PDA

View Full Version : Fe

shinomaster
06-04-2006, 02:49 AM
I am wondering about Iron. Specifically I wonder if, as a cyclist in training for "MP" events, I should consume more than the average over-weight male American. Being slightly overweight myself I worry about heart problems because both of my Grandfathers died of heart attacks. They came out with a study recently that too much iron can lead to heart problems. I'm really not worried about dying yet, but maybe I should be eating extra spinach along with my carne asada? Or should I just stick to FDA guidlined like I always do?

Fat Robert
06-04-2006, 04:58 AM
eat what you like

don't overdo the stuff that will make you fat like me

moderation

ride your bike

CNY rider
06-04-2006, 07:01 AM
The average American, eating the average western diet, gets more iron than they need. Menstruating women are the exception of course as they are losing iron on a monthly basis. The body, under normal circumstances, is able to dispose of excess iron from the diet so it does not become toxic. Certain disease states make people unable to regulate their iron levels properly and iron can be dangerous to them. You can also overwhelm that normal iron elimination system with too much iron intake. That's why adult multivitamins don't contain iron.

Too Tall
06-04-2006, 07:03 AM
It would be hard NOT to get a sufficient amt. of iron in an avg. diet.

It is not a good idea to supplement iron without specific recommend from your doc after blood analysis.

Kirk Pacenti
06-04-2006, 07:32 AM
FDA "guidelines" are a joke.

Ginger
06-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Yep, unless you have certain diseases that contribute to iron deficiency with/or a blood test to back the certainty that you are iron deficient, I wouldn't bother.

That said, I started following the diet for celiac sprue and suddenly I don't have enough iron in my blood. That was never a problem before. Very odd.

If you do supplement, find an iron supplement that has ferrus fumerate as it is more available to your body.

Or just have another dang steak a week. My understanding is that lean red meat has the most available iron or easiest for your body to take up....

No, I'm not a doctor, I'm a patient. So go ask your doc about all of the above before you jump on any of it.

Fat Robert
06-04-2006, 09:12 AM
FDA "guidelines" are a joke.

listen to the man with the heavily armed cat

kp is not mp

chrisroph
06-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Shino:

A nice cheeseburger, fries and a good brew at a mcmenimans is all you need, and a little spinach now and then.

The way you can climb, I want to remove some of your iron on occasion.

Skrawny
06-04-2006, 11:15 AM
The average American, eating the average western diet, gets more iron than they need. Menstruating women are the exception of course as they are losing iron on a monthly basis. The body, under normal circumstances, is able to dispose of excess iron from the diet so it does not become toxic. Certain disease states make people unable to regulate their iron levels properly and iron can be dangerous to them. You can also overwhelm that normal iron elimination system with too much iron intake. That's why adult multivitamins don't contain iron.

I second the good Dr CNY.
Also Iron really constipates!
-s

shinomaster
06-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Shino:

A nice cheeseburger, fries and a good brew at a mcmenimans is all you need, and a little spinach now and then.

The way you can climb, I want to remove some of your iron on occasion.

Me, climb??...no you must have me cornfused with another guy. I eat plenty of the red meat--more that I maybe should, and some raw veggies like spinach. I thought a cyclist might need more iron to rebuild red blood cells. It would seem not. Thanks, and I'll stop taking my girlfriends (womans) multivitamins.

Kirk the FDA is always right. ;)

Fixed
06-04-2006, 02:27 PM
bro I 've never been there but I would think the nort west I have been on my bike in the bad lands , red lodge , the black hills and utah .and that was cool
cheers bro eat 5 fruits and 5 veggies everyday I bet you have a great place to ride right now . and at least 1 gallon of water a day
butch

shinomaster
06-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Fixed, when the rain stops Portland is almost perfect.

Fat Robert
06-04-2006, 05:31 PM
fe was really good but flubber was souled american's best album

hey

and my buddy smitty played rhythm on a couple of their tours