PDA

View Full Version : Burning upon urination.

Jeff N.
01-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Any of you guys ever experience burning upon urination at the tip of your unit after a Century or particularly long rides? -Jeff N.

shovelhd
01-25-2016, 10:46 AM
What are you eating and drinking and how often? This could be any number of things.

Lewis Moon
01-25-2016, 10:57 AM
Sounds to me like that little Bacchanalia down in New Orleans has caught up with you. Have you told your partners?

pro12tc
01-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Yes, in my case it was diagnosed by my doctor as prostatitis (an infection of the prostate). A week of anti-biotics cleared it up.

PFSLABD
01-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Yeah, but not after a century. It was 2 weeks after a romantic tryst with a beautiful lady friend of mine. Well, she wasn't a friend after that.

93legendti
01-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Yes, in my case it was diagnosed by my doctor as prostatitis (an infection of the prostate). A week of anti-biotics cleared it up.

Same here.

eddief
01-25-2016, 11:13 AM
Now I found it.

AngryScientist
01-25-2016, 11:15 AM

was this somehow related to cycling, or a just something that happened? What causes prostatitis

PFSLABD
01-25-2016, 11:17 AM
was this somehow related to cycling, or a just something that happened? What causes prostatitis

I know a guy who did have prostate problems that was directly related to his cycling. He gave up cycling for good. I wish I had bought his Litespeed from him, but I settled for my Lemond.

ColnagoFan
01-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Same here.

Thirded.

Ah PL, this is the kind of talk we gather around to exchange!

Jeff N.
01-25-2016, 11:22 AM
Whatever it was seems to have passed. I googled it and apparently it's not uncommon...they're calling it "Cycling Syndrome", caused by prolonged pressure on the urethra. And no, I haven't been dipping my wick into the wrong ink well. I'm retired from that craziness.:no:

Ti Designs
01-25-2016, 11:46 AM
I haven't listened to Joe's Garage in a while. Frank Zappa had all the answers...

Elefantino
01-25-2016, 11:58 AM
Prostatitis is caused by bacteria in the prostate that hides in the little crevasses in the organ. When it flares up it can cause painful urination, difficulty urinating, pain in the nether regions, etc. Cycling with a prostatitis flare-up can be most annoying.

Those of you who have had bouts of P cleared up with antibiotics are fortunate. Some of us have chronic P, which can never be eradicated. We're always between flare-ups, sometimes a matter of months or year(s).

The good news is that my urologists have all told me that constant use of the prostate promotes good prostate health. :banana::banana::banana:

93legendti
01-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Since the OP's issue has resolved:

http://youtu.be/wLRlbsBJhio

fuzzalow
01-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Whatever it was seems to have passed. I googled it and apparently it's not uncommon...they're calling it "Cycling Syndrome", caused by prolonged pressure on the urethra. And no, I haven't been dipping my wick into the wrong ink well. I'm retired from that craziness.:no:

Been there, done that.

Yep and it wasn't even a century that did it, it was trying a different fit & position solution that was no solution at all. What I did to myself was try to position a pelvis angle that winds up couldn't be maintained without core to keep the saddle pressure off the tender bits down there - not the on rocks but on the urethra. So the pelvis angle couldn't carry weight on the sitz bones (from being too upright) and ended up sitting upright which transferred weight forwards onto other organs. Man, it beat the hell outta me down there.

If you setup correctly, this should never happen. It is not just a saddle setback problem but also a reach to bars problem together. It is a terrible thing that this malady is viewed as a "not uncommon Cycling Syndrome".

Steve in SLO
01-25-2016, 01:23 PM
One other possibility is that if the tip of your penis was rubbing against something like the edge of your chamois or stitching, the urethral meatus (opening) may have become inflamed causing the burning.

eippo1
01-25-2016, 02:18 PM
I haven't listened to Joe's Garage in a while. Frank Zappa had all the answers...

I was going to quote a lyric from that album, any lyric, but then realized that it all would get filtered out.

To the OP, it sometimes happens if I have been unintentionally holding it for a while like during a long ride where I'm not out of the saddle very often. You might want to sort of tune in down there periodically when you stand to see if you should take a nature break.

Louis
01-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Whatever it was seems to have passed. I googled it and apparently it's not uncommon...they're calling it "Cycling Syndrome", caused by prolonged pressure on the urethra.

Too much pressure in the wrong place for too long.

If it becomes a problem try a different saddle. Used to be a relatively common problem for me back when I used a gel saddle. Can't remember the last time it happened, now that I use a Regal.