PDA

View Full Version : X Files anyone?

denapista
01-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Born in 70's, raised in the 80's and survived LA 90's... The X Files was hands down one of the best shows of my youth.

Last nights episode was nuts! Kind of cool to see where some of the original players came from (Smoking Cigarette guy, the Scientists who grabbed the crashed alien, etc). X Files could honestly come back and intrigue society again with all of the new found things we know about the planets and other technologies that have been introduced to society since the 90's. There are endless amounts of weird stuff out there for Fox to make this a new series again.

josephr
01-25-2016, 11:44 AM
its a cash grab, just like Star Wars, Harry Potter and Hunger Games stretch out of the last to two movies, The Hobbitt....

Sorry to be so jaded, but I loved the X-Files and the last couple of seasons, it became all so stretched out and obvious the writers' were playing to continue the ratings and there was never to be any closure....don't even get me started on the movie. It just takes all the fun out of it when it becomes more like a soap opera and they're just toying with the characters' scripts as long as I'm still watching.

Bostic
01-25-2016, 11:50 AM
I watched it last night. Seemed like a ton of stuff thrown at it in just 60 minutes.

Didn't smoking guy have long hair, was in a cave of some sort and a missile took him out?

denapista
01-25-2016, 11:57 AM
I don't recall smoking guy getting taken out, but he probably has Alien DNA so he somehow survived.

purpurite
01-25-2016, 12:14 PM
Damn football game hosed my DVR recording of it. Not happy.

LJohnny
01-25-2016, 04:38 PM
It was a weak pilot for the uninitiated :-)

I think they need to up the quality. There is so much good TV nowadays that if it doesn't float it will sink fast. Now 6 episodes no big deal, but I hope it holds up well and they make more. I am a huge fan, but I am realistic re:the good quality of the competition out there. I will be watching tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony T
01-25-2016, 04:42 PM

It's on-line: http://www.fox.com/watch/607308867569/7756658688

bikerider888
01-25-2016, 04:53 PM
that was annoying to miss the second half of the show

Fox's online version is full of ads, even more annoying

Tony T
01-25-2016, 04:54 PM
I DVR'ed Fox News at 10 :)

If you have cable, check your OnDemand channel.

Tony T
01-25-2016, 05:12 PM
I watched it last night. Seemed like a ton of stuff thrown at it in just 60 minutes.

Didn't smoking guy have long hair, was in a cave of some sort and a missile took him out?

Yes.

NYT: The Cigarette Smoking Man of The X-Files Resurfaces (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/25/arts/television/the-cigarette-smoking-man-of-the-x-files-resurfaces.html?hpw&rref=television&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well)

When we last saw the Cigarette Smoking Man, The X-Files series finale in 2002, he was living as a guru in an old Anasazi settlement in New Mexico. Or at least he was, until a couple of black helicopters blew it and him to smithereens, seemingly ending his run as the story's nefarious conspirator and prime concealer of whatever truths may, in fact, be out there.

"I died at the end of Season 9, so what could they do?" William B. Davis, the actor who plays him, said recently. "I didn't have a whole lot of hope of returning."

But there he was in the final moments of Sunday's premiere of the new X-Files mini-series, comfortably ensconced in an undisclosed location, smoking through his tracheotomy hole. He looked battered, but remarkably well for a man whose face viewers saw incinerated by a missile 14 years ago. He will appear in two of the remaining five new episodes, and any insights about what he´s been up to, or how he is still with us, will have to wait until then.

pinkshogun
01-25-2016, 05:49 PM
episode 2 is on tonight at 8pm eastern time

makoti
01-25-2016, 07:38 PM

Same here. Had to watch on the Directv site via Hulu. Guess I will watch the SB, just so I know when to start the recording.

milkbaby
01-25-2016, 07:57 PM
I was never a zealot but enjoyed the odd X Files episode I watched now and then. I am a fan of kooky conspiracy theories and fringe thought and "science".

The first new episode showed some promise. I guess I'm not burdened with expectations that a true fan might have.

LJohnny
01-25-2016, 08:09 PM
Okay, I enjoyed tonight's episode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron O
01-25-2016, 08:18 PM
its a cash grab, just like Star Wars, Harry Potter and Hunger Games stretch out of the last to two movies, The Hobbitt....

