PDA

View Full Version : Silver campy hubs!

druptight
01-28-2016, 02:41 PM
For my upcoming silver build I was on the hunt for a pair of "more affordable" silver campy hubs to build up a wheelset. After some ebay searching I found a guy selling some campy hubs built up to a set of rims that had cracks in the eyelets of the open pro rims which he was going to ship for $50 on top of the $170 asking price.

I shot him a note asking if he'd be interested in doing a deal outside the 'bay and also if he'd be willing to cut the rims off and just send me the hubs. He agreed, and they just showed up today. Wasn't sure if I was going to wind up with some crappy cartridge bearing era campy hubs, but lo and behold here's what showed up today:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7793434/Photo%20Jan%2028%2C%203%2031%2035%20PM%20(1).jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7793434/Photo%20Jan%2028%2C%203%2031%2046%20PM%20(1).jpg

From what I've read the Daytona hubs are 99% record hubs, and these have barely a scratch on them! Only bummer is only the rear skewer appears to be original, front has a different lever and a plastic nut. Now I just need to figure out what to build them up to - thinking some TB14 hubs...

DrSpoke
01-28-2016, 02:52 PM
I bought a Serotta Concours back in '02 with a full Daytona group including hubs/wheels. I recently sold the bike but transferred the group over to a Cinelli Supercorsa. I've not done anything to the hubs and they roll great. I probably shouldn't be too proud as I do feel guilty for not doing more maintenance over the years. Maybe this year.

The front skewer you have is original and the rear is not.

druptight
01-28-2016, 02:55 PM
I bought a Serotta Concours back in '02 with a full Daytona group including hubs/wheels. I recently sold the bike but transferred the group over to a Cinelli Supercorsa. I've not done anything to the hubs and they roll great. I probably shouldn't be too proud as I do feel guilty for not doing more maintenance over the years. Maybe this year.

The front skewer you have is original and the rear is not.

Good skewer information. I think I'll try to find another like the rear vs. another like the front. The plastic screw cap doesn't look nearly as nice as the shiny metal one! Maybe someone out there will want to trade.

bobdenver1961
01-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Funny! I bought that exact wheelset on ebay about a month ago. When I got them noticed the cracks in the rear wheel. I sent them back. Those Daytona hubs did seem really nice for the day that I owned them.

Bob

druptight
01-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Funny! I bought that exact wheelset on ebay about a month ago. When I got them noticed the cracks in the rear wheel. I sent them back. Those Daytona hubs did seem really nice for the day that I owned them.

Bob

That is funny! They shipped from your neck of the woods.

Look585
01-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Front is the original skewer for Daytona hubs. Rear looks like an older generation.

Be sure to open them up and check the cones and races. If there is any pitting, replace before riding. The cones are cheap ($10/ea at Ribble) and very easy to replace. The races are more expensive and much harder to replace. I've had a few pitted cones but never a bad race.

Put in new bearings while you're at it. 5/32 balls, 15 per side, front & rear. Be careful with the resin cages, they can break. You technically don't need to use them but it is *way* easier if you do.