PDA

View Full Version : Rattle in my new Richard Sachs

srice
01-25-2016, 07:55 PM
I just started to build my new Richard Sachs and while installing the headset, I noticed a rattle that I hope to fix before I notice it on the road. As I move the fork, I can hear something inside one of the blades bouncing back and forth. I don't know if it is a piece of flux, silver or who knows what. The fork blades have no visible vent holes to blast full of frame saver to cement the intruder in place. Any ideas?

djg21
01-25-2016, 07:57 PM
I just started to build my new Richard Sachs and while installing the headset, I noticed a rattle that I hope to fix before I notice it on the road. As I move the fork, I can hear something inside one of the blades bouncing back and forth. I don't know if it is a piece of flux, silver or who knows what. The fork blades have no visible vent holes to blast full of frame saver to cement the intruder in place. Any ideas?

Did you talk to Richard?

R3awak3n
01-25-2016, 08:00 PM
you will never heard it while you ride. I know you just waited a gazillion years and paid a gazillon dollars for it so you want it to be perfect but its probably nothing.

I would however talk to Richard, he does sometimes pass by here as well

srice
01-25-2016, 08:02 PM
you will never heard it while you ride. I know you just waited a gazillion years and paid a gazillon dollars for it so you want it to be perfect but its probably nothing.

I would however talk to Richard, he does sometimes pass by here as well

Not yet, I'll email him in the morning

R3awak3n
01-25-2016, 08:04 PM
do post pictures when you are done with it, I am sure it looks awesome :hello:

christian
01-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Tiny bit of flux in the fork. My Bianchi Mondiale had it. Willing to bet $100.

Dead Man
01-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Tag.. for build pics. ;)

AngryScientist
01-25-2016, 08:08 PM
Willing to bet $100.

$150 on twizzler bite.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AfvVLlvHNDU/UhgodHHeiKI/AAAAAAAAFLU/KD2SV1DOeYw/s1600/twizzler-tractor-craft.jpg

ultraman6970
01-25-2016, 08:10 PM
If the holes are covered by paint, just drop some glue or like paint inside, that will take care of the problem.

If there is no holes, then you have 3 options (unless RS has another idea)... 1 live with it.... number two, torch the dropout, doesnt need to be like red hot but just enough to burn what ever is inside (IMO probably flux). you did not like this one right? :D

The last option is to drill a hole, drop like paint or something that will dry inside.

Good luck with this one, that rattling gets people crazy :D

eBAUMANN
01-25-2016, 08:11 PM

Yup.

jmeloy
01-25-2016, 08:11 PM
Had the same and my builder said it was flux and it would break up quickly and I'd never hear it. He was right.

srice
01-25-2016, 08:14 PM
Had the same and my builder said it was flux and it would break up quickly and I'd never hear it. He was right.

I thought about that one - I may just shake the crap out of the fork and see if I can hasten the disintegration.

Louis
01-25-2016, 08:15 PM
You could spray some Frame Saver in there (probably should, anyway)

If you're lucky the FS will puddle a bit in the same spot at the bottom of the fork leg when the rattle culprit comes to rest, then evaporate and what's left behind will glue the thing in place.

Bob Ross
01-25-2016, 08:15 PM
$150 on twizzler bite.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AfvVLlvHNDU/UhgodHHeiKI/AAAAAAAAFLU/KD2SV1DOeYw/s1600/twizzler-tractor-craft.jpg

Came in to post ^^^this.

srice
01-25-2016, 08:22 PM
You could spray some Frame Saver in there (probably should, anyway)

If you're lucky the FS will puddle a bit in the same spot at the bottom of the fork leg when the rattle culprit comes to rest, then evaporate and what's left behind will glue the thing in place.

Can't do it - reread the original post

Louis
01-25-2016, 08:23 PM
Can't do it - reread the original post

Ooops - I didn't read that far down. Sorry.

In that case I'd just forget about it and ride the bike.

BumbleBeeDave
01-25-2016, 08:58 PM
. . . is perfection.

Or something like that.

ATMO.

:rolleyes:

texbike
01-25-2016, 09:26 PM
The rattling that you hear is probably just a piece of Sachsy-goodness that's solidified inside the fork. Should be fine, although it may not plane as well...

Texbike

fiamme red
01-25-2016, 09:45 PM
If the flux is from a flux capacitator, the Sachs may be capable of time travel. :p

oldpotatoe
01-26-2016, 06:25 AM

Yup, that's what it is. Heard it a couple of times in other forks. Really annoying with the fork in your hands, won't hear it when riding but kinda bad form for a frame/fork of this caliber/$.

