PDA

View Full Version : Strava conundrum: how can someone who doesn't follow me see my roller ride

echappist
01-25-2016, 01:02 PM
i have the so-called enhanced privacy settings, which means only people who follow me can see my activities. On Saturday, I had an a**-numbingly long ride on my rollers because of the snow, and to my surprise, someone I do not know gave me kudos. I understand that such is possible for outdoor rides when people can access your activity via segments, but this is the first instance i know of when someone accessed my roller rides. Or perhaps is there a setting i'm not enabling? Either way, it's kinda strange, to say the least...

stien
01-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Was your GPS still on? Maybe someone saw you on a "fly-by". That's a setting you can turn off. Segments is kinda flawed as you can get in through those. Not so hard.

chiasticon
01-25-2016, 01:06 PM
you can still see indoor rides for people, they just don't show a map if you have the "hide my house" setting on. and as long as your whole account isn't private, anyone can look through your rides.

fwiw, I used to turn GPS off on my garmin, just to be safe. but eventually I stopped uploading indoor rides anyway.

Davist
01-25-2016, 01:13 PM
As above.. Privacy settings usually show a map of the world, without a location for my friends that have them. Although, I don't upload the roller fest(s) either.

a bit OT, but I noticed that Zwift rides now have an elevation gain in them what the heck is that?

echappist
01-25-2016, 01:14 PM
i turn off GPS indoors as i get otherwise weird speed data and stop/start issues, and my apartment is blocked off in privacy setting.

really strange.

or perhaps there was a bug in how my privacy settings were implemented? perhaps for those who are on strava, let me know if you could see the sole ride from last Saturday my profile here (https://www.strava.com/athletes/163497)

makoti
01-25-2016, 01:14 PM
I had this happen once. The guy was apparently giving kudos to EVERYONE on Strava. Had some insane # of people he was following.

Bostic
01-25-2016, 01:20 PM
I've had a few like that want to follow me. When I look at their profile, it's somewhere else far from where I live and they follow a million people.

Another person uses their account as an addition to their instagram feed. They have a million followers, each ride gets about 1000 kudos and 600 comments.

EDS
01-25-2016, 01:29 PM
i have the so-called enhanced privacy settings, which means only people who follow me can see my activities. On Saturday, I had an a**-numbingly long ride on my rollers because of the snow, and to my surprise, someone I do not know gave me kudos. I understand that such is possible for outdoor rides when people can access your activity via segments, but this is the first instance i know of when someone accessed my roller rides. Or perhaps is there a setting i'm not enabling? Either way, it's kinda strange, to say the least...

Are you part of any groups such that your rides, even indoor ones, show up in the group activity feed?

Keith A
01-25-2016, 01:29 PM
i turn off GPS indoors as i get otherwise weird speed data and stop/start issues, and my apartment is blocked off in privacy setting.

really strange.

or perhaps there was a bug in how my privacy settings were implemented? perhaps for those who are on strava, let me know if you could see the sole ride from last Saturday my profile here (https://www.strava.com/athletes/163497)I have a Strava account and when I click on your link, I can see your "Athlete Profile" which shows the following:
o last 4 weeks activities
o recent achievements (PR's, etc)
o graph of rides over the last year
o side by side comparison of you vs me with regards to the last 4 weeks, 2016 and all time.
o your name and location (city & state), team you are on, number of followers and how many you are following

However, I can't drill down and see any details about a single ride...or give you Kudos. BTW, I'm viewing this on their website and don't know how this compares to looking at your info on a smart phone or tablet app.

stien
01-25-2016, 01:30 PM

really strange.

or perhaps there was a bug in how my privacy settings were implemented? perhaps for those who are on strava, let me know if you could see the sole ride from last Saturday my profile here (https://www.strava.com/athletes/163497)

While I can't see any rides posted, I was able to click into your team's strava page and from there click into your "longest" 36.6mi ride from last week. "Lunch Ride", no gps data.

So if you're on a team or part of a group on strava that exposes your rides in addition to segments.

