PDA

View Full Version : Silly bike thing you once did

Curve_in
01-28-2016, 05:39 PM
When I got my first set of tubular wheels, I carried a spare and a tube of glue! I must have looked silly sitting on the side of the road gluing on a tire in the noon day sun. The guy at the shop gave me a strange look when I ask him the best way to protect my spare tire glue.

tumbler
01-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Trimming brake cables... I measured the housing, remeasured the housing, lined up the cutters and snipped. I noticed that the cut took a little more force than usual... and then realized that the cable was still inside the housing when I cut it :crap:.

PFSLABD
01-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Done that, but what I hate are the mechanics, who cut the brake cable too short and then put on the crimp cap, which means there is no adjustment for the cable, other than replacing it.

brockd15
01-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Trimming brake cables... I measured the housing, remeasured the housing, lined up the cutters and snipped. I noticed that the cut took a little more force than usual... and then realized that the cable was still inside the housing when I cut it :crap:.

I may or may not have done that....:p

Bradford
01-28-2016, 05:58 PM

He said once. I've done that at least 3 times (maybe 4).

Ronsonic
01-28-2016, 06:02 PM
Retraining on thread direction every time I remove or install a bottom bracket.

One more reason to work on bikes uninverted.

Yeah. I know.

Still I know.

Still I get confuscated.

zennmotion
01-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Cleaning the chain with gasoline. In the back of my Dad's garage. Then lubing it with melted paraffin. Because Bicycling Magazine said so.:help:

carpediemracing
01-28-2016, 06:37 PM
I may or may not have gotten my fingers stuck between the rear tire and the seat tube (39 cm stays, on my first race bike, in the mid 80s), locking up the rear tire, skidding to a stop from about 20-25 mph, toppled over onto said hand, and then I had to move the wheel backwards with my other hand until I could get to the double toe straps to get my feet out of the pedals.

This may or may not have happened twice.

The other thing is whenever I fool around on a bike I inevitably do a bike throw (like for a finish line, not like tossing a person as far as possible). One day I did something to my bike, some mod, and I took the bike out for a test spin, on sneakers. I did a bike throw, because, very good form, butt way out over the rear tire.

I had Aerolite pedals, which are basically round sleeves that spin around the axle. Aerolites and Vans means your feet slip right off the pedals.

I landed with my crotch on the rear tire and because I was going forward everything got jammed into the rear brake. I had to walk the bike back a step or so in order to get the rear wheel to back up.

I never did that again.

Cicli
01-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Rode my bmx bike off the two story roof into a pool.
Is this what we are talking about?

paredown
01-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Mine was taking a cut-through in an English parking garage, and following an exiting car over the pneumatic pop-up that kept people from sneaking in.

Yeah, I was launched big time.

Got direct experience with National Health though.:help:

PFSLABD
01-28-2016, 06:53 PM
I remember back when I used to ride with caged pedal clips, how I was strapped in too tight and couldn't get out of them at the stop sign. Falling over at the stop sign was very embarrassing, since there was an old general store with country bumpkins sitting out on the front porch guffawing at me.

PFSLABD
01-28-2016, 06:55 PM
Retraining on thread direction every time I remove or install a bottom bracket.

One more reason to work on bikes uninverted.

Yeah. I know.

Still I know.

Still I get confuscated.

That sounds esoteric if not a little abstruse.

Dead Man
01-28-2016, 06:57 PM
When I got my first set of tubular wheels, I carried a spare and a tube of glue! I must have looked silly sitting on the side of the road gluing on a tire in the noon day sun. The guy at the shop gave me a strange look when I ask him the best way to protect my spare tire glue.

What am I missing? Lots of people carry spares... and a tube of glue

---

First thing that comes to mind... I wanted to test/experiment/dink around with how much pedal cornering clearing I had on my new frame. I'd been riding a cross frame that had a really high BB and had been fearlessly pedaling through some really tight corners.. not sure how I was getting away with that in retrospect, but knew I probably wouldn't be with this new one

I also hadn't even cut the fork steerer yet.. so I had like a foot of carbon steerer sitting right in front of my face

and lastly, I was wearing short-shorts running shorts.. so was as good as nude all the way up to my waistline

I picked some back corner of my neighborhood where I knew there wouldn't be any freaken traffic, especially in the middle of the work day.. my plan was to just lean progressively deeper, and just watch how close the pedal was getting... did it once, twice.... next corner, I look up JUST in time to see a car coming right at me, lean harder than I'd intended, strike my pedal HARD and go sliding across the intersection... short-shorts offering no protection, shredding up my brand new bike before I'm even done fitting it..

"BWAHAHAHA! ARE YOU OK?? HAHAHAHA" from the car. ····ing bitch.

Tony T
01-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Not checking the inside of the tire for what caused the flat.
½ mile later, another flat :crap:

eippo1
01-28-2016, 07:29 PM
I went to pull the leaf out of the the front brake while riding once...that went well. Nearly broke my finger and had a crazy fun endo, but didn't go down.

