PDA

View Full Version : NixFrixShun

oldpotatoe
01-29-2016, 09:05 AM
NFS lube now owned by Silca..or always??

http://www.amazon.com/Silca-NFS-Pro-Chain-Lube-Color/dp/B00TQ4OEOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454079785&sr=8-1&keywords=NFS+bike+lube

fiamme red
01-29-2016, 09:09 AM
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/new-products/2014/11/21/silca-introduces-new-chain-lube#.VquAldIrK9I

http://silca.cc/products/silca-nfs-pro-chain-lube

I was motivated to contact the fine folks at NFS after hearing about their 'magic chain lube' through numerous pro mechanics, teams, athletes, frame builders and others. It felt like all of a sudden there was this amazing secret being shared amongst a very elite group of professionals who's jobs it was to build and maintain bicycles at the highest levels. The word on the street was that they had 'discovered' this phenomenal lube that ran smoothly, silently, and most interestingly had unmatched durability even in there worst conditions. Pro teams were using the stuff and reporting silent and smooth running chains after 7 hour grand tour stages in the rain, and the stuff was spreading through professional cyclocross at an amazing rate. Late last spring I contacted NFS and we began working on a custom formulation for SILCA. After months of work, we have a product that we can truly say perfectly blends the brand values and ethos of both SILCA and NFS. Passion. Precision. Performance (Durability, Longevity!)

eddief
01-29-2016, 09:29 AM
I'd buy it at $20 per 2 oz.

Still at NFS store:

only $15 per .16 lbs.

saab2000
01-29-2016, 09:46 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Silca-NFS-Pro-Chain-Lube-Color/dp/B00TQ4OEOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454079785&sr=8-1&keywords=NFS+bike+lube

I believe it to be a marketing partnership but you'd have to confirm that with Josh, who is behind NFS. He's the owner and founder of the Velocipede Salon, a great lifelong rider and friend to cycling and an all-around great guy.

They are down today for forum maintenance but you can ask him there. He's one of the good guys.

Lionel
01-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Josh is frantically filling up bottles of NFS right now while vSalon is down ;)

saab2000
01-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Here is a shipment of oil at one of the many NFS Industries holding facilities.

https://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/inside_out/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Baird11-1024x685.jpg

Auk
01-29-2016, 09:55 AM
It's good stuff. Good enough that when you leave a bottle at the last cx race you parked at and think "f-it, I'll just use the other three brands I have on the shelf", and you do. . .you'll buy a replacement bottle.

fiamme red
01-29-2016, 09:56 AM
I'd buy it at $20 per 2 oz.

Still at NFS store:

only $15 per .16 lbs.Silca has free shipping on single bottles of lube. On the other hand, if I buy just one bottle of NFS lube at nixfrixshun.com (http://www.nixfrixshun.com/), the minimum shipping charge is $10.63 via FedEx Ground. If I spend over $30, then shipping is free. But since one bottle of NFS should last 10,000 miles or something like that, why would I buy two?

tuxbailey
01-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Silca has free shipping on single bottles of lube. On the other hand, if I buy just one bottle of NFS lube at nixfrixshun.com (http://www.nixfrixshun.com/), the minimum shipping charge is $10.63 via FedEx Ground. If I spend over $30, then shipping is free. But since one bottle of NFS should last 10,000 miles or something like that, why would I buy two?

Share one with your friend to save on shipping?

znfdl
01-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Buy some handlebar tape, compared to other premium brands, the stuff is better and a bargain.

fiamme red
01-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Buy some handlebar tape, compared to other premium brands, the stuff is better and a bargain.And you can have any color as long as it's black. :)

chiasticon
01-29-2016, 10:45 AM
it was prime on Amazon, for a while. probably will be again. still free to ship there at least.

I love this stuff. I don't think it'll last me *quite* as long as 10k miles but it's lasting a long time. I'm just going through it quicker because my bikes got cleaned a lot during cross season. still, I got it last may and I'm only about halfway through the bottle (which, to be fair, if I hadn't raced cross I prolly would've ridden about 5-6k miles in that time). regardless of that, it just works really smoothly, it's quiet and it keeps the drivetrain clean.

cinema
01-29-2016, 10:53 AM
what am I doing wrong? not cleaning the drive train well enough? it lasts me about 100-200 miles like any other lube. regardless it's good

brockd15
01-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Silca has free shipping on single bottles of lube. On the other hand, if I buy just one bottle of NFS lube at nixfrixshun.com (http://www.nixfrixshun.com/), the minimum shipping charge is $10.63 via FedEx Ground. If I spend over $30, then shipping is free. But since one bottle of NFS should last 10,000 miles or something like that, why would I buy two?

