PDA

View Full Version : oldie but goodie: waxing chain?

eddief
01-27-2016, 06:34 PM
I did a search but did not find too much here. I tried it yesterday with small crock pot from thrift store and canning paraffin bought at hardware store. Certainly more time consuming than squirting and wiping (sorry about that phrase) but want to know if experience and science suggest that wax is actually a good to great lube. I got that damn cassette and chain super clean before soaking it in wax and still some crap came it in my nice clear cauldron.

dave thompson
01-27-2016, 06:42 PM
It works but is it worth the effort I would ask. To me, the cost of chain lube, even the high-end stuff is so small in the greater scheme of things and the convenience is so great, I vote for ease every time. Plus if I want a super-clean chain I'll remove, throw it in my ultrasonic parts cleaner then reapply the high-end stuff. Mas fácil!

eddief
01-27-2016, 07:00 PM
If you remove it, throw it in the ultrasonic, and then relube it, is there anything better about using wax compared to any other lube? Rumor has it that wax is good lube and does not suck in all crap like many off the shelf products.

What high end stuff does my aged pro mechanic use these days?

Can I afford an ultrasonic cleaner? That sounds like more fun than a crock pot.

It works but is it worth the effort I would ask. To me, the cost of chain lube, even the high-end stuff is so small in the greater scheme of things and the convenience is so great, I vote for ease every time. Plus if I want a super-clean chain I'll remove, throw it in my ultrasonic parts cleaner then reapply the high-end stuff. Mas f當il!

ceolwulf
01-27-2016, 07:07 PM
I like wax, it stays clean, and runs very quiet, for about 100km and then you have to reapply it or at least that's what I found. Maybe with a really properly degreased chain it would last longer. Haven't bothered with it lately. Although with a Wippermann quick link it's not much trouble at all. I'm just bad at remembering to turn on the crockpot. There's also Squirt lube which is basically wax in a bottle, that works pretty okay as well, although tends to build up a bit.

ultrasonic parts cleaner

I need one of those. Look around eBay, some pretty decent ones for low price, under $100 should get the job done, last time I checked anyway.

Cicli
01-27-2016, 07:11 PM
I have used Molten speed wax. It was a real pain. Worked well but was a pain. I then switched to NFS until the spendy bottle ran out. I cleaned everything real good and am going to give Squirt a shot. That said, the search "squirt lube" on fleabay turns up some interesting products. Some stuff I didnt know existed.

Chief
01-27-2016, 07:18 PM
I tried waxing 25-30 years ago and was not impressed with it. I couldn't get the wax to really stick to my clean chain and needed to rewax frequently. Yes the chain didn't pickup crap, but I wasn't convinced that the wax provided better wear protection than high quality lubes.

tuscanyswe
01-27-2016, 07:24 PM
I like wax, it stays clean, and runs very quiet, for about 100km and then you have to reapply it or at least that's what I found. Maybe with a really properly degreased chain it would last longer. Haven't bothered with it lately. Although with a Wippermann quick link it's not much trouble at all. I'm just bad at remembering to turn on the crockpot. There's also Squirt lube which is basically wax in a bottle, that works pretty okay as well, although tends to build up a bit.

I need one of those. Look around eBay, some pretty decent ones for low price, under $100 should get the job done, last time I checked anyway.

Is that a typo or do you really wax your chain every other ride or so?

ceolwulf
01-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Is that a typo or do you really wax your chain every other ride or so?

Yeah it really didn't last long at all. It puzzles me because I have heard of people getting 500km and more out of a wax application. It's possible I never have gotten all the oil off the chain. I think that's pretty important. That is where the ultrasonic cleaner would be really handy. Have also seen it recommended to boil the chain in water and a lot of dish soap.