Forgot to tighten down the quick release on the brakes before heading out on a ride from Belmont Hill school and then descending via Concord Ave. Friends behind were impressed with my descending skills and then a little frightened when I jammed my shoe in my rear tire so that I could stop for the light.

Then there was the time where I let the saddle get loose and then didn't really tune into the rattle until it was too late. Fun thing is that the seatpost bolt bounced off somewhere that we couldn't find so I got to do the rest of the ride while standing.

ceolwulf
01-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Grabbed a handful of front brake with my other arm still on the clip on aerobar...

regularguy412
01-28-2016, 08:16 PM
1988. First 'real' bike. Cannondale Criterium series. Stiff as a poker to ride. It was light blue with white lettering. Bought some 'bike' shorts. These were Hind compression shorts. They looked good and the color almost precisely matched the bike. Began riding that fall. Had a few hundred miles on the bike.

Umm. No pad in those.

'Nuff said.

Mike in AR:beer:

seanile
01-28-2016, 08:27 PM
you know how people fall over when they ride clipless? well, i ride clipless often enough that when i ride with holdfast straps, i fall over because i try to "unclip" my foot from the straps. timberrrrr
did it twice in 10 minutes this fall.

oh oh oh
6 or so years ago, decided to pretend i could ride bmx my first time on a 29er. tried to transfer over some stairs to a ramp. big wheels make that a fair bit more difficult to control. too much speed and the front wheel landed on the grass, slipped out immediately and i headbutted the ground. three piece helmet and was back on my feet and riding again in no time. go me.
https://scontent.fphl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11391162_915305165200028_7154201042068532987_n.jpg ?oh=ae4bf9546853535eb30f2edfc35a22a5&oe=56FC0394

ctcyclistbob
01-28-2016, 09:04 PM
- rolled down a slight downhill in a park, looking around at the scenery, and ridden over a speedbump
- come around a curve and ridden right into a closed road gate
- put on a new chain too short because I only checked on small ring
- also got my hand stuck between seat tube and tire trying to brush off tire
- fallen off rollers because I couldn't unclip
- tried to jump a curb, MTB fork compressed, landed on my face

zmudshark
01-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Once, and only once, I forgot to fully tighten the top (expander) bolt on a quill stem. Test ride did not last long.

parris
01-28-2016, 09:19 PM
as a teenager following a buddy through back yards on our bmx bikes. He hit this jump and ducked his head very low. Me wanting to catch a bunch of air did just that... till I got taken off my bike by the unseen wire clothesline that caught me right across the bridge of the nose. I carry the scar along the side of my nose where a part of frayed wire took a chunk of skin off down to the bone. Good times...

Peter B
01-28-2016, 09:44 PM
followed drmojo on a fixed gear from davis, ca to blanding, ut...that crazy mofo continued on to boston, ma.

d_douglas
01-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Once, and only once, I forgot to fully tighten the top (expander) bolt on a quill stem. Test ride did not last long.

Make that two of us. I crashed in front of a rather attractive woman. It was mortifying and I pretended it was some mysterious mechanical failure rather than my own stupidity.

I also once rode away from bike racks at my office and clipped the drops on a steel bollard, which brought me slowly down on said steel post. No cracked ribs, but a broken finger as a take-away :). I got up, adjusted the brake (whacked out of alignment, and then rolled away, squeezing the brake lever to confirm that it worked. This also confirmed that I had a broken finger as I felt the bone crack at that time - verrryyyy painful.

I consider myself an experienced and pretty skilled cyclist, so these things are what always brings us back to earth - those embarrassing moments in life.

CaptStash
01-28-2016, 10:42 PM
I may or may not have gotten my fingers stuck between the rear tire and the seat tube (39 cm stays, on my first race bike, in the mid 80s), locking up the rear tire, skidding to a stop from about 20-25 mph, toppled over onto said hand, and then I had to move the wheel backwards with my other hand until I could get to the double toe straps to get my feet out of the pedals.

This may or may not have happened twice.

The other thing is whenever I fool around on a bike I inevitably do a bike throw (like for a finish line, not like tossing a person as far as possible). One day I did something to my bike, some mod, and I took the bike out for a test spin, on sneakers. I did a bike throw, because, very good form, butt way out over the rear tire.

I had Aerolite pedals, which are basically round sleeves that spin around the axle. Aerolites and Vans means your feet slip right off the pedals.

I landed with my crotch on the rear tire and because I was going forward everything got jammed into the rear brake. I had to walk the bike back a step or so in order to get the rear wheel to back up.

I never did that again.

OMG I am laughing and crying. That must have HURT!

CaptStash....

rustychisel
01-28-2016, 10:47 PM
Keep going. You list 'em, I've probably done 'em.

Pre BMX days crashing a 20 incher into the back fence trying to be Evel Knievel?
Check.

