PDA

View Full Version : Zwift Paceline Group Ride

bcroslin
01-23-2016, 04:40 PM
I wondered since snowmageddon has descended upon us if any other PL'ers who are on Zwift are interested in organizing a few group rides this week?

shovelhd
01-23-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm in for the ride. I have no idea how to get a ride into the Teamup calendar.

djg21
01-23-2016, 04:46 PM
I'm game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kramnnim
01-23-2016, 06:29 PM
Generally on sometime every day, so sure. Would be kind of funny if I have already been riding with Paceliners and didn't know it.

bcroslin
01-23-2016, 07:51 PM
Generally on sometime every day, so sure. Would be kind of funny if I have already been riding with Paceliners and didn't know it.

I did 40 miles today. I'm sure we weren't the only PL'ers riding Richmond.

shovelhd
01-23-2016, 08:47 PM
I did the CTS ride today.

livingminimal
01-23-2016, 09:05 PM
It's pretty much impossible for me to reach decent speeds. Not sure what the problem is short of I am using a power meter and a mag trainer and not a smart trainer.

kramnnim
01-23-2016, 09:38 PM
It's pretty much impossible for me to reach decent speeds. Not sure what the problem is short of I am using a power meter and a mag trainer and not a smart trainer.

If you have the power meter paired as the power source, things should be working properly...don't need a smart trainer.

shovelhd
01-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Speed is irrelevant on Zwift. It's all about the (real or perceived) ewang.

R3awak3n
01-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Speed is irrelevant on Zwift. It's all about the (real or perceived) ewang.

well but your speed depends on your power, more power more speed. I love zwift but I am terrible at it, being a big guy and using your real weight will do that to you. Still its super fun and I am going to jump on it in a few

djg21
01-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Maybe we should all add a suffix to our Zwift user names, such as "(PL)"?

kramnnim
01-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Well, I show up as M. Minn. Suffix varies. L25 kit.

shovelhd
01-24-2016, 03:03 PM
well but your speed depends on your power, more power more speed. I love zwift but I am terrible at it, being a big guy and using your real weight will do that to you. Still its super fun and I am going to jump on it in a few

You are making my point.

carpediemracing
01-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Well, I show up as M. Minn. Suffix varies. L25 kit.

Huh. A.Sato (XPO). I prefer one of the early kits (blue/white, says Zwift on it).

bcroslin
01-28-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm about to hop on Zwift to warm up for the 8:30 Richmond group ride. I've got a (PL) after my name if anyone is interested in joining in.

ergott
01-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Where are these group rides posted?

carpediemracing
01-28-2016, 07:50 PM
I haven't been on Zwift in a while, mainly because I can't. Other than being deathly ill I also happened to have lost the computer that ran Zwift.

My only Zwift compatible computer bit the dust, I think a hardware failure. I can't get it diagnosed at this point, meaning I'm literally unable to go to an Apple store. So for now that computer is sitting to the side, waiting.

Realized I had something that might work, a desktop upgrade that happened to be 64bit that I bought but never actually built. It was to be a guts-upgrade of a big desktop I had that had a power supply failure, and I decided to upgrade everything while I was unplugging everything. Pretty solid spec CPU, motherboard, RAM. Reusing all the drives. When I was building it I thought I was missing something.

Yep, this board didn't have an onboard video card, and I never ordered one. I realized after the fact that I decided to order the card when I actually did the upgrade so as to get a reasonably decent card (I know myself well enough that the upgrade may not happen for years). I don't have any compatible with it so that desktop is now sitting to the side also.

Good news is that I can order a video card so I will.

bcroslin
01-28-2016, 08:48 PM
Where are these group rides posted?

Go here: https://www.facebook.com/gozwift/

and subscribe to their events

I did the Richmond Rally tonight and saw at least one other PL'er (Mark?) on the ride. I got dropped on the downhill somehow and then chased like a madman and then my trainer crapped out and that was that. I nearly got back to the front group but after my trainer dropped the signal the second time I was done. Sigh.

Anyway, overall I got 33 miles in and it was just as hard as any local training ride. It was a blast when I was with the group and I definitely think we should try and organize a PL ride sometime soon.

ergott
01-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Thanks!

shovelhd
01-28-2016, 10:03 PM
I did a lap of the underground race at 9:30. The way this works is you set your computer date back a day before you log in, log in, and set it back. This puts you in the course from the day before, which in this case was Watopia, while all the other 650 riders were on Richmond. There were about 15 of us at the start, split into two groups, A/B and C/D. I rode C based on my ZTR category. Took the green jersey on the first sprint, got away a couple times and chased down, then pulled out after a lap since I have to work tomorrow. I've done a bunch of rides and races on Zwift and it's a very different experience when you have the course to yourselves.

shovelhd
01-28-2016, 10:04 PM
There is also a ride calendar on Teamup.com.

kramnnim
01-28-2016, 10:19 PM
TGIF ride on Fridays at 8 PM EST is a nice easy pace. Richmond does make it kind of annoying with the trio of hills.

andrew+
01-29-2016, 12:53 AM
I'd love to join in on a Paceline group ride. I've been on Zwift a lot recently.

If your trainer signal is dropping (the power drops to 0 randomly), you probably need to get a USB extension cable to plug your ANT dongle into.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable--Male--Female/dp/B00NH11PEY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454050359&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+extension

shovelhd
01-29-2016, 05:08 AM
I use a 16' powered Belkin extension and a Garmin dongle with no issues.

Gat64
01-29-2016, 05:31 AM
I did a lap of the underground race at 9:30. The way this works is you set your computer date back a day before you log in, log in, and set it back. This puts you in the course from the day before, which in this case was Watopia, while all the other 650 riders were on Richmond. There were about 15 of us at the start, split into two groups, A/B and C/D. I rode C based on my ZTR category. Took the green jersey on the first sprint, got away a couple times and chased down, then pulled out after a lap since I have to work tomorrow. I've done a bunch