PDA

View Full Version : Any leads on where to get a King SS rear wheel? (MTB)

p nut
01-26-2016, 11:46 AM
I've been looking at purchasing a rear wheel for my MTB. I've always liked King, so that's what I'm going with. I looked at Colorado Cyclist, but no SS option available. If I can't find another vendor that can get SS rear hubs, then maybe I'll go with them, as they're priced fairly well (~$550 with Crest).

I'm looking for a SS King ISO hub, 29er Crest rim (32h). Can't find a decently priced option locally or online. Ebay has a wheelset for $950 or so, but don't necessarily need the front.

Thanks for any leads.

bikinchris
01-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Why don't you just have a good wheel builder do it? Although I could build a good wheel. I've only done a few thousand.

DRietz
01-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Any bike shop with a QBP account can order you one of these hubs.

Confused what your question is? "Decently priced" on a wheel built with an American-made hub would be retail, unless you want used.

eBAUMANN
01-26-2016, 04:48 PM
depends how urgently you need it, they pop up pretty cheap from time to time on ebay and elsewhere.

A1CKot
01-27-2016, 05:32 AM
PM sent. I've got a pair of King single speed wheels I'm not using.

oldpotatoe
01-27-2016, 06:01 AM
PM sent. I've got a pair of King single speed wheels I'm not using.

There ya go and as I mentioned, these hubs, when new, are expensive. Great hubs(altho a little complicated for my taste, for a bike hub), made in the USA, with good, protected distribution. So, if you can find one for much less than $500, for the rear hub..good on ya mate!.

And for right below. stans seems intent on winning the weight wars when it comes to rims. I have built enough of these to not want to build any more of them. Funny thing about too light stuff as a wheelbilder..kinda like the french bridge builder who....well there's a joke there but you build one poorly designed wheel and you are known as the crappy wheelbuilder..so no thanks..editorial out.

jmal
01-27-2016, 08:03 AM
I would be wary of a SS rear wheel with a Crest rim unless you are a super flyweight. SS puts a ton of stress on the rear wheel and Crests are pretty flimsy.

p nut
01-27-2016, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the inputs and PM's. I've replied to them all.

Those of you that aren't fond of Crest: What rims would you suggest that is in the same weight range? I was looking at WTB KOM (60-80g more). I like the width (23-25mm), but no experience with them. I've personally not had any issues with Stans rims in the past, which is why I was going to go with one. I weigh 160lbs.

jmal
01-27-2016, 10:44 AM
If you like Stan's rims, I would go with the Arch. I just think the Crest is pushing it a bit for a SS rear wheel. It will work but longevity is questionable. I'm heavier than you and take it a step further and ride Flows. Even the Flow rim is not that heavy. Im always amazed how light the Flows feel when I change tires. In the old days most 26" narrow rims were just as heavy. I'm not weight conscious though. I think on a mtb a few grams is not noticeable. Tires have a more perceiveable impact than a few grams in a rim. There will always be someone that claims they ride Crests into the ground and have never had a problem, but I have seen too many fall apart. I have no direct experience with the KOM rims, but I would take a chance on them before a Crest just because.

Mikej
01-27-2016, 10:52 AM
I would be wary of a SS rear wheel with a Crest rim unless you are a super flyweight. SS puts a ton of stress on the rear wheel and Crests are pretty flimsy.

Hmmm...what say ye the Forum? I'd say same stress as any wheel, the chain, chain wheel, cog and patella tendon take the beating.

jmal
01-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Hmmm...what say ye the Forum? I'd say same stress as any wheel, the chain, chain wheel, cog and patella tendon take the beating.

Gears allow you to take it easy if you choose. SS requires you to constantly put out a ton of power if you ride in hilly areas. This I believe translates to more stress on the rear wheel. More stress on much of the bike as well. Of course you can just keep a geared bike in a stiff gear and place the same stress on the bike, but that is not how most people tend to ride. Regardless, I think weight savings in the rear wheel of a mtb are a bad idea unless you are going with carbon that can be made both light and strong. I ride backcountry mountain trails and saving a few grams is not worth a 15 mile hike out of the mountains lugging a bike with a broken wheel.

Edit: you can't add stress to the cog, chain, knees, etc. and then say that the object of all that force, the wheel, is not getting it as well.

Pelican
01-27-2016, 12:19 PM

I'm going to say my SS King hubs are less "stressed" than a regular wheel.

You can build them up stronger since they have less space given up to the cassette. I'm sure some of the pro wheel builders can comment on flange to centerline distance or whatever. I'm not really good at building wheels.