Fallen into rose bush with toestraps cinched tight? In front of my mate's mother?
Check

Did a mono on a skid kid bike and wondered why the front wheel was rolling down the street alongside me?
Check

Rode home from Scout meeting with no lights and thought 'no hands on a dark backstreet will be cool'?
Check [of course it wasn't, as I realised when I endo'd the partially filled in ditch excavated across the middle of the road]

summilux
01-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Biopace chainrings.
Tiagra.
I ride Campy now.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2016, 07:46 AM
Done that, but what I hate are the mechanics, who cut the brake cable too short and then put on the crimp cap, which means there is no adjustment for the cable, other than replacing it.

Lighter and more aero:D

oldpotatoe
01-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Reached down while riding to tighten my front QR, hand got stuck between spokes and fork, over the handlebars I went. Landed right on top of my head..killed the fork, wheel(busted out like a dozen spokes)..still have the frame(Ciocc)...guy behind me stopped to help, said I looked like a cartoon character, top of head, bike hooked to me, one arm out..

Steve D
01-29-2016, 08:19 AM
While riding, I noticed that my bar plug had started to work its way loose. Gave it a good whack with the palm of my hand to re-seat it. That didn't end well...

echelon_john
01-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Rode down a ski slope on my road bike. We were doing hill repeats at Blue Hills outside Boston, and I bet my buddy that if I rode down the ski slope from the top and he rode down the access road, I'd win. I won. Boy, that was stupid.

sandyrs
01-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Rode down a ski slope on my road bike. We were doing hill repeats at Blue Hills outside Boston, and I bet my buddy that if I rode down the ski slope from the top and he rode down the access road, I'd win. I won. Boy, that was stupid.

Whoa. What possessed you to ride down that? The road itself is basically a ski slope haha

zap
01-29-2016, 08:32 AM
First season of racing. Looking down (why I don't remember) during a crit in the middle of a sweeping turn and quickly hit the curb. Landed on the concrete sidewalk.

echelon_john
01-29-2016, 08:52 AM
I was 17. Isn't that enough? ; )

The ironic part is that, the same day, riding home from Blue Hills, we were screwing around on the road and I stood up, dropped my chain, and went down hard on my hip. I remember this because I went to a concert with my girlfriend that night and the hematoma swelled up to the size of a grapefruit and I wound up at the ER at Mass General. Ah, youth!

Other stupid things:
- Drunk backyard crit with Suntour "Beartrap" pedals...slipped, and took about 4 long, stringy chunks of flesh off my right shin. Had to actually clip them off my leg at the top where they were still attached.

- Converted a Ross Mt Whitney MTB to aerobars and front brake only, then tried to ride it in the woods. I think I was about 15 for that one. Why? I have no idea.

- There was a place in Wompatuck SP in Hingham, MA where a road went into a pond and came out the other side. We took great pleasure in riding through it; the water was probably 2' deep. Didn't think too much about hub or BB maintenance back then.

I'm sure I can think of more...plenty of silliness to go around.

Whoa. What possessed you to ride down that? The road itself is basically a ski slope haha

bking
01-29-2016, 08:55 AM
five flats in a century ride, same tire--my wife was kind enough to go buy tubes and bring them to me. third time i pulled the tire off the rim, went over it with a fine tooth comb. lent the wheels, nice set of zipp 303's to a friend to use in a race--he had three flats. this time I inspected the rim completely, and found the tape over one spoke hole had folded and exposed the hole. Who ever looks at the rim to find the cause of a flat?

Michael Maddox
01-29-2016, 08:56 AM
I remember back when I used to ride with caged pedal clips, how I was strapped in too tight and couldn't get out of them at the stop sign. Falling over at the stop sign was very embarrassing, since there was an old general store with country bumpkins sitting out on the front porch guffawing at me.

This is a rite of passage. One foot clipped in at the start line, then falling over toward the clipped-in foot and taking out the entire line, THAT'S another one.

I may have not seen the small washer in the end of a Power-Torque Athena crankset, and broken the bearing puller while removing the crank. In my defense, neither did my mechanic, and he did the same thing.

Grease makes this tiny washer stick in place, and it's almost invisible.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2016, 08:57 AM
This is a rite of passage. One foot clipped in at the start line, then falling over toward the clipped-in foot and taking out the entire line, THAT'S another one.

I may have not seen the small washer in the end of a Power-Torque Athena crankset, and broken the bearing puller while removing the crank. In my defense, neither did my mechanic, and he did the same thing.

Grease makes this tiny washer stick in place, and it's almost invisible.

Gee, I've never done that...:D

CPP
01-29-2016, 08:57 AM
I slowly passed a 10 car line up stopped at a road work red light, milking my cool ,bike guy/ pro wannabe position on the bike. I got to the head of the line and not wanting to unclip, I eyed one of those huge, orange road work cones.

My really cool intention was to gently use the cone for support while I waited for the light to change. What I forgot to mention and for that matter, consider ,was that at that time it was about 90 degrees outside!

