PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Water Bottle

beeemmjay
01-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Has anyone tried this?

http://fabric.cc/shop/waterbottle/

Looks great to me, curious about real world grabability, stability, etc.
Looks like a winner to me...

icepick_trotsky
01-26-2016, 01:02 PM
I've been wanting to try one of these, too. It would be nice for track use so I wouldn't have to remove my bottle cage on race day.

It seems like replacing the bottle while riding would be a pain, though.

beeemmjay
01-26-2016, 01:08 PM
That's definitely the question!

...Also, had meant to post this parallel to the preceding post - re. Fabric ratcheting tool. didn't mean to add a detour.

dzxc
01-26-2016, 01:26 PM
It seems like replacing the bottle while riding would be a pain, though.

I've used them, like them. Surprisingly replacing the bottle isn't as annoying as one would think. Assuming you pull it out and take a drink without rotating the bottle. I have found that if I'm holding onto the bottle for a bit before taking a drink I kind of rotate it and then have to make a conscious effort to get it into position in my hand before returning it to the holding mechanism.

But I could see people preferring it. I personally prefer and pretty much exclusively use King Cage Ti cages.

MaraudingWalrus
01-26-2016, 01:29 PM
I just got some in my shop, along with the ratcheting multi tool. They look pretty nice. I think I'm going to throw some on my Belt Drive SuperSix for weight savings... I'll be sure to report back with my findings. I don't think they'll really be too fussy for re-engaging the bottle to the studs.

druptight
01-26-2016, 01:59 PM
I just got some in my shop, along with the ratcheting multi tool. They look pretty nice. I think I'm going to throw some on my Belt Drive SuperSix for weight savings... I'll be sure to report back with my findings. I don't think they'll really be too fussy for re-engaging the bottle to the studs.

What's the USD charge for one of the multitools in the shop?

eippo1
01-26-2016, 02:05 PM
It would be sweet if they used some magnets to help guide the bottle to the studs.

MaraudingWalrus
01-26-2016, 02:06 PM
What's the USD charge for one of the multitools in the shop?
Retail is $60. But because it's housebrand Cannondale stuff, the margin is huge. I know I'd do a way better price than that for a regular.

rugbysecondrow
01-26-2016, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't like anything that proprietary, that is my opinion though.

William
01-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Looks interesting.

I wonder about lining it up while on the move? If you have to fiddle it a bit it may not be the right choice if you're fussy about the paint on the DT.

William

likebikes
01-26-2016, 03:37 PM
i seem to remember huffys from toys r us coming with a remarkably similar waterbottle "system" in the 90s.

Hilltopperny
01-26-2016, 03:57 PM
I like the fabric knurl tape and have put it on 3 of my bikes since trying it. These cages look like a pretty good idea if they work correctly and don't scuff up the frame. Would like to hear a long term review of them. The fabric stuff I have seen thus far seems nice and can be had at very reasonable prices if you shop around. I bought the knurl tape from my lbs and then found it on ribble for a fraction of the cost. I ended up ordering 4 more.

bicycletricycle
01-26-2016, 04:04 PM
I don't get this product, weight or aero or??? why?

I guess the track bike makes sense.

beeemmjay
01-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Happy to hear your positive comments on the bar tape - also on my list of small components to try.
The Knurl tape looks great on screen, I haven't seen it anywhere firsthand.
Have you used any leather tapes in the past? If so, how would you compare the two? I've been riding with the Adarga leather tape for the last number of years, and think it's great.

MaraudingWalrus
01-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Happy to hear your positive comments on the bar tape - also on my list of small components to try.
The Knurl tape looks great on screen, I haven't seen it anywhere firsthand.
Have you used any leather tapes in the past? If so, how would you compare the two? I've been riding with the Adarga leather tape for the last number of years, and think it's great.

I really like the tape.

Have you ridden (or felt) prologo one touch gel tape? I swear it's the same stuff. Very much the same as the unbranded tape that comes on lots of mid-range Cannondales, too.

Bruce K
01-26-2016, 04:09 PM
I use magnetic bottle mounts on bottles on my cx bike when doing pre-rides.

They work OK but I have lost a few on road rides and had to drop back to retrieve. The first time folks were OK. After that, not so much.:eek:

BK

berserk87
01-26-2016, 04:10 PM
This might also come in handy for my TT bike. I train with bottle cages but remove them for TT's. It gets kinda old having to remove and re-install the cages a bunch of times during the season.

kgreene10
01-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Would also be good for the coupler travel bike. Having one less thing to assemble/disassemble would be welcome and for some reason, dealing with the cages always bugs me.

Veloo
01-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I've got the Vincero Designs one as well.
Popped out a few times but I only use it on my leisure bike since the triangle is a bit tight. Saves a bit of space.

Wasn't crazy about the bottle spout on the VD one. The Fabric bottle looks like a more conventional design.

I'd try it if our dollar wasn't so crappy right now.

pavel
01-26-2016, 10:05 PM
i wonder if this design would put more strain on your downtube since all the weight of the bottle is being supported by 2 bolts? Is the weight more evenly distributed in a conventional cage?

berserk87
01-27-2016, 08:07 AM
i wonder if this design would put more strain on your downtube since all the weight of the bottle is being supported by 2 bolts? Is the weight more evenly distributed in a conventional cage?

That is a great question.

My guess is that any difference in load on the down tube between the two would be insignificant. The tube is already designed to accommodate some load bearing with a regular cage and bottle. I doubt that any extra burden that might be imposed by the fabric system would be enough to cause an issue. Probably talking ounces here, not pounds, if there is any difference.

MaraudingWalrus
01-27-2016, 08:43 AM

Additionally, the cage is supported by those same two bolts, so I can't imagine the stress to the frame would be all that different.

beeemmjay
01-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Seems like all opinion points to yes - these are 100% worth a try. They aren't super $$$, and personally, I love the idea of NOT seeing an empty cage on the seat tube during a shorter single bottle ride.

CircuitHero
01-27-2016, 04:54 PM
But then aren't you locked to the same 2 bottles for every ride or per bike? Unless you buy a bunch of them I guess.