Keith A
01-25-2016, 01:34 PM
Stien is correct...and once on this page, I can give you Kudos for this ride :)

livingminimal
01-25-2016, 01:45 PM
All of my rides upload privately, I am then selective about which Ill share on the feed of my friends. Typically I am going to display stuff where I rode with other people or things I want people to see purposefully. Everything else, like my simple 10mile-I-have-no-time-for-anything-else I am going to keep private.

echappist
01-25-2016, 02:10 PM
While I can't see any rides posted, I was able to click into your team's strava page and from there click into your "longest" 36.6mi ride from last week. "Lunch Ride", no gps data.

So if you're on a team or part of a group on strava that exposes your rides in addition to segments.

Are you part of any groups such that your rides, even indoor ones, show up in the group activity feed?

good call, i think mystery solved.

Thanks for all the responses!

earlfoss
01-25-2016, 02:12 PM
I have noticed that some people who have turned their accts private can still be viewed normally by using the iPhone app.

josephr
01-25-2016, 02:20 PM
a bit OT, but I noticed that Zwift rides now have an elevation gain in them what the heck is that?

This is a fatal flaw IMO with the whole Strava thing....really irks me when I'm busting my ass climbing Shades Mtn in a cold wind while some dude sits in front of his TV watching basketball while he rides around some computer generated island.

echappist
01-25-2016, 02:37 PM
i'll gladly trade with you, though in this case you don't get to ride on a virtual island but in front of a TV showing past races (RvV and P-R preferred).

by the end of my ride, my Garmin was reading 50F inside the room, and i had snow blowing into my room the whole time.

tommyrod74
01-25-2016, 03:06 PM
This is a fatal flaw IMO with the whole Strava thing....really irks me when I'm busting my ass climbing Shades Mtn in a cold wind while some dude sits in front of his TV watching basketball while he rides around some computer generated island.

Eh, watts are watts and kilojoules kilojoules. If the guy you're referring to was honest when inputting his bodyweight, he's doing the work. Nothing magical about ascending vs. putting out the same wattage on a flat (or a trainer).

Many folks can't ride outdoors all the time (weather, family, job, etc) and it's a great alternative that allows you to build fitness despite an inability to get outdoors.

Comparing Strava resumes is a waste of time, to me, anyway.

benb
01-25-2016, 03:10 PM
I'm confused here.. if you use some of these newer apps does Strava actually give you credit for a segment that you rode "virtually"? (E.x one person rides Alpe d'Huez and the other rides a virtual version in Zwift or whatever.)

No matter what riding the real thing is still harder due to traffic, weather, etc.. if you were to compare time instead of watts, and of course watts are only watts if both users have real power meters. Strava's estimates without a power meter have plenty of flaws.

My trainer rides just seem to show up in the middle of the ocean or something with no track at all. I have my Garmin setup so that you actually say "Ride Indoors" and it doesn't use the GPS but you get all the other data.

kramnnim
01-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Regarding Zwift and elevation- the Zwift program gives your ride fake GPS data, along with fake elevation data.

benb
01-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Ah that's super weird that they're putting fake GPS data in... and it then adjusts the resistance on your high tech trainer to try and get times to be roughly equal to what you'd put down in the real world?

Definitely cool I guess but you'd think they'd put an asterisk into the segment rankings if they're going to include trainer efforts.

livingminimal
01-25-2016, 04:54 PM
Ah that's super weird that they're putting fake GPS data in... and it then adjusts the resistance on your high tech trainer to try and get times to be roughly equal to what you'd put down in the real world?

Definitely cool I guess but you'd think they'd put an asterisk into the segment rankings if they're going to include trainer efforts.

I don't think watopia exists outside Zwift

Strava also knows the difference between zwift uploads and not once th account is leaked.

I don't think PRs around the real Richmond course for instance are being threatened by Zwifts version. But I could be wrong?

benb
01-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Ah.. Gotcha, they invented a make believe place called Watopia? I have seen that in my feed but I've never looked into exactly what Zwift was cause I have no intention of spending new money on a trainer.

kramnnim
01-25-2016, 11:13 PM
There's a real island where Watopia supposedly is, yes. Not populated or anything.

You can use a power meter and rollers or whatever trainer, it just adjusts your on screen virtual speed to match your watts.

You can also just use a speed sensor if your trainer is "supported", IE one they tested enough to plot out the power curve. (often not very accurate)

Strava did do something to mark Zwift uploads as virtual rides, but not before the "real" Richmond leaderboards were filled up with Zwift rides...