I gently placed my hand on the big, orange, sturdy cone and it collapsed like a house of cards! I went down like a brick wall, much to the amusement of the people in their cars!
So much for being cool!

El Chaba
01-29-2016, 09:04 AM

You're all good....I met one of my best (cycling) friends more than 35 years ago when he was sitting on the roadside patching a tubular...When I came upon him he had already extracted the tube, applied the patch and was stitching up the wound....

Tickdoc
01-29-2016, 09:10 AM
exploring new roads...saw a hill in the distance...found out it was gravel and pretty steep...six months out following knee surgery....what could go wrong?

Lewis Moon
01-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Cinelli M71 pedals. It was as bad as you could imagine.

Lewis Moon
01-29-2016, 09:16 AM
You're all good....I met one of my best (cycling) friends more than 35 years ago when he was sitting on the roadside patching a tubular...When I came upon him he had already extracted the tube, applied the patch and was stitching up the wound....

I used to do this all the time. Only carried a single spare so the second flat meant a patch.

batman1425
01-29-2016, 09:17 AM
A few good ones:

First race ever. Had the bright idea to increased the tension in my pedals the night before - I don't want to unclip from the massive power I'm gonna put out tomorrow right? Roll up to registration, can't unclip because of the now crazy high tension, fall over in front of table. Cute gal at the table leans over the edge, looks down at me and says "Cat 5?" :crap:

Getting ready to warm up at a crit - start pumping up the tires and shear the valve stem off the rear. The stems on all my spares were 10mm short. Race day over.

Had a right shifter self destruct 15 hilly miles from home. Rode back in a 2 speed (big ring/little ring). Took an atypical route home to cut a few big climbs off, hit a seam in the road and low speed crashed. Not a good day on the bike.

Went out for an "easy" 2.5 hours with a friend cat 1. I pulled the pin 3.5hr into this death march when we were still 12 miles from home. Having prepped for 2.5, I was out of food and water, bonking hard, and forgotten money at home. It took me over an hour to ride those 12 miles, during which I contemplated each of the following - asking a stranger for food/money to buy food, eating something out of a garbage can, drinking from a disgusting pond. When I finally got back I stood in front of my pantry still in my kit, shoes, and helmet, stuffing my face. I now have a $10 rolled up in the seat post of my bikes.

Wed night cross practice. Lost focus while deep in the pain cave and missed the setup for a fast off camber turn on an asphalt path covered in gravel. Went down and first thought was "protect the new $200 helmet you just bought". Slid a good 50 feet on my knee, hip, elbow and palm, removing most of the skin in those areas. Hand was particularly bad, down to muscle for about 1/3 of my palm. Kept my helmet off the ground though.:D Couldn't get a hold of my wife - she was at the gym. So I bent the der hanger back in to place, put it in an easy gear and slogged the 5 miles home one handed, bleeding all over myself and the bike. The Wife (med student at the time) put me back together that night. I wear gloves when I ride now.

druptight
01-29-2016, 09:58 AM
These are awesome.

I've done a few of the previously mentioned, although thankfully without terrible results thus far:

Tried to clean leaves out of brakes, finger bounced off spoke and I immediately realized how lucky I was it bounced off and didn't go through sending me flying
I've done the noticing bar end plug was not all the way in and smacked it while riding, sending me swerving, but thankfully didn't hit the dirt
Stopped mid ride, miles away from home to move seatpost and somehow mid-ride brain farted lefty loosy, righty tighty and sheared off my campy seatbinder bolt. Had to ride a few miles on buys roads to find my way to the nearest bike shop with the seat bottomed out and spinning side to side/stand up. They of course didn't have a replacement but managed to rig up something with a quick release that got me home

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 10:04 AM
I remember I rode 100 miles on a particularly hot day in August. I came back with a powerful thirst, but I didn't want water or a soda. I wanted a juice drink. The only thing in the refrigerator was a half gallon of unopened prune juice. Without even batting an eye, I downed half of the bottle. Bad move.

Repack Rider
01-29-2016, 10:54 AM
Brushing the top of my front tire after riding through some broken glass, pressed too hard, jammed my hand between the tire and the fork crown, locking the front wheel and going OTB.

MesiJezi
01-29-2016, 11:03 AM
I love reading this kind of stuff...

-Wore underwear under the first pair of bike shorts I owned. Wore a pair of swim trunks over them because I was embarrassed. :cool:

-Forgot to remove the fixing screw for the bottom bracket cable guide while trying to remove the bottom bracket.

-Wore garden gloves in my first ever road race.

benb
01-29-2016, 11:08 AM
I have done the "cut the cable with the housing thing once.

My best contribution to this thread would have to be this though:

- Went on a winter group ride with my fixie... coming down a big ass hill (the water tower hill in Arlington, MA) at very high cadence my chain jumped off the cog and wrapped around the hub, locking the rear wheel.