Mikej
01-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Gears allow you to take it easy if you choose. SS requires you to constantly put out a ton of power if you ride in hilly areas. This I believe translates to more stress on the rear wheel. More stress on much of the bike as well. Of course you can just keep a geared bike in a stiff gear and place the same stress on the bike, but that is not how most people tend to ride. Regardless, I think weight savings in the rear wheel of a mtb are a bad idea unless you are going with carbon that can be made both light and strong. I ride backcountry mountain trails and saving a few grams is not worth a 15 mile hike out of the mountains lugging a bike with a broken wheel.

Edit: you can't add stress to the cog, chain, knees, etc. and then say that the object of all that force, the wheel, is not getting it as well.

The sum of torque must equal zero. You snap chains, not rims. Imagine this, riding with a 42t rear cog is causing MORE stress to that rear hub driver due to the leverage of the height of the cog. Smaller cog = less stress on the driver.

jmal
01-27-2016, 02:18 PM
I'm neither an engineer nor a physicist, but the leverage argument seems to assume that all things are equal. I know from a lot of SS riding that the rear wheel takes a great deal more punishment than my geared bikes. People ride the two bikes differently. I will concede that the wide flanges help with the strength of the build. I still maintain that the Crest is a flimsy rim for real mountain biking. That is the important point here. That and that my observations come from real world experience riding SS and geared mtbs in rugged environments. I don't know too many SS riders that actually spend a lot of time on their bikes that opt for weight weenie wheels unless they are carbon. Just my observations.

rodcad
01-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Try contacting Bob Ukitis. He had a great set of wheels for sale:

robertt8883 Posts: 1,491

Brand New 29er SS Wheelset built by Mike Curiak(Pics Added)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its been a while since i have been on the Forum.I have for sale a brand new set of 29er Single Speed wheel set built by the famous Mike Curiak out of Co.These were built for a Don McClung SS i was having built.Brand New never use,never a cassette mounted. Phil Wood Polished SS Hubs-32 Spoke- New Tubeless tires front and rear.Front tire Schwalbe racing Ralph Rear tire Bontrager Expert.Zero miles. I paid $1100 trying to find receipt i will take
$650 plus shipping.Can send pics upon request

I just received an email from Mike Quote:
Phil Wood high flange hubs in high-polished silver, 32h.
Velo Orange Raid rims in high-polished silver.
DT Swiss Competition butted spokes in silver.
DT Swiss alloy nips, silver.

I don't have a record of the purchase price, but I'd estimate it was in the neighborhood of $1000 to $1100.Without the tires

jmal
01-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Try contacting Bob Ukitis. He had a great set of wheels for sale:

robertt8883 Posts: 1,491

Brand New 29er SS Wheelset built by Mike Curiak(Pics Added)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its been a while since i have been on the Forum.I have for sale a brand new set of 29er Single Speed wheel set built by the famous Mike Curiak out of Co.These were built for a Don McClung SS i was having built.Brand New never use,never a cassette mounted. Phil Wood Polished SS Hubs-32 Spoke- New Tubeless tires front and rear.Front tire Schwalbe racing Ralph Rear tire Bontrager Expert.Zero miles. I paid $1100 trying to find receipt i will take
$650 plus shipping.Can send pics upon request

I just received an email from Mike Quote:
Phil Wood high flange hubs in high-polished silver, 32h.
Velo Orange Raid rims in high-polished silver.
DT Swiss Competition butted spokes in silver.
DT Swiss alloy nips, silver.

I don't have a record of the purchase price, but I'd estimate it was in the neighborhood of $1000 to $1100.Without the tires

That would be a very curious wheelset for a mtb.

Fatty
01-27-2016, 09:33 PM
I've been looking at purchasing a rear wheel for my MTB. I've always liked King, so that's what I'm going with. I looked at Colorado Cyclist, but no SS option available. If I can't find another vendor that can get SS rear hubs, then maybe I'll go with them, as they're priced fairly well (~$550 with Crest).

I'm looking for a SS King ISO hub, 29er Crest rim (32h). Can't find a decently priced option locally or online. Ebay has a wheelset for $950 or so, but don't necessarily need the front.

Thanks for any leads.

Saw this today on MTBR.
Seller is asking $550 for the wheelset.
Might be worth checking out.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=101396&title=29er-chris-king-iso-disc-ss-rear-iso-front-on-notubes-arch&cat=10

dustyrider
01-27-2016, 10:59 PM

Thanks for any leads.

Someone posted the name, and I realized he's just the down the road. The dude is intense, and his builds stand up to his own riding. Check it out. Wheel-builder (http://www.lacemine29.com).