosses actually have bosses or is the fame just drilled (can't tell from low rez pics).

Is it being offered at a good price? I don't think I would pay more then $500...

echelon_john
01-29-2016, 03:49 PM
"Hold on a second; I'm just going to hit the head real quick. Can I bring the frame?"

christian
01-29-2016, 03:50 PM
I don't have anything to add to what Lou says.

It's a Professional.
It's been repainted.
It's only worth $500 if you really like that paint job.

It's cool.

Bim
01-29-2016, 04:07 PM
Thanks all! With the poor Canadian dollar, it's actually closer to USD400 which I think is a fair price.

I'm hoping the darker orange is due to lighting, I'll see it up close tomorrow.

Bim
01-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Did ALL professionals come with chromed ds chainstay and dropouts? This actually bothers me.

Looks like a legit mid 80s Professional (straight rear brake bridge, straight bridge on BB). I am surprised that CycleArt didn't get the color code correct (or perhaps it is just the lousy pics) but the respray tint is off from original Molteni orange (this one is too red). Also, my only concern on the respray would be what prior damage frame may have had, especially when they painted over chrome dropouts and chainstay. Lastly, do the seat tube H20 bosses actually have bosses or is the fame just drilled (can't tell from low rez pics).

Is it being offered at a good price? I don't think I would pay more then $500...

Hindmost
01-29-2016, 05:36 PM
What is the rear dropout spacing? Just curious.

donevwil
01-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Did ALL professionals come with chromed ds chainstay and dropouts? This actually bothers me.

Most Professionals I've seen in person had no chrome at all, FWIW.

Bim
01-29-2016, 07:58 PM
What is the rear dropout spacing? Just curious.

Probably 126 but would be happy to find out it's 130 so I can run it with a newer group. :)

zmudshark
01-29-2016, 08:26 PM
I've had three Professionals. Two had the DS chainstay chromed, and chrome dropouts. One had no chrome whatsoever. The chromed bikes were both 1985 Professionals (Z date code). The bike without chrome was a very early 80's model with over the BB cable routing. Only the early model had the flat fork crown.

FWIW, I really liked the Professionals. My wife still has hers. I sold mine only because they handled so close to my De Rosa Professional, and I didn't need/want that many bikes that rode the same. I preferred the Professional to the Corsa/Corsa Extra, but that is personal preference.

Enjoy.

Edit: not that tough to spread to 130, just align the dropouts and make sure you pulled both sides equally. Everyone with a steel bike should own a Park FFG-2 and FAG-2, or similar.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2016, 08:09 AM
Probably 126 but would be happy to find out it's 130 so I can run it with a newer group. :)

Even if 126, really easy to 'cold set' to 130mm..align dropouts. A good chance to check alignment anyway..any decent bike shop or DIY wrench can do it.
FAG-1, ruler, 'H' tools...

Pastashop
01-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Orange is worth a $250 up charge regardless of anything else, ATMO. ;)