That was a major major butt pucker but I saved it, skidding down from >20 mph without crashing.

The whole team was pretty pale faced about that. Luckily our formation must not have been that tight.

You better believe I am super super super vigilant about chain tension if I ever ride a fixie these days.

harlond
01-29-2016, 11:41 AM
When I was about 20 in college, I rode my bike (with toe clips) to a keg party. Having partaken eagerly during the party, I went to ride home. Trying to get in the toe clips, I fell over. Got back up, got in, and rode to a fried chicken joint, where I bought chicken and rode home without further incident. Next day I went to my bike and found that the handlebars were pointed 30 degrees off line from the front wheel.

That's more stupid than silly.

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 11:49 AM
I love reading this kind of stuff...

-Wore underwear under the first pair of bike shorts I owned. Wore a pair of swim trunks over them because I was embarrassed. :cool:

-Forgot to remove the fixing screw for the bottom bracket cable guide while trying to remove the bottom bracket.

-Wore garden gloves in my first ever road race.

I assume you mean long handle underwear because who is going to know if you have underwear on under your bike shorts? Heck, I always wear underwear under mine. It's one way to keep the inside of your bike shorts clean.

thwart
01-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Heck, I always wear underwear under mine. It's one way to keep the inside of your bike shorts clean.

Ha! :D My wife's argument exactly.

Chafed a bit lately? :eek:

Maybe if you keep the rides under an hour... or somehow avoid sweating...

Dead Man
01-29-2016, 12:03 PM
You keep your bib shorts clean by WASHING them..

I can't imagine wearing underwear under my bike shorts. Exfoliating, to say the least, I am sure

Timdog
01-29-2016, 12:04 PM
I once wore my Bike shorts inside out. The funniest part was that my riding partner didn't notice it until 15 or so miles into our 30 mile ride.
On a positive note I discovered I kind of liked not being able to slide around on the saddle. Pearl Izumi pad stuck like Velcro!
Tim

Dead Man
01-29-2016, 12:12 PM
I once wore my Bike shorts inside out. The funniest part was that my riding partner didn't notice it until 15 or so miles into our 30 mile ride.
On a positive note I discovered I kind of liked not being able to slide around on the saddle. Pearl Izumi pad stuck like Velcro!
Tim

I actually ArmorAll my saddle, for slip... I think it reduces chafing, and makes it easier to slide into the sweet spot

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 12:42 PM

I can't imagine wearing underwear under my bike shorts. Exfoliating, to say the least, I am sure

It gives you that extra layer in case you crash, but I guess you'd rather leave half your skin on the road. To each his own.

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Ha! :D My wife's argument exactly.

Chafed a bit lately? :eek:

Maybe if you keep the rides under an hour... or somehow avoid sweating...

That's what they make vaseline for. Yeah, I get chafing, but I know a girl who really got chafed on a ride across America. It was so bad, she had to ride in the truck for a couple of days until she healed. Maybe she wore underwear, too, but I never asked her. She was right forthcoming on her group e-mails, though. I wrote back TMI.

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 12:46 PM
I actually ArmorAll my saddle, for slip... I think it reduces chafing, and makes it easier to slide into the sweet spot

So you have a hole in your saddle.;)

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 12:48 PM

I actually wear underwear, bike shorts, and bib tights in winter. Keeps everything warm and working.

MesiJezi
01-29-2016, 12:48 PM
I assume you mean long handle underwear because who is going to know if you have underwear on under your bike shorts? Heck, I always wear underwear under mine. It's one way to keep the inside of your bike shorts clean.

No, it was like this:

Body
----------------
Synthetic boxers
bike shorts
Swim trunks
----------------
Environment

It felt so good when I finally got over myself and started riding in just bibs. :D

Another: Used to turn on my garmin and record rides even under a mile. I don't use a garmin anymore...

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 12:56 PM
No, it was like this:

Body
----------------
Synthetic boxers
bike shorts
Swim trunks
----------------
Environment

It felt so good when I finally got over myself and started riding in just bibs. :D

Another: Used to turn on my garmin and record rides even under a mile. I don't use a garmin anymore...

Ah trunks, reminds me of an old Groucho Marx line in one of his old movies, "A Night in Casablanca."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBCCS3guxOY

Dead Man
01-29-2016, 01:11 PM
It gives you that extra layer in case you crash, but I guess you'd rather leave half your skin on the road. To each his own.

I don't know a single person who wears anything under or over their bib shorts.. you say that like it's common or something

Crashes happen, yea.. if you ride aggressively and/or race. But I'll take some road rash once or twice a year for sake of not being comfortable or looking retarded ALL year

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 01:13 PM
I don't know a single person who wears anything under or over their bib shorts.. you say that like it's common or something

Crashes happen, yea.. if you ride aggressively and/or race. But I'll take some road rash once or twice a year for sake of not being comfortable or looking retarded ALL year

You need to listen to what Groucho says in the video I posted. If you wear your bike shorts, nobody will know what you have on or don't under them.

