PDA

View Full Version : Basso's name on the Spanish list

swoop
06-04-2006, 01:10 PM
I told you all a week ago that Basso was linked to the doping scandal in Spain but you all were too busy bashing Simoni. you'll see.... sucks for Basso. Maybe the italians that were booing him were right..

jasont
06-04-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm kind of a pessimist so I've always figured they were all doing it. Either they've been caught or they haven't...yet.

Sucks though. I was kind of hoping he could do the double.

swoop
06-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Saiz asked Feuntes, "are you taking it to Basso too?" Investigators conclude that the "it" is frozen blood.

From Intervui magazine (Spain).

Fat Robert
06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
bjarne riis, great motivator, expert tactitian, savior of careers

sure

he was also mr. 60%, the most jet-fueled rider of his era

Avispa
06-04-2006, 06:35 PM
...sucks for Basso. Maybe the italians that were booing him were right..

Sucks for Basso or sucks for the sport.... Anyway, could that had also been the same reason the French in 2004 were chanting: "Lancé Dopé, Lancé dopé...."

I remember, I said last year somewhere in this forum that in 2006 a lot of people were going to get busted! More so than when Lance was racing...

But the question remains, why do they let these guys stick around? Wait, I found an answer: Tony Soprano is the owner of some of these teams!

swoop
06-04-2006, 07:05 PM
i have no personal issue with doping in cycling. i see it as part of the sport... a shadow but a part of the sport none the less. i do have an issue with the holier than thou attitude about the denial of doping in sport.

atmo
06-04-2006, 07:32 PM
i have no personal issue with doping in cycling. i see it as part of the sport... a shadow but a part of the sport none the less. i do have an issue with the holier than thou attitude about the denial of doping in sport.

amen on that if you please.
the sport is inhumane atmo. anyone who examines the
itinerary of a pro cyclist and doesn't agree needs glasses.

mike p
06-04-2006, 07:42 PM
amen on that if you please.
the sport is inhumane atmo. anyone who examines the
itinerary of a pro cyclist and doesn't agree needs glasses.

Ok it's an incredably hard sport everyone agrees. But is there no pro that is clean? If there are then there being ripped off. They must find a way for everyone to either race clean or doped, dosen't matter but one or the other.

Mike

ergott
06-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Ok it's an incredably hard sport everyone agrees. But is there no pro that is clean? If there are then there being ripped off. They must find a way for everyone to either race clean or doped, dosen't matter but one or the other.

Mike

The Pro Tour sure didn't help. It puts more pressure on a team to be competative all year round. The stars get to pick their races, but the soldiers are racing a mightly long calander now.

Fixed
06-04-2006, 07:52 PM
bro it doesn't matter to me if they want to kill themselves you can't stop them . the war against drugs ?
bro a high octane race is what they want .
cheers

atmo
06-04-2006, 07:52 PM

Mike

well this is a monthly thread.
what is clean? does it mean they
race on nutrients from the local
market - or does it allow full use
pf the pharmaceutical industry right
up to the point that a product is on
the banned list? and what about folks
that race(d) and were positive for substances
that were not yet on the list but would be
within a season of the positive? delgado's
tdf win on probnecin? that activogen stuff
that postal denied ever having/using?
it's a grey area to be certain. and i'll go
on record as saying that i think they'd all
use as much as they can without getting
caught, and all probably hope the sport's
governing body (all former members of
the peloton at one level or another) doesn't
forget its roots.

mike p
06-04-2006, 08:09 PM
well this is a monthly thread.
what is clean? does it mean they
race on nutrients from the local
market - or does it allow full use
pf the pharmaceutical industry right
up to the point that a product is on
the banned list? and what about folks
that race(d) and were positive for substances
that were not yet on the list but would be
within a season of the positive? delgado's
tdf win on probnecin? that activogen stuff
that postal denied ever having/using?
it's a grey area to be certain. and i'll go
on record as saying that i think they'd all
use as much as they can without getting
caught, and all probably hope the sport's
governing body (all former members of
the peloton at one level or another) doesn't
forget its roots.

Your right and know much more about the sport than me. I don't know what's clean and what's not and when you've crossed the line. It just seems unfair to anyone trying to race clean in the pro ranks. Funny thing is the same people would propably win if everyone were clean. We need someone with the wisdom of solomon--were's munson?

Mike

atmo
06-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Your right and know much more about the sport than me. I don't know what's clean and what's not and when you've crossed the line. It just seems unfair to anyone trying to race clean in the pro ranks. Funny thing is the same people would propably win if everyone were clean. We need someone with the wisdom of solomon--were's munson?

