PDA

View Full Version : Yay mountains.

jasont
06-04-2006, 01:01 PM
I rode up the in mountains for the time on my road bike, yesterday. Since it was my first time up there on the bike, I figured I'd just go until I was done and then turn around.

At one point, on the way up, this guy passes me and asks how far up I'm going. I'm guessing he wanted to help me up the climb. I didn't want to ride with anyone so I was kind of evasive and basically said, "I don't know, until I die." It was nice of him to ask (assuming he was planning on helping me) so I hope I didn't come off like a jerk. He did end up helping me after all because I was about to quit when he passed but my pride kept me going ;-)

Anyway, for those that know Socal, I rode from Arcadia up Hwy 39 to the East Fork bridge and then turned around and rode home. I don't have a computer so I don't know how far that is. I know it's not as far up as most of you can go but I had fun and am looking forward to getting stronger and climbing higher.

BTW, I have a 12-23 8 speed cassette. It looks like I can get a 13-26 from Branford. Would that be a worthy change for climbing?

Jason E
06-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey, sounds like you had an awesome time. Cool.

A 13-26 may save your knees a little and should definitely make it easier to tick out the cadence and go further.

Keep at it, sounds like a great ride!

Ken Robb
06-04-2006, 01:13 PM
13-26 will be a big help and maybe help prevent knee problems in the future. I'd need a 27 cog at least for that climb.

jasont
06-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Jason and Ken, thanks for the info. I think I'll order one.

Yeah, I had fun. I'm looking forward to doing it again. It was hard but a good kind of hard ;-)

JasonF
06-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Hey, have you noticed the proliferation of posters named Jason + an initial?

jasont
06-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Heh, yeah. It's very confusing.

Jason E
06-04-2006, 01:28 PM
It's like those clubs that the "Herbs" attend.

Everyone that goes is named "Herb", in case you didn't get it.

Should we have a convention of Jason's? If we do, I'd like it to be in Vages so we can go to The Duece.

Jason E
06-04-2006, 01:31 PM
On a similar note, I worked at a shop years ago and we all got work shirts with the name "Pete".

People would call, ask for "Pete" and start talking only to be interupted by, "oh, you want the other Pete, hold on."

Then the next guy would do it until it got to the right guy.

It was great.

Lincoln
06-04-2006, 11:22 PM
To take this one step further OT...

I ran track in college and at the end of the smaller meets we would gather whatever middle distance and distance runners that were still standing and make our own 4x400 teams to run in the "b" heat as a fun workout. One of the standard teams was the 4xBill team.

(Yet another step OT...) Then there were the 1am-break-into-the-stadium-at-night-during-the-Penn-Relays and do the beer relay (4x400 where you had to drink a beer at every 100m). I did break 60 seconds (including the 3 beers-only the anchor leg had to drink a 4th) one year...

Ray
06-05-2006, 07:05 AM
(Yet another step OT...) Then there were the 1am-break-into-the-stadium-at-night-during-the-Penn-Relays and do the beer relay (4x400 where you had to drink a beer at every 100m). I did break 60 seconds (including the 3 beers-only the anchor leg had to drink a 4th) one year...
And you claim not to like performance enhancing drugs? :beer:

-Ray