Or it's a 1/8 ball bearing...a 'bike' joke..;)

Blown Reek
01-26-2016, 06:43 AM
. . . is perfection.

Or something like that.

ATMO.

:rolleyes:

That's what I was going to say! Maybe if he spent less time on the internet posting rambling musings that people find deep, his queue wouldn't be 10+ years long and stuff like this wouldn't happen.

But sell the sizzle, not the steak. After all, how many other framebuilders can build the exact same bike? It ain't magic, as much as people would like you to believe.

echelon_john
01-26-2016, 07:12 AM
Even if the vent holes on the blades are sealed, there are likely vent holes in the steerer through to the fork crown. (Not 100% sure Richard drills vents here but standard practice)

Remove the front brake, see if there are holes about 1cm up inside the steerer at 9 and 3 o'clock. If there are, Robert's your mother's brother and you can spray some framesaver in there and it should take care of the rattle.

srice
01-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Even if the vent holes on the blades are sealed, there are likely vent holes in the steerer through to the fork crown. (Not 100% sure Richard drills vents here but standard practice)

Remove the front brake, see if there are holes about 1cm up inside the steerer at 9 and 3 o'clock. If there are, Robert's your mother's brother and you can spray some framesaver in there and it should take care of the rattle.

There is a hole on just one side - this was the first place I checked after seeing no visible vent holes

pinkshogun
01-26-2016, 07:19 AM
swap it for a carbon fork

echelon_john
01-26-2016, 07:28 AM
Um, yeah.

There is a hole on just one side - this was the first place I checked after seeing no visible vent holes

redir
01-26-2016, 07:31 AM

Stiffer, lighter, faster, low road buzz... :D

Lionel
01-26-2016, 07:35 AM
Just ride it, you will not notice it on the road.

Black Dog
01-26-2016, 07:47 AM
That's what I was going to say! Maybe if he spent less time on the internet posting rambling musings that people find deep, his queue wouldn't be 10+ years long and stuff like this wouldn't happen.

But sell the sizzle, not the steak. After all, how many other framebuilders can build the exact same bike? It ain't magic, as much as people would like you to believe.

Come on now, ease up a bit there. Is he supposed to spend all his waking hours building bikes? He can have no other activity in his day lest he not be considered monastic enough? I think that he would agree with you that what he does is not magic and there are others that do it every bit as well as himself. I am no fan boy, at all, I just think your comment is a bit, well just a bit too much.

tigoat
01-26-2016, 07:56 AM

I have seen this problem with some carbon forks. I believe that road vibrations will eventually break debris up so I would just give it a go on the road.

dave thompson
01-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Come on now, ease up a bit there. Is he supposed to spend all his waking hours building bikes? He can have no other activity in his day lest he not be considered monastic enough? I think that he would agree with you that what he does is not magic and there are others that do it every bit as well as himself. I am no fan boy, at all, I just think your comment is a bit, well just a bit too much.

Thanks for writing that. Said with far more diplomacy than I was going to post.

druptight
01-26-2016, 08:18 AM
As with most things RS does, if you poke around his flickr feed for 5 minutes, you can figure out just about anything you want about his process. Based on the fact that he brazes his fork dropouts on first before brazing them into the crown and clearly leaves no vent hole down there, the only other place it could be is inside the crown. Looking at a bunch of days posts where he's building forks, couldn't find any evidence that he creates a hole through the steerer to vent the tops of the fork blades, but this post in which he totally destroys a fork that was finished slightly out of alignment clearly shows once he breaks the fork blades off that there appears to be no vent hole through either the side of the blade OR the side of the steerer (see pics towards end):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9866331@N08/albums/72157626430460936

benb
01-26-2016, 08:20 AM

LOL... more like running a big cyclocross team. It doesn't seem to come across much on the internet postings but his cross team is clearly a ton of work, and it sure doesn't sound like the riders on his team need to wait 10 years for a frame.

JasonF
01-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Jeez, arrows are getting flung around this morning. I guess anyone who broadcasts on the internet is considered fair game.

For the record, I own a Sachs (not built for me) and also own (or have owned) a Serotta Legend, Concours, steel Spectrum, Pegoretti, Seven Axiom, De Rosa, etc, etc...and simply like my Sachs the best.

One of the above, built just for me by a "legendary" builder had such a bad QC problem that it was unrideable until I could get it back to the shop for repair. Stuff happens and I contacted the builder directly, who fixed the problem with no drama. Seemed like the wrong path for me to start a thread on the problem rather than take 5 minutes and drop the builder an email.

oldpotatoe
01-26-2016, 08:46 AM
LOL... more like running a big cyclocross team. It doesn't seem to come across much on the internet postings but his cross team is clearly a ton of work, and it sure doesn't sound like the riders on his team need to wait 10 years for a frame.