I must be doing it wrong. How do you get free shipping from Silca? I just tried to check out with just a single bottle and it's adding $4.95 to ship.

fiamme red
01-29-2016, 11:14 AM
I must be doing it wrong. How do you get free shipping from Silca? I just tried to check out with just a single bottle and it's adding $4.95 to ship.At Amazon it's $17.13 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ4OEOE?keywords=nfs&m=A1J8F6C6C3Q5GZ&qid=1454087625&ref_=sr_1_1&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1.

likebikes
01-29-2016, 11:18 AM
one bottle of NFS lube at nixfrixshun.com (http://www.nixfrixshun.com/), the minimum shipping charge is $10.63 via FedEx Ground.
this is just idiotic. first class mail shipping would cost 1/4 or 1/3 of that.

54ny77
01-29-2016, 11:23 AM
i'm guessing it's a small 1-person operation so it's mainly a handling cost than it is actual shipping cost.

i've bought dinky little items before on ebay and whatnot, and the shipping was sometimes 4-5x the price of the item.

this is just idiotic. first class mail shipping would cost 1/4 or 1/3 of that.

rwsaunders
01-29-2016, 11:30 AM
I like it much better than other brands that I have used in the past and it has served me well in a range of conditions. I probably apply it too often, but that's me. Ymmv

Josh is one of the good guys out there and he gives back to our special sport/hobby/obsession in many ways, so perhaps I spend a few more bucks to help support his efforts. I'm ok with that too.

chiasticon
01-29-2016, 11:39 AM
what am I doing wrong? not cleaning the drive train well enough? it lasts me about 100-200 miles like any other lube. regardless it's goodyou mean each application lasts you 100-200 miles? sounds about right. but each application should only be a few drops of it; I do about 6, unless I did a full drivetrain clean or something.

tumbler
01-29-2016, 11:45 AM
what am I doing wrong? not cleaning the drive train well enough? it lasts me about 100-200 miles like any other lube. regardless it's good.

ldamelio
01-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Just labeling, not owned by Silca. I have 4 bottles of NFS - one labeled Richard Sachs (accompanied purchase of courier bag), one labeled Spectrum cycles (Tom dispenses with new bike) and two just plain old NFS label. Great stuff, BTW. I do 10 drops, about 100 crank revolutions to distribute it, wipe off excess. I get about 400-500 dry road miles this way. Harder to quantify on cross bike that gets abused and power washed.

oldguy00
01-29-2016, 12:14 PM
you mean each application lasts you 100-200 miles? sounds about right. but each application should only be a few drops of it; I do about 6, unless I did a full drivetrain clean or something.

Can you explain that? I know they've said that in the past on Vsalon, that it takes very little, but how does 6 drops make its way into 100+ links?

Anyway, I bought a bottle from Josh. I'm all for him doing well with it, but me personally, I didn't like it. It smelled really bad and I found my chain got black really quick, and I didn't apply that much (but more than 4 drops).

I've gone back to Pedros road and it works fine.

chiasticon
01-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Can you explain that? I know they've said that in the past on Vsalon, that it takes very little, but how does 6 drops make its way into 100+ links?what the guy above you said. spin the cranks and change gears to distribute it. works well. if your chain was black, you used way too much.

flydhest
01-29-2016, 12:57 PM
I get bottles dropped in a rear pocket when I run into Josh on the road and spin with him for a few miles. He is good folks. I have counted myself as lucky to have him as a friend for well over a decade.

djg21
01-29-2016, 01:00 PM

Just rebranded.

OtayBW
01-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Yes - Just rebranded or licensed or something to Silca AFAIK. I bought a bottle of NFS from Josh at the 2014 Philly Bike Expo and have used <1/3 of it on three bikes and plenty of miles. I bought another bottle at the 2015 show and wondered if I'll ever need to get into it....

summilux
01-29-2016, 01:53 PM
For the Canadians here, Noah at VeloColour sells NFS. It's cheap too, $16 Cdn, which is about $1 USD at current exchange.

http://velocolour.com

ceolwulf
01-29-2016, 02:21 PM
For the Canadians here, Noah at VeloColour sells NFS. It's cheap too, $16 Cdn, which is about $1 USD at current exchange.

http://velocolour.com

Thanks, I've been meaning to try this stuff.

znfdl
01-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Last fall I rode the GAP and C&O Canal in one ride, which is 335 miles. The GAP trail was dusty and the C&O Canal was muddy. Here is a picture of my chain after 335 miles. Notice that the bike is somewhat caked in mud, while the chain is pretty clean considering the conditions.

It is the only chain lube that I will use. I used 10 drops prior to the ride.