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 01:20 PM

So you check with all your riding buddies what they are wearing under their shorts before each ride? That's not something I ever cared to ask anyone? TMI

Cicli
01-29-2016, 01:21 PM
I actually wear underwear, bike shorts, and bib tights in winter. Keeps everything warm and working.

To each their own I guess.

Seramount
01-29-2016, 01:27 PM
the only riders that should use underwear are the ones with tissue-thin shorts...

can't really imagine doing it under any circumstances tho.

seems like a total noob move.

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 01:29 PM
the only riders that should use underwear are the ones with tissue-thin shorts...

can't really imagine doing it under any circumstances tho.

seems like a total noob move.

I guess I've been a noob ever since 1988. I do know of a female radiologist, who mentioned that she would never bike without underwear on under her tights.

Dead Man
01-29-2016, 01:33 PM
So you check with all your riding buddies what they are wearing under their shorts before each ride? That's not something I ever cared to ask anyone? TMI

When you spend a lot of time with guys, you know what's going on. I've never seen a panty line, have seen my boys change into or out of their bibs a hundred times, and discussions about shammy cream, saddle sores, saddle comfort, and shammy preference never involve underwear.... so yea, I'm pretty doggon confident.

Cicli
01-29-2016, 01:39 PM
I guess I've been a noob ever since 1988. I do know of a female radiologist, who mentioned that she would never bike without underwear on under his tights.

Cyclists dont wear underwear under their bibs.
They just dont.
I have been at this at least as long as the late 80's and never seen it done. Even with a real leather chamois.

jemoryl
01-29-2016, 01:50 PM

Back in the '70s a friend had just finished building up a new frame with really nice components (Campy Record, IIRC) and we went out for the inaugural ride. About 30 miles in, strapped in, we were on a banked curve on a quiet country road, going slower and slower, discussing if we should push on or head back. At some point my friend was going so slow, he lost his balance and went over. Somehow, not wanting to damage his new baby, he wound up directly on his back, with the bike pointing upwards, still clipped in. Too bad phones with cameras were not yet invented!

ptourkin
01-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Cyclists dont wear underwear under their bibs.
They just dont.
I have been at this at least as long as the late 80's and never seen it done. Even with a real leather chamois.

Nope.

OtayBW
01-29-2016, 02:26 PM
I do know of a female radiologist, who mentioned that she would never bike without underwear on under his tights.I am still processing this statement....will report back later.

bikingshearer
01-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Fun thread. I've come close to doing several spit-takes on my keyboard, and my co-workers are wondering what the hell I'm looking at.

I can't count the number of times I have finished installing a new or freshly cleaned chain and realized I didn't run it through the cage and/or pulleys right. Makes me want to :crap: every time.

Early in my misspent cycling life, meaning 1973 or 1974, a friend made a literal barn find of what was eventually identified as a 1961 Bianchi Competizione. It was too big for him, so I got it. Of course, I stripped off all the old parts (including a Campy Gran Sport RD), letting them disappear into the ether never to be seen again. I also stripped off the original paint, and gave it a rattle-can paint job. I still have the frame, which has since been resprayed by Ed Litton to more or less the original color and refitted with more or less period correct part, all at substantial expense. My only defense is that I was 16 or 17, which means I was stupid by definition.

As far as riding mishaps, my best ended up being a near miss rather than the all-out disaster it could have been. As a teenager, I had delusions of being a racer. My club at the time (G.S. Amador - very cool looking jerseys) had as a member one Jack Curtain, who not many years before had been the NorCal/Nevada track sprint champ. Serious tree-trunk thighs, serious bike handling skills, serious speed, serious willingness to work over noobs again and again and again until they learned. Anyway, he and I were the only ones who showed up for a twilight training session at our standard criterium course. We were riding two abreast, me on the left, Jack on the right. We weren't at race speed, but we weren't exactly lolligagging, either.

The course had a shorter option and a longer one, and we were approaching the place where they split. I, on the left, thought we were turning right. Jack, on the right, thought we were going straight. I leaned into the turn - and I was committed - but Jack did not. :eek: For a split second, my life flashed before my eyes. :help:

Then, a meaty hand shot out, caught me on the right shoulder and held me up until I could get my balance back. Probably the single most impressive piece of bike handling I have personally witnessed. I thanked him, we finished our training ride, and I went home and washed my shorts.

By the way, I wasn't wearing undies under the shorts, but after that, I would have had to wash the shorts, undies or no.

Repack Rider
01-29-2016, 02:55 PM
I don't know a single person who wears anything under or over their bib shorts.. you say that like it's common or something.

I wear bibs for mountain biking, with a pair of cargo shorts over them. More rugged material for sitting next to the trail, lots of pockets. I wear suspenders under my jersey to keep the crotch from sagging and catching the saddle.

druptight
01-29-2016, 03:00 PM
I am still processing this statement....will report back later.