A friend of mine visited Sacha White recently and asked about a Vanilla, he said, "you can't get a Vanilla..how about a SpeedVagen?" Hmmmm

I'll bet, if you visited Sacha or Richard with a thousand $ bill stapled to your forehead, I'll bet your wait would be 'shorter' than .7+ of a decade..Just MO, of course.

wooly
01-26-2016, 10:01 AM

May Sachs had this exact thing. Rattle in the fork blades. I never heard it when riding. I contacted Richard when I took delivery of the frame and he said it was a little bit of flux and would disappear in a few 1000 years. Haha - that's Richard for you. Enjoy the ride!

Mikej
01-26-2016, 10:03 AM
May Sachs had this exact thing. Rattle in the fork blades. I never heard it when riding. I contacted Richard when I took delivery of the frame and he said it was a little bit of flux and would disappear in a few 1000 years. Haha - that's Richard for you. Enjoy the ride!

Kind of a shame, I'd be really unhappy.

Tickdoc
01-26-2016, 10:08 AM
What size is the bike?

If it is anywhere from 55-57 standard geometry, I'll gladly take it off your hands, rattle or not.

DreaminJohn
01-26-2016, 10:22 AM
As my signature indicates, I'm a fan of Mr. Sachs AND his work so please take this with a grain of salt. I've defended him in the past although we've likely never been in the same zip code. If I wasn't struggling financially when there was word of his closing the list I would have gotten myself on said list.

This is a forum about bicycles. Not everyone agrees about stuff and that's good. REALLY good. I respect everyone's right to dissenting opinions. Not so much everyone's rights to take cheap shots. I believe it diminishes the stature of the poster and the Forum as a whole.

In this case the OP asks a question on a bike he's waited years for and you're taking shots at the builder? C'mon.

Tony T
01-26-2016, 10:25 AM
The OP should contact the builder, however, the builder frequents this forum, so lets wait to hear what he says
(or if the OP received a PM from him)

livingminimal
01-26-2016, 10:53 AM
It isn't "magic" but I take serious umbrage at the idea that some people are not better at making bikes than others. If you've had steel bikes from multiple builders, you know not all are the same or created equal, and you will develop favorites. You'll like some more than others. When you find the right bike, it can definitely feel like magic.

Len J
01-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Lot's of haters in this thread.

It's one of the things about this forum that raises it's ugly head sometimes.

IMO

Len

Tony T
01-26-2016, 11:07 AM
Lot's of haters in this thread.

I'm not seeing that.
I had to re-peruse the 3 pages, and I'm still not seeing "hate"

If the builder doesn't like any of the comments, he can just ban that user for life (…oh, wait, this isn't that "other" forum ;))

malcolm
01-26-2016, 11:12 AM
A friend of mine visited Sacha White recently and asked about a Vanilla, he said, "you can't get a Vanilla..how about a SpeedVagen?" Hmmmm

I'll bet, if you visited Sacha or Richard with a thousand $ bill stapled to your forehead, I'll bet your wait would be 'shorter' than .7+ of a decade..Just MO, of course.

email Richard and see what he says. I agree with the flux idea, it happens.

I don't think you could buy sachs at least with that kind of money. If you're a friend maybe and while I don't know him personally what I do know of him doesn't march to that drum

wooly
01-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Kind of a shame, I'd be really unhappy.

I was initially bummed but I got over it. It was a beautifully built machine and would have done it again with or without the flux magic.

Tony T
01-26-2016, 11:24 AM
After you complete the build and get it on the road you probably won't even hear it.

Enjoy!

…and post some pic's when the build is complete!

pdmtong
01-26-2016, 11:47 AM

The recent lugged vanilla(s) showing up are the result of getting on Sacha's list in 2008-9ish. I saw an article saying Vanilla production is about 15 units/year or less which means you effectively can't get one. He is building Vanilla by genre, in small batches so the days of order what you want when your name comes up are gone. They've clearly oriented the business around SV.

drewellison
01-26-2016, 11:55 AM
I had this issue with a nice Italian steel frame I bought on this forum. (That narrows it down.)
It's not always a case of "you won't hear it when you ride" because that's how I discovered it - the rattle happened when I rode. I didn't hear it at when I was building the thing up. The rattle was driving me crazy.
There were no vent holes in the fork at all - high up, down by dropouts, or inside crown. Fork was fully chromed.
So I took the fork to Bill Davidson, and he drilled holes on the inside of each blade up high. I could have done it, but I thought it best to get the blessing of a frame builder. Plus I figured he probably had a sharp drill bit.
Then I frame-savered the heck out of both fork blades. It took a few applications, yes, a few, and then the rattle finally disappeared.
Drew