Sorry to be so jaded, but I loved the X-Files and the last couple of seasons, it became all so stretched out and obvious the writers' were playing to continue the ratings and there was never to be any closure....don't even get me started on the movie. It just takes all the fun out of it when it becomes more like a soap opera and they're just toying with the characters' scripts as long as I'm still watching.

Exactly - x-files overstayed its welcome by a solid 3 seasons and two movies.

Come up with new ideas and stop recycling stuff for its automatic audience.

Also - damn straight on that star wars movie...I don't undertand what people see in it. Exceedingly mediocre.

regularguy412
01-25-2016, 08:27 PM
I was an X-Files fan. And I actually kinda like the new twist on the story. " U.S. Government Steals Alien Propulsion Secrets And Also Uses Secret Testing on U.S. Citizens to Build a Master Race".

At least this story line is a bit more plausible than the previous years' lines. And if this new version 'flies', it may actually have a place to 'go', so to speak. The Government is always a good whipping boy and it can't be offended. :)

I liked the first two installments so far, and I'll be watching next week, too.

Mike in AR:beer:

MattTuck
01-25-2016, 08:35 PM
I think my all time favorite x-files episode was Bad Blood. It is worth rewatching if you don't remember it. (Season 5, episode 12) It was hilarious.

I agree on the 'myth arc' (I think that is the catch all title for the alien/conspiracy story that spanned the series) getting long in the tooth. The real interesting episodes to me were most the one-off cases that they worked. More of a twilight zone type of feeling.

Oh yeah, the jury is still out on this reboot. We'll see. I was a fan of the original, so I'll probably stick it out for these episodes. I wonder if the file cabinets were digitized and put on CD-ROMs after the x-files was shut down.

Tony T
01-25-2016, 08:47 PM
I think my all time favorite x-files episode was Bad Blood. It is worth rewatching if you don't remember it.

In my top 10

Mulder: [Investigating a body] Have you noticed that this man's shoes are untied?
Scully: Mulder, what's your point?
Mulder: This means something.

another good one was "The Post-Modern Prometheus"

Louis
01-25-2016, 08:53 PM
I'm working my way through the whole collection (on DVD) and am currently up to a few episodes in on Season #3.

Tony T
01-25-2016, 08:58 PM
I'm working my way through the whole collection (on DVD) and am currently up to a few episodes in on Season #3.

I'm considering getting the Blu-ray. 9 seasons for $130 isn't too bad a price.

Edit: Just notices that this is a "Deal of the Day" that ends in an hour. 57% off, so looks like I'll get it.

Seramount
01-25-2016, 09:26 PM
never watched the original series.

heard tons of hype about the new episodes, so tried to watch some the one that ran tonite.

blah, blah, blah...lots of endless chatter. kept waiting for something to actually happen.

got bored really quickly and surfed away never to pick it back up...

makoti
01-25-2016, 09:34 PM
episode 2 is on tonight at 8pm eastern time

Tonight?? I thought it was on next Sunday?

Tony T
01-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Ep 2 was on tonight. Ep 3,4,5, & 6 subsequent Mondays

Louis
01-25-2016, 09:36 PM

heard tons of hype about the new episodes, so tried to watch some the one that ran tonite.

blah, blah, blah...lots of endless chatter. kept waiting for something to actually happen.

Seramount, I didn't realize that you were only 14 years old! ;)

Mr. Pink
01-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Very bad acting. Felt that when I tuned in way back, and, hasn't changed.

Tony T
01-25-2016, 09:37 PM

Don't watch the new Twin Peaks on Showtime next year ;)

makoti
01-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Ep 2 was on tonight. Ep 3,4,5, & 6 subsequent Mondays

Thank God my DVR is smarter than I am & recorded it for me.

Scuzzer
01-26-2016, 12:02 AM

It's comforting in some sorta way. Mulder and Scully look different but they sound the same and act the same so if you close your eyes it's 1996 again. I never caught the original series when it first aired but I routinely used it to fall asleep a decade ago when it was played late at night. I'm pretty sure I've either seen or heard most of the original series.

I like the reboot even though I've only seen the first episode.

cinema
01-26-2016, 12:28 AM

it's always had a B vibe, that's its style. I thought the first episode was just washed up, pseudo intellectual/full of itself and uninteresting. lots of dialogue and terrible cgi. Like if a reddit community wrote an x files episode. it could get better with a different director next episode.

CampyorBust
01-26-2016, 02:33 AM
1st episode - Credit where credit is due, not half bad at all.

Whole season - Meh