PDA

View Full Version : To split the crown race or not

rkhatibi
01-23-2016, 06:40 PM
I picked up a full carbon ENVE CX fork recently from the classifieds. While having the a new lower headset installed to support the 1.5" diameter, the LBS suggested that I should split the crown race because installing it normally might damage the fork. After some research I think their information is out of date. Also ENVE website says installing it normally is fine. I suspect older untapered forks were also less resilient.

However the benefits to splitting appear to be

1. no loss of functionality though aligning the split at the 3 or 9 o'clock position was recommended
2. ease of install/removal
3. can swap forks out quickly, seems to benefit MTBs who want swap forks out depending on the event.

The benefits aren't huge, but does eliminate the need to own another tool if I move the fork in the future. Has anyone done it and was there any noticeable difference?

kramnnim
01-23-2016, 06:48 PM
I bought a puller to remove a crown race from an Enve fork. Moved it to a frame that uses a headset with a split race, no issues. Wish they were all split. Though some non split races have a rubber seal attached to them...

Louis
01-23-2016, 06:54 PM
because installing it normally might damage the fork

Personally, I think it's nuts that any fork manufacturer would design and build a fork that was unable to accommodate a "normal" crown race without damage. (Unless they sold the fork and specifically said that one had to use a split race.) Of course you have to assume that the race to be installed is the correct size.

That's one of the areas of the fork that takes the highest loads regardless of the type of race used, so I would think that making it beefy enough to handle a non-split race would be easy.

I would say that if the fork manufacturer says that it's OK to use a non-split race I'd ignore the convenience of going split and use a "regular" race. Besides, buying more bike tools (in this case, a crown race puller) is always fun, and you don't have to do that now.

purpurite
01-23-2016, 07:39 PM
I have had King headsets forever, and on my recent build, I decided on the Hope headset, partially because of the split race. I have to say, it's awesome. Easy on, easy off, and not noticeable when everything is buttoned up. Kinda doesn't make sense to me now why they are all aren't like this.

Louis
01-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Kinda doesn't make sense to me now why they are all aren't like this.

Probably because "old style" ball-and-race non-cartridge bearing headsets can't be cut.

purpurite
01-23-2016, 07:51 PM
True, but how many new headsets are ball and race style? Most are sealed cartridge, that I know of. King, Cane Creek, FSA, etc.are all sealed bearing. I don't think any of them are using needle bearings, are they? Seems like a pretty simple modification for the manufacturer to make to allow a much easier install/removal of the crown race.

There has to be a simple reason why they don't do it with sealed cartridge type headsets. The Hope setup is really nice...

Ronsonic
01-23-2016, 07:52 PM
The split-race headsets are just too easy to ignore. So simple, works great. And as long as almost all recently produced sets are using cartridge bearings, why not.

I'm old, and half the parts on my bikes can be found on the Bikepro website, but I'm okay with not having to pound on my fork.

Mikej
01-23-2016, 08:34 PM
Wow I never heard of this. I've only had Kings for the past 20+ years.

rkhatibi
01-24-2016, 12:56 AM
I'm old, and half the parts on my bikes can be found on the Bikepro website, but I'm okay with not having to pound on my fork.

Ha, this mirrors my thinking exactly.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I'll do the standard install with no cutting this time, but consider it next time I purchase a headset.

Pelican
01-24-2016, 01:08 AM
I have an ENVE tapered RD fork and use a standard Chris King baseplate / crown race. No issues installing it, but I do tend to leave them on the forks once they are there. Easy if you just use King headsets on everything! :)

pdmtong
01-24-2016, 01:16 AM
I have an ENVE tapered RD fork and use a standard Chris King baseplate / crown race. No issues installing it, but I do tend to leave them on the forks once they are there. Easy if you just use King headsets on everything! :)

not only that, but pulling them sometimes chips the paint. split them or leave them....