Seramount
01-27-2016, 09:24 PM
old, but definitely NOT good....

used to do the paraffin routine in the late 70s...an enormous PITA for minimal results.

soaking the chain in solvent, washing in hot soapy water, drying in an oven, dipping in wax...and then you get to do it all over again in almost no time.

compare that to my current lube which lasts about 750 mi per each 3 minute application.

wax, toe clips, and cut-off levis will all stay in the past for me...

Louis
01-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Way too much trouble.

spartanKid
01-27-2016, 09:37 PM
I have heard of people using waxed chains for high profile events for which they want to maximize performance/decrease friction losses, big races, TTs, A races, etc. but not using them for every day riding.

firerescuefin
01-27-2016, 09:38 PM
I did a search but did not find too much here. I tried it yesterday with small crock pot from thrift store and canning paraffin bought at hardware store. Certainly more time consuming than squirting and wiping (sorry about that phrase) but want to know if experience and science suggest that wax is actually a good to great lube. I got that damn cassette and chain super clean before soaking it in wax and still some crap came it in my nice clear cauldron.

#Retired :beer:

dave thompson
01-27-2016, 10:04 PM
If you remove it, throw it in the ultrasonic, and then relube it, is there anything better about using wax compared to any other lube? Rumor has it that wax is good lube and does not suck in all crap like many off the shelf products.

I use the ultrasonic only occasionally, not on a regular basis. I use NFS both here in Mexico and back in the states. I like its small quantity used per application, longevity and quiet drive train. I quickly wipe the chain after every ride and reapply the NFS sparingly every few hundred miles.

Buy a used ultrasonic, they're really handy to have around. You can clean chains, cassettes, wedding rings, gold nuggets. Lotsa stuff.

franswa
01-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Sounds like too much effort for not enough benefit. Chain-L is the best method I've found to date. Never had a drive train more quiet or smooth(shifting).

MikeD
01-27-2016, 10:20 PM
I tried it a long time ago. The chain stays cleaner than any lube I tried. However, it's too much effort, doesn't last long, and when it wears out the chain squeaks like crazy and you get massive chain suck. This is pure paraffin though.

Ronsonic
01-27-2016, 10:23 PM

I use a cheap Harbor Freight* ultrasonic i got for $20 years ago. Been experimenting. Either I'll U/S the chain in mineral spirits, let it dry and lube with Boeshield. Or I'll U/S with a mix of MS and Chain & Bar Lube, wipe it off thoroughly, let the spirits evaporate off and go with the oil that had soaked into the links. Not sure, which is better. **

I ride mostly off-road and dirt-road and gravel stuff so I've got more of a dirt problem than most.

* The Lifestyle Store

** Cleaned and lubed is always better - whatever we do.

parallelfish
01-27-2016, 10:46 PM
I keep paraffin wax in a pie tin atop a double boiler. It's just a matter of throwing the chain in while I wash the bike. Dirt disperses to the outside of the tin. It's easy, clean, quiet, and lasts a long time.

Have tried many of the lubes favored on this site - always come back to the wax. Just seems the easiest to me.

franswa
01-27-2016, 10:49 PM
http://www.chain-l.com/sitebuilder/images/Chain-L_bottle_object-129x459.jpg

eddief
01-27-2016, 11:13 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tech-news-friction-facts-releases-ultrafast-chain-lube-formula/

paraffin, PTFE teflon powder, pure molybdenum disulfide (MoS2)

Russian bear
01-27-2016, 11:56 PM
I've been using Wend Wax. The applicator is like a deodorant stick. Works for me, doesn't attract dirt, you do have to reapply once a week ime.

Formulasaab
01-28-2016, 06:33 AM
I've got a crock pot with a blend of paraffin and powdered graphite that I use for my track bike chain ONLY. According to Friction Facts, a similar concoction is the lowest friction chain lube they've tested. However, longevity sucks.

I don't care about longevity on my track bike since I get out to the velodrome so rarely, but when I do get out there efficiency is a high priority.

I use two other chain lubes for my other bikes...
Finish Line DRY for the cross/gravel/mountain bikes
NixFrixShun for everything else