Mikej
01-26-2016, 11:56 AM
I was initially bummed but I got over it. It was a beautifully built machine and would have done it again with or without the flux magic.

cool, I can see how it might take the wind out of your sail, but he makes a damn fine looking bike. What color?

chiasticon
01-26-2016, 12:06 PM
JUST BUILD IT AND POST PICS ALREADY!!! :bike:

William
01-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Just put some Twizzlers in your ears and ride it like you stole!! :banana:

http://www.funkedupfixies.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/stole-it.gif

:D:D

Enjoy!

William

soulspinner
01-26-2016, 01:25 PM
JUST BUILD IT AND POST PICS ALREADY!!! :bike:

YA MAN!:p

srice
01-26-2016, 01:38 PM
OK - here's my plan

As I really expected, nobody came up with the magically solution. I'll just finish the build and ride it. If I hear anything while riding, I will pull the fork off, add some vent holes inside the crown and blast the snot out of it with Frame Saver.

Oh, and the originally intent of the thread was not to blast RS. This is my second RS frame and if it rides anything like my first one, it will be at the top of my stable rotation (and this is competing against a Calfee, a Speedvagen and a Strong). I'm not dissatisfied with the frame, I noticed what is probably a nit and was wondering if there was any obvious fix before I finished building the bike.

mjb266
01-26-2016, 01:39 PM
to the guy with ~25 posts and a pile of negativity in his pants...just shut up.

azrider
01-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Shame on the OP for airing that crap out here instead of going to source first and shame to those who're judging a cat they don't even know.

FWIW I don't know, have never known, nor am a fan boy or hater of the guys work but jesus.....lots of ignorance in this thread.

velotrack
01-26-2016, 01:48 PM
I don't own a sachs, nor have I ever, but the amount of people happy with their purchases, even with the price tag and wait, makes me believe he is doing good work.

I don't build frames, nor have I ever, but I understand small mistakes can be made even by the best (in any field).

I don't do work 14 hours a day, and I post on online forums, so I expect Richard is allowed to not work 14 hours a day and post on his online forums too.

Let's step back and realize these framebuilders aren't in the game for powerball money, yeah?

rugbysecondrow
01-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Shame on the OP for airing that crap out here instead of going to source first and shame to those who're judging a cat they don't even know.

Sort of seems like you are judging the OP, then you denigrate others for doing what you just did.

The OP seemed to ask a reasonable question, no smack talk or dissing the quality.

kingpin75s
01-26-2016, 01:53 PM
I had the same thing on a Willits Type II fork of mine...and then I didn't.

Never noticed it riding and no longer makes the noise shaking the fork when not installed. It was only annoying when in my hand shaking it initially and then never an issue again...YMMV

azrider
01-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Sort of seems like you are judging the OP, then you denigrate others for doing what you just did.

The OP seemed to ask a reasonable question, no smack talk or dissing the quality.

When I have an issue with someone or something I was taught to go to the source.

Plus the guy later admits "as I expected no one has magic solution", well then why post it to begin with.

Lionel
01-26-2016, 02:05 PM
BTW my Sachs also had a bit of flux in the fork when I got it. Cannot hear it at all while riding and I am not even sure it is still in there. As I said, just ride it.:)

Keith A
01-26-2016, 02:06 PM
OK - here's my plan

As I really expected, nobody came up with the magically solution. I'll just finish the build and ride it. If I hear anything while riding, I will pull the fork off, add some vent holes inside the crown and blast the snot out of it with Frame Saver.

Oh, and the originally intent of the thread was not to blast RS. This is my second RS frame and if it rides anything like my first one, it will be at the top of my stable rotation (and this is competing against a Calfee, a Speedvagen and a Strong). I'm not dissatisfied with the frame, I noticed what is probably a nit and was wondering if there was any obvious fix before I finished building the bike.With this word from the person who started this discussion, I'm closing this thread. There's nothing more to be gained at this point.

William
01-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Duct taping a magnet to your fork blade? :rolleyes:

I think the two main solutions were covered: Leave it and forget about it, or get someone to open it up with vent holes and if it doesn't come out, framesaver it so it sticks inside.

The possible other option is at the discretion of the builder. Call RS to discuss....

Edit: Whoops, what Keith said...thread closed.

William