PDA

View Full Version : Fat bikes in Colorado

Mr. Pink
01-25-2016, 09:49 PM
I am travelling through Colorado on a major ski trip. Stopped in Crested Butte for a few days. As many of you know, a serious mtb town (they have a museum!). Well, if any of you are interested in the winter fat bike experience, this is your destination. Many bikes for rent, and a lot of flat cross country like trails to try it for the first time, with an advanced trail system being developed. They are serious about this. Looks like fun. I just skied, short stay. Check it out. CB is a cool town.

Steamboat and Breck also have rentals. This may be here to stay.

Benneke
01-25-2016, 11:43 PM
Are most of the MTB trails rideable on the fat bikes or do riders stick to the XC ski trails?

oldpotatoe
01-26-2016, 06:14 AM
I am travelling through Colorado on a major ski trip. Stopped in Crested Butte for a few days. As many of you know, a serious mtb town (they have a museum!). Well, if any of you are interested in the winter fat bike experience, this is your destination. Many bikes for rent, and a lot of flat cross country like trails to try it for the first time, with an advanced trail system being developed. They are serious about this. Looks like fun. I just skied, short stay. Check it out. CB is a cool town.

Steamboat and Breck also have rentals. This may be here to stay.

And if you stay in Boulder, drive up to Ned, go see the boys and girls at TinShed, rent a fat bike up there..hope you like wind..

merlinmurph
01-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Most importantly, how's the skiing? CB is a great place to be and there's been some good snow this year.

Mr. Pink
01-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Most importantly, how's the skiing? CB is a great place to be and there's been some good snow this year.

CB was pretty good, but, the best I found in Co. on my trip was Steamboat. Awesome base. Now I'm settling in my two month stay in Summit, which is pretty good, but needs some more snow. They say more is on the way. El Niņo has treated the western mountains well.

likebikes
01-26-2016, 09:57 PM
the 1st fat bike world championships start tomorrow in cb!

mgm777
01-26-2016, 10:19 PM
CB was pretty good, but, the best I found in Co. on my trip was Steamboat. Awesome base. Now I'm settling in my two month stay in Summit, which is pretty good, but needs some more snow. They say more is on the way. El Niņo has treated the western mountains well.

You want deep snow...take a weekend drive down to Wolf Creek in the San Juans, about 4 hours from Summit County(if your Summit is in in CO). WC has 110" at the summit, 82" at the base, $65 lift tickets, and all the pow pow you can handle. :)