PDA

View Full Version : IRD cassette shifting problem

madencbm
01-25-2016, 10:41 AM
I have been using campy 10-speed drive train with campy 12-29 cassette for 10 years with no problem on my tandem.

Recently installed IRD 11-32 campy-compatible cassette on tandem with campy brifters and campy long cage record derailleur.

1). Drivetrain is completely new: chainrings, cables, cable housing
2). Cable hanger alignment checked and fine
3). Recently looked at by 3 mechanics for an hour and a half at LBS.

No matter what is done, if adjust to work fine on smaller cogs, the chain ends up wanting to jump to next larger cog as shift to eighth, ninth and tenth largest cog while on repair stand. This happens most persistently while riding in middle chainring.

I it possible the the space between cogs if off, due to imprecision of width of yellow plastic spacers?

oldpotatoe
01-25-2016, 10:46 AM
I have been using campy 10-speed drive train with campy 12-29 cassette for 10 years with no problem on my tandem.

Recently installed IRD 11-32 campy-compatible cassette on tandem with campy brifters and campy long cage record derailleur.

No matter what is done, if adjust to work fine on smaller cogs, the chain ends up wanting to jump to next larger cog as shift to eighth, ninth and tenth largest cog while on repair stand. This happens most persistently while riding in middle chainring.

I it possible the the space between cogs if off, due to imprecision of width of yellow plastic spacers?

Measure the total height of the cogset vs a Campag one. Also measure cog width and spacer width, compare to Campag one. And Capt obvious says, it's a 10 cog cogset?

donevwil
01-25-2016, 12:39 PM
First off, Campy never made a 12-29 in 10 spd as far as I'm aware. Are you referring to 11 spd, 12-30, or 13-29 ?

Did you successfully run a Campy cassette on this "completely new drivetrain" ?

If you cross-pollinated your 10 spd shifters with an 8, 9 spd (or 11 for that matter) derailleur you can experience such an issue.

I have two IRD Wide Range cassettes currently running on Campy 10 and both shift very well. Not Campy well, but more than acceptably.

guido
01-25-2016, 12:44 PM
I use IRD 11-36 11 speed cassetts on my shimano drivetrain bikes. They shift fine.

AngryScientist
01-25-2016, 01:01 PM
(step 1) put in a different wheel with a different campy cassette and see if the bike shifts properly with that wheel

if yes - the cassette is the problem, if no - the drivetrain has another problem

(2) check cable friction
(3) check chain tension

i assume by your (2) you mean RD hanger, yes?

druptight
01-25-2016, 01:50 PM

Does item 1 include a new chain itself and you forgot to mention it? I could imagine that might cause issues if all else is new and the chain is stretched.

Another possible fix is that if its a spacer issue, can you take the spacers out of your 13-29 cassette and insert them in the IRD - are they all loose cogs?

OtayBW
01-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Yup - make sure chain will accomodate. Make sure RD can accomodate the 32 as well.

brianfaulkner
03-06-2017, 05:33 PM
Madencbm,
Did you get your 11-32 to work correctly and if so what solved your issue?