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.......

https://www.dropbox.com/home/NFS?preview=IMG_0360+(Medium).JPG

OtayBW
01-29-2016, 04:52 PM
As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.......

https://www.dropbox.com/home/NFS?preview=IMG_0360+(Medium).JPG
Not if we all can't view it. Is it possible for you to host the pic(s) somewhere that does not require a site registration/username-pw to see it? Thx.

znfdl
01-29-2016, 04:54 PM
Sorry, How about this?

OtayBW
01-29-2016, 04:57 PM
^ Thanks. Looks good, but doesn't surprise me as a user myself.

bcroslin
01-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Another satisfied customer. Bought a bottle 9 months ago and I think I've accidentally spilled more than I've used since new. The stuff works and I only use 8 or 9 drops per application.

dave thompson
01-29-2016, 05:38 PM
I use NFS at the bicycle repair school I teach as well as on our personal bikes. I also put NFS on every threaded fitting I can find on cycles and ATVs as the humid salt air here can corrode and seize things quickly. I've had zero issues in nearly two years. I'm using the same bottle since our initial arrival and have used less than half of it.

R3awak3n
01-29-2016, 07:25 PM
I like NFS a lot so far myself. I bought it from the website and when I got it they also included a small to go bottle with it. No joke that tiny bottle alone will be good for at least 3 months if not more.

Its good stuff. I followed silcas instructions. On a clean chain put a drop of NFS per link then you can go about doing the 12 12 12, rotate crank 12 times and wipe chain for 12 seconds.

Whoever said their chain turned black, not happening to me, you have to wipe the chain once in a while, they recommend after every ride but I do it ever other ride and the chain looks clean and super quite.

foo_fighter
01-29-2016, 11:27 PM
Actually they are not the same. The Silca version is slightly different. IRC, it's customized to be slightly easier to apply but doesn't last quite as long as the original version.

ldamelio
01-30-2016, 03:55 AM
Didn't realize the Silca formulation was different. Instructions for 'regular' NFS are clear in that it should only be put on 10 links (ie every tenth link or so or so) then one minute of running it in, then wipe excess. I know Josh has the eco-friendly version (green bottle when branded as NFS). Not sure what the instructions are for this; perhaps this is the Silca formula.

I don't worry about the eco-friendly aspect for this - in two years (about 10,000 road miles and two full cross seasons running two bikes) - I've only used about 1/3 of one bottle. There are more obvious areas of improvement in my carbon footprint. My Endurox farts are more harmful to the environment.

jemoryl
01-30-2016, 10:50 AM
I don't really understand how the 'put one drop on every 10 links' thing can work. Isn't the goal of lubricating the chain to get some lube on the inside coating the pins and then have very little on the outside (so that it isn't a dirt magnet)? How would the NFS magically migrate to the other pins in between the selected ones?

R3awak3n
01-30-2016, 11:22 AM
I don't really understand how the 'put one drop on every 10 links' thing can work. Isn't the goal of lubricating the chain to get some lube on the inside coating the pins and then have very little on the outside (so that it isn't a dirt magnet)? How would the NFS magically migrate to the other pins in between the selected ones?

it won't and thats why silca recommends first time putting one on each link.

Matt-H
01-30-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm all for him doing well with it, but me personally, I didn't like it. It smelled really bad

You think NFS is bad, try some Dumonde. Apply outside or else!

Another loyal NFS user here.

OtayBW
01-30-2016, 11:46 AM
it won't and thats why silca recommends first time putting one on each link.
The original recommendation when the product 1st came out (as I understand it as told to me by Josh at the 2014 Philly show) was to 'pull a very thin, continuous thread of the product along each side plate of the chain while pedaling backwards'. You invert the bottle and touch a bead of the fluid to a plate and it will draw out this thin thread as you pedal. It's doable, but not straightforward, and it seems that idea kind of morphed over time to hitting one link at a time with one drop ---- or some variation thereof.

As far as putting one drop on every 10 links is concerned, I'd have to guess that the material is thixotropic - e.g., the viscosity decreases while under shear (spreads while pedaling), but actually returns to a higher viscosity (and thus sticks to the chain) when the shear is removed. Think of how good ceiling paint works (flows easily with no trace of brush marks, but does not drip). $10.00 word of the day....:rolleyes:

djg21
01-30-2016, 12:37 PM
You think NFS is bad, try some Dumonde. Apply outside or else!

Another loyal NFS user here.

My wife was ready threatened to divorce me when I applied Dumonde lube in my workshop, which in a finished basement with a family room. The whole house stunk.

NFS is good stuff. It works. I get mine from RedRider's shop so I pay tax but no shipping.

R3awak3n
01-30-2016, 12:41 PM
my wife hates the smell of grease, and it makes her sneeze. Sometimes I come back inside after working on the bikes and she starts sneezing and just hates that smell. Sorry wife.