Agreed. It's rather confusing.

batman1425
01-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Only been rinding for 10 year, but I've never encountered a teammate or riding friend that wore underwear under bibs. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it would be to do that for more than a 5 mile saunter for coffee.

Tickdoc
01-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Stupidest thing I've done yet. Went to lbs to look at a mountain bike for my son. Took my bike so we could test ride together. We go out for about ten minutes so he can fully fall in love with a showroom bike. We come back, and as we walk therough the store, my pedal clips a display bike and two eclectic bikes smash into each other, scratching the paint of one of them.

They were over $6k each!
Who pays that for a battery powered bike?

Needless to say, I bought him the mountain bike.

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Only been rinding for 10 year, but I've never encountered a teammate or riding friend that wore underwear under bibs. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it would be to do that for more than a 5 mile saunter for coffee.

How do you know that? Do you all gather together and check each other's shorts?

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 04:05 PM
When you spend a lot of time with guys, you know what's going on. I've never seen a panty line, have seen my boys change into or out of their bibs a hundred times, and discussions about shammy cream, saddle sores, saddle comfort, and shammy preference never involve underwear.... so yea, I'm pretty doggon confident.

I am glad to have met an eggspurt on the subject.:help:

Cicli
01-29-2016, 04:06 PM

You dont listen to anyones expierence than your own do you?
I am starting a poll here.

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 04:11 PM

So what you should do is conduct a poll on your next ride and ask what everyone is wearing under their shorts. Let's see if you're asked to ride anywhere with them again.

Dead Man
01-29-2016, 04:22 PM
So what you should do is conduct a poll on your next ride and ask what everyone is wearing under their shorts. Let's see if you're asked to ride anywhere with them again.

Your level of initiation, familiarity, and conformity to road cycling sub-culture is extremely thin... You're obviously not an ingroup member, yet are trying to act like you are.

Did you get kicked off your favorite gun forum or something....?

Why are you here?

ptourkin
01-29-2016, 04:22 PM

Who do you ride with, if anyone? I don't know anyone in 2016 who would blink an eye if I asked. I'm also not afraid of anything I might see in a changing area at a race. Why so insecure?

Cicli
01-29-2016, 04:24 PM

Listen pal, I dont check anyones shorts but mine and the wifes so dont get your hopes up.
Poll, as in asking here.

batman1425
01-29-2016, 04:26 PM

Rode my bike competitively in college and grad school. Shared enough hotel rooms with my teammates to know that all the guys I raced with, which over 8 years probably totals over a 100 different people, didn't wear underwear under bibs.

Pretty much every bike race you go to, you will end up seeing 1 to 50 people changing out of their kit before driving home. The "Towel Dance" isn't something that would happen very frequently if you were wearing something underneath your bibs.

It is also pretty easy to spot a seam under cycling kit. The hems of my longer base layer tops are visible through my shorts and they are pretty thin. Anything resembling normal undergarments would EASLY be visible.

And its called Chamois Cream. Not Tighty Whitie Cream.

OtayBW
01-29-2016, 04:44 PM
OK - I think we have a motion on the floor:

** That we conduct a poll to determine if anyone wears anything under their shorts**, or was it
** That we conduct a poll to determine if PFSLABD listens to anyone's experience other than his own.**

I'm not sure, but in any event, at least the former is binary; the latter may considerably more complex. ;)

Cicli
01-29-2016, 04:49 PM
OK - I think we have a motion on the floor:

** That we conduct a poll to determine if anyone wears anything under their shorts**, or was it
** That we conduct a poll to determine if PFSLABD listens to anyone's experience other than his own.**

I'm not sure, but in any event, at least the former is binary; the latter may considerably more complex. ;)

Just on the skivvie question.
The other is a given.

purpurite
01-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Trolls are trolling hard in here now. Geesh.

While riding, I noticed that my bar plug had started to work its way loose. Gave it a good whack with the palm of my hand to re-seat it. That didn't end well...

In this whole thread, this made me snort. Good stuff.

I've done plenty of stupid things on a bike. Like when I was 13, had friends talk me into hitting a dirt jump on some trail somewhere. Turns out it was lipped, and I went straight up, then straight down, casing the crown of the jump, and subsequently knocking the wind out of my whole body. Didn't hit anything like that without inspecting it ever again.

I had a MTB ride end in a paceline of 6 trying to hurry back to the parking trailhead on the road before it got too dark, when a 12-point massive buck lurched out of the forest preserve right at us at full speed, turned and ran along side of us for about 200 feet. None of us stopped, veered off or flinched (I'm not sure how). At the trail head, we all stood there dumbfounded and marveled at how we would have all been taken out had this big boy decided to make a sudden left turn into the paceline. Scared the bejeebus out of me.

MesiJezi
01-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Just on the skivvie question.
The other is a given.

I imagine the results would differ depending on the anonymity of the responses.

