PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Carbones? Anyone?

merlinagilis
03-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Spilling over from a recent thread about the pro's using clinchers...

Has anyone here ever tried the Mavic Cosmic Carbones? Did you notice the extra weight (about a full pound heavier than, say, Zipp 404's and 303's, Ksyriums, etc)? Durability of the plastic composite fairing? How do these suckers roll?

EdK
03-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Carbones are very fast above 24-25 mph. Obviously they take more effort to get there then some of the lighter wheels but once there maintain speed and roll very well. They are excellent for crits and rolling roadrace type events where a group helps to ensure high speed is maintained. The fairing can be damaged especially if you hang the bike by the wheel.

Russ
03-30-2004, 12:31 PM
I am glad someone brought this topic, since I wanted to share something on this respect. I just talked to friends in Europe and they mentoned that they have seen a number of Cosmic Carbones on Pro riders' bikes that had the rims made of carbon completely. I verified this by looking at some pictures from cyclingnews.com article on Milano-San Remo bikes: http://www.cyclingnews.com/teamtech04.php?id=tech/2004/features/sanremo. Compare Cipollini's and Petacchi's wheels to Bettini's. Bettini is using the "old" version, while the other guys are using the full carbon.

Apparently these wheels are being tested for next year's release... I wonder if the full carbon rim would make them lighter?

PS
cyclingnews.com just posted another article on this issue: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/news/mar30

merlinagilis
03-30-2004, 12:55 PM
You'll probably also see even more pros moving back towards tubular tires if Mavic releases the all carbon version of the carbone. I wonder who is actually making the rim for them?

dbrk
03-30-2004, 02:18 PM
I've a pair of the Carbones from about three years back...a fella' sold them to me new, brand spankin' for about $450, 'cause I'da' never spent the money. I much prefer non-pre-builts. (The new Tufo glue is making tubulars again a really serious choice...I just hate gluing...) Anyway, my experience is that these wheels ride like none other I've tried (many, many others). They make any bike you put them on feel more stiff and on an AL the feeling is bone shaking. I like them on the C40 okay because that bike is so neutral, carbon-quiet. They don't seem to do anything better than any other wheels except when you are really hummin'...If you get yourself going reallyreally fast, say 25mph and above, then they kick in. This is true. I'm not sure there is science but that's definitely the case. Around here with so much climbing in every direction they offer no advantages. They look cool on zooty modern bikes, that's fersure.

dbrk

Matt Barkley
03-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Yeah I held back from posting to this thread. I think these wheels are great. Fast and COMFORTABLE - which no-one seems to talk about anymore with wheels. Its just weight and aero - but these wheels are aero - they roll in the field or off the front at speed and are durable and comfortable. All the lew ada zip (maybe nimble) are so light - I see guys riding them and don't want to ride next to them 'cause they can't keep their bike from twitching. ANyhoot - I like the Carbones. good expensive stuff. - Matt

Dude
03-30-2004, 10:25 PM
I've got some of the old ventos (basically the shamals, just with a few more spokes) and they roll really nice. Once you get them up to speed they are great, getting them there can be a little difficult.

I've only heard good things about the carbones. A friend of mine raced on them and said they were smooooth and fast, same thing with the ventos. I think they are pretty heavy but when you are getting pulled along by the pack, it don't matter mon.

Plenty stiff too, very responsive wheels. I like mine, and haven't had any problems with them.

csb
03-30-2004, 10:36 PM

zap
03-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Mine are 6+ years old and still going strong. Heavy as hell but as others stated, roll quite well at +25mph. Generally like to stay away from bigger hills with this set.

Matt-I agree that super light wheels are directionally responsive. They make so-so riders worse but good riders can still hold the line. Trust me :)

jerk
03-30-2004, 11:24 PM
the jerk has a couple of pairs of cosmic carbones of the tubular persuasion and thinks they are just great.....fast stiff reasonably light and seem to hold up well...they're preferable to ksyriums in just about any situation and are by far the best wheel mavic makes....they ain't ADAs but they brake better and seem just as quick on the flats and the rollys....pro issue wheelset through and through...the bontrager race x lite aeros are a little tougher but ride a little harsher and don't seem to be any stiffer torisionally....race x lites are lighter but not as fast....anyway...yeah.
jerk

Roy E. Munson
03-31-2004, 01:17 PM
A friend of mine bought a pair of Zipp 404's for race wheel's. He races 4 times a year and now common sense has prevailed and he is selling them. Would you recommend the Carbone's or the Zipp's?

EdK
03-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Carbones

chrisroph
03-31-2004, 01:20 PM
World Champ Larssyn Staley told me she really liked the way they rolled at high speed.

Legend_1970
03-31-2004, 01:57 PM
I have a pair of the Carbones, a little over 1000 miles on them. I find that they allow me to use a gear higher when rolling over 30 km/hr. Can't speak for the hills, not many around here. I only use 100 psi in them, so I'm probably not that hard on them.

RDP
03-31-2004, 01:59 PM
..The new Tufo glue is making tubulars again a really serious choice...I just hate gluing...
dbrk

DBRK,

Are you referring to the Tufo 'extreme' gluing tape? Have you tried it?

Richard

Legend_1970
03-31-2004, 02:07 PM
How much for the zipps your friend is selling?
Would he be interested in trading for a cannondale frameset I have sitting around??

Legend_1970
03-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Its black, 54cm, caad5, if anyone is interested. Looks hot with those new DA cranks, but probably better with Campy.

Roy E. Munson
03-31-2004, 02:36 PM

Roy E. Munson
03-31-2004, 02:45 PM