Mike

the pro ranks is not bicycle riding as we know it.
i still think of it as "chasing the $12,000 dream",
because at the end of the day, 98% of the guys
are left with that after years of suffering through
110 starts a year (or more). whatever.

hey - are you in the northeast? pucci thinks masters
racing is a bunch of shielas. he's wrong. in all the events
i do where all categories race over similar distances,
the 45+ crowd is almost always the fastest time.
whether it's new britain, sunapee, j peak, etcetera,
life does not slow down in our age group atmo.

swoop
06-04-2006, 08:20 PM
amen on american masters racing!

mike p
06-04-2006, 08:45 PM
the pro ranks is not bicycle riding as we know it.
i still think of it as "chasing the $12,000 dream",
because at the end of the day, 98% of the guys
are left with that after years of suffering through
110 starts a year (or more). whatever.

life does not slow down in our age group atmo.

Word, it's hard--If I wasn't afraid of being busted I'd hookup the iv full of geritol.

Mike

atmo
06-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Word, it's hard--If I wasn't afraid of being busted I'd hookup the iv full of geritol.

Mike
are you here in n.e. atmo?

mike p
06-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Ithaca NY

Mike

atmo
06-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Ithaca NY

Mike

ah you must see swan's wheel alot atmo.

obtuse
06-04-2006, 09:19 PM
atmo is right....masters have a higher average speed than just about everyone. that's because they all have been racing together forever and shi'ite gets organized early and often or somethin.....nonetheless, even though you can't make fun of them for being slow; you can always make fun of them for being old.

i'm on the burrito program and by the end of the month i'll be able to ride any geriatric off my wheel.

obtuse

mike p
06-04-2006, 09:24 PM

Yes, race against him every tues. nite and some weekends. I do ok on crit with Glenn but can't keep up with him on hilly races. He's in early 50's and still a bear.

Mike

atmo
06-04-2006, 09:25 PM
atmo is right....masters have a higher average speed than just about everyone. that's because they all have been racing together forever and shi'ite gets organized early and often or somethin.....nonetheless, even though you can't make fun of them for being slow; you can always make fun of them for being old.

i'm on the burrito program and by the end of the month i'll be able to ride any geriatric off my wheel.

obtuse

let's do cox charities together. the 35+ 1/2 race atmo.

obtuse
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
let's do cox charities together. the 35+ 1/2 race atmo.

i'll check it out and see how it falls in my "program".

obtuse

Avispa
06-04-2006, 09:32 PM
....i do where all categories race over similar distances,
the 45+ crowd is almost always the fastest time. whether it's new britain, sunapee, j peak, etcetera, life does not slow down in our age group atmo.

I had a moment of glory on my ride yesterday...

As usual I am riding on my own and a younger buck in his late 20's decides to stick with me. I am minding my own business, but on a steep overpass he decides to start pushing the pace. Before I know it, we are hitting 27 mph.... I said, crap! NOT today.... I take a few pulls, he takes a few pulls. But the hammer goes on for about 5+ miles :eek:

When we are approaching the town at the end of the road, I decide to give it all I got left and he can no longer keep up when we hit 30+ . I don't see him anymore. I go my way and he goes his... No hello's no good bye's. I stop to eat a Powerbar and I go around the town and I see the fellow again. I pass by him and say hi... He responds and we begin to chat. I tell him I used to race... He asks me, "so man, why do you quit racing so [I]young? I said so young? I am going to be 46 next month!!!

He shakes his head and says, damn! Can you then tell me what was I doing wrong when we were going the other direction? I smile and say, bro.... You need to learn to spin more.... I noticed you were on a 53x13 while I was on a 53x16... ;)

atmo
06-04-2006, 09:33 PM
i'll check it out and see how it falls in my "program".

obtuse

stick it on your program and be there. take
the tags off the saddle, have a burrito, and
follow me in providence atmo.

atmo
06-04-2006, 09:34 PM
I had a moment of glory on my ride yesterday...

As usual I am riding on my own and a younger buck in his late 20's decides to stick with me. I am minding my own business, but on a steep overpass he decides to start pushing the pace. Before I know it, we are hitting 27 mph.... I said, crap! NOT today.... But the hammer goes on for about 5 miles :eek:

When we are approaching the town at the end of the road, I decide to give it all I got left and he can no longer keep up when we hit 30+ . I don't see him anymore. I go my way and he goes his... No hello's no good bye's. I stop to eat a Powerbar and I go around the town and I see the fellow again. I pass by him and say hi... He responds and we begin to chat. I tell him I used to race... He asks me, "so man, why do you quit racing so [I]young? I said so young? I am going to be 46 next month!!!

He sakes his head and says, damn! Can you then tell me what was I doing wrong when we were going the other direction? I smile and say, bro.... You need to learn to spin more.... I noticed you were on a 53x13 while I was on a 53x16... ;)

that was you?
i was just warming down after 6 hours atmo.

obtuse
06-04-2006, 09:35 PM
stick it on your program and be there. take
the tags off the saddle, have a burrito, and
follow me in providence atmo.

dude-
i have to ask my "coach" and he hates burrittos and is already pissed about that package from durango. but i'll sneak it in.

http://www.teamnerac.com/teamBio.php?id=14

obtuse

Avispa
06-04-2006, 09:35 PM
that was you?
i was just warming down after 6 hours atmo.

We do not go to the same pharmacy, atmo! :p :p

PS
I thought your age category was 45+ not 25+ :D :D

atmo
06-04-2006, 09:39 PM
We do not go to the same pharmacy, atmo! :p :p

PS
I thought your age category was 45+ not 25+ :D :D

45+ is 25+ atmo.

Lincoln
06-05-2006, 12:07 AM
<snip>It just seems unfair to anyone trying to race clean in the pro ranks. <snip>

Yes, exactly. To the apologists who think it's OK because "everyone" is doing it or because there are some drugs/methods that should be banned but aren't (yet), that is a f'ing lame excuse. Cheating is cheating and those who are caught should be banned from sport. Period. Buh, bye. Don't come back.

<snip>
Funny thing is the same people would propably win if everyone were clean. <snip>

Sadly true.

Kahuna
06-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Dang I haven't heard that name in years! If it's the same Swan who used to put war paint on his face to scare the bejeezus out of the competition.

He didn't need it. His legs did all th talking.

Cool he's still racing masters. The last time I raced against him was Empire State games in the 80's.

Yep.

weiwentg
06-05-2006, 04:32 AM
Saiz asked Feuntes, "are you taking it to Basso too?" Investigators conclude that the "it" is frozen blood.

From Intervui magazine (Spain).

as I noted in another thread, Fuentes didn't reply to Saiz' question. so far, I think this is the only mention of Basso's name. therefore I'm going to assume he's not connected to the affair ... for now.

stevep
06-05-2006, 06:12 AM
life does not slow down in our age group atmo.[/QUOTE]

nay, you misunderstood what i wrote. they race great and i have been well victimized by these guys.. i did mean that they really know each other well for many years and can anticipate actions and counter actions instantly.
clever old goats...
watch my man dmitri in any road race. he won the auburn rr last year solo from the start....won by 10 minutes... a perfect 45+. raced for the russian red team for years...is more at home on a bike than on a couch... cooks his own oatmeal before the start, refuses to eat gu or energy bars and drinks only water... old school but super strong.

bostondrunk
06-05-2006, 06:21 AM
watch my man dmitri in any road race. he won the auburn rr last year solo from the start....won by 10 minutes... .

Looks like he won by 4 minutes, not 10. Funny how things get exagerated....lol
:beer:

http://www.bikereg.com/News/Results05/20050604Auburn.asp

stevep
06-05-2006, 06:28 AM
no, this was last year or maybe the year before. look it up.
10 minutes...on the older harder course

Ray
06-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Ok it's an incredably hard sport everyone agrees. But is there no pro that is clean? If there are then there being ripped off. They must find a way for everyone to either race clean or doped, dosen't matter but one or the other.I think they have. By one definition or another, I think everyone IS doping. Some are pushing the envelope of what is legal. Others have busted right through the seal of the envelope. Still others have good enough doctors and scientists on the payroll to be able to stay a step or two ahead of the regulations and not take anything that's illegal (yet). Some call it recovery, some call it performance enhancement. Some call it doping.

You could make it legal and say that everyone can take X dose of X, Y, and Z drug/herb/oxygen tent, but the idea is that people are seeking an ADVANTAGE, not a level playing field, so those rules would be broken/pushed/avoided also. As with everything, the best and best financed teams will find the advantage, just as they do by hiring the best riders and buying/developing the best equipment.

I used to think all of this was really effed up and was ruining the sport. Now I think it's inevitable with any sport that rewards winning financially (pretty near all of them other than maybe archery and pentathlon?) and it's the only system that can work. Which, by definition, makes it the best system.

Hey, we've always paid our best gladiators well. All we ask in return is our pound of flesh. Watching pro riders climb huge mountains at super-human speeds, day after day after day - that's our pound of flesh.

Excuse me, I believe the Dauphine is coming on Cycling TV any minute now...

-Ray

atmo
06-05-2006, 08:16 AM
what a telling quote this is:
"Just like everyone, the only thing I know about all this is what I've read in the papers," Vinokourov told L'Equipe. "I also believe my director (Saiz) who says he has nothing to do with all this. He has my confidence. Manolo said he's not ready to be here at the race, but he's not going to quit. He's a fighter and it's a mentality that I like."