PFSLABD
01-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Who do you ride with, if anyone? I don't know anyone in 2016 who would blink an eye if I asked. I'm also not afraid of anything I might see in a changing area at a race. Why so insecure?

I ride with real men on my rides. Maybe you girly men have different rules.:help:

Are your shorts too tight?

OtayBW
01-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Good grief................

Moving along, I recall years (decades, actually) ago pedaling home about half-lit one night after the evening shift where I was working intentionally weaving through these progressivly deeper S-curves to see how far I could lean the bike. I was going pretty good for a while until BLAM! Face plant on Main St. Never forget that...

F150
01-29-2016, 08:26 PM
Outside Riverside, WY, summer of '87, riding into a light headwind and had a big sneeze with a chew in. Face peppered with Kodiak long cut. Buddy got a big laugh.

Training for that ride, leisurely ride in Percy Warner Park 2 abreast, Camaro approaching. Jumped on the pedal to get single file, skipped a gear, went the next 20 ft with the flat bar firmly planted in my hip crease, weave left, then right, then left, all the while my nose bouncing off the front knobby before landing on the crown of my head. Blondes in Camaro most amused.

All of this done in wool shorts with leather chamois...no underwear.

CampyorBust
01-29-2016, 11:14 PM
I endoed into a cactus once yes into a phucking cactus! Deeeeeep into it, like all up in that ish. Got pictures somewhere. I did not cry that time (much older now) I laughed hysterically in disbelief of my predicament.

My oh my what is happening down below? is that what you call a gangbang? I am aghast.

And no to the undies, there are many fredable things that are ok. But (as long as we are going tropic thunder up in this B I cant resist) undies well I always thought that was like ummm Simple Jack territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

aramis
01-29-2016, 11:41 PM
I went on the normal weekly group ride last week and I guess in the daze/rush to get ready I left my boxer briefs (same type of material as bike shorts) on under my 1 piece suit (w/pockets). Actually didn't even notice until I got home and changed. The ride was a three hours at a good pace. No chaffing or anything.

I say if someone wants to wear undies underneath go for it. Not my thing but I don't see it as being harmful.

PFSLABD
01-30-2016, 04:59 AM
Your level of initiation, familiarity, and conformity to road cycling sub-culture is extremely thin... You're obviously not an ingroup member, yet are trying to act like you are.

Did you get kicked off your favorite gun forum or something....?

Why are you here?

I read somewhere that this forum consisted of a close-knit group of like-minded folks, who got along with each other quite well, yet, I don't see that with a certain group here. Where is the love that I was told existed here?:help:

Cicli
01-30-2016, 05:02 AM
I read somewhere that this forum consisted of a close-knit group of like-minded folks, who got along with each other quite well, yet, I don't see that with a certain group here. Where is the love that I was told existed here?:help:

This place is awesome until someone pewps in the jacuzzi.

Have a good day.

PFSLABD
01-30-2016, 05:07 AM
This place is awesome until someone pewps in the jacuzzi.

Have a good day.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q625/blk350on20s/g1338964568942672395.jpg

ptourkin
01-30-2016, 07:49 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/df/df3612486fb50970411774f991b6baec9fb7cca2e144180b88 5f03fba7b07217.jpg

Rapha Lightweight Pro Bib chamois is black. I left the house at 0430 for a training double. The sun came out as I was climbing Poway Pomerado Highway toward Palomar and I finally noticed that my bibs were inside out. Sat on the guard rail and flipped them over (sans underwear.)

I've had my bibs cut off by EMTs. At no point did I care that I wasn't wearing anything underneath, however I was pissed because they were S5s.

PFSLABD
01-30-2016, 02:18 PM
You guys sure are anal about not wearing any underwear. I bet you go commando when you wear your suit pants. How do you like the dress pants seam? Does it split right down the middle?

Ronsonic
01-30-2016, 08:36 PM

Hey, I did that .... once.

makoti
01-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Rapha Lightweight Pro Bib chamois is black. I left the house at 0430 for a training double. The sun came out as I was climbing Poway Pomerado Highway toward Palomar and I finally noticed that my bibs were inside out.

A friend of mine tells me he did this. Twice.

makoti
01-30-2016, 09:34 PM

Likewise, never try to tighten your front wheel skewer while moving. Don't ask me how I know.

Ronsonic
01-30-2016, 09:58 PM
Riding home, dark, rolling through the parking lot, sitting up, drinking, no hands, not looking, forgot the speed bumps. Cracked a vertebra in the fall.

"Training ride" going to do about 60 hard miles. After 20 I'm suffering. Not just suffering, but slow and suffering. Am I getting sick? Do I just suck this bad? Or maybe it's just the rear wheel in cockeyed and the tire dragging against the stay.

Reinstalled a Shimano chain by pushing the original pin back in, instead of using their special pin. Cost me a rear der and a hanger.

There's plenty more that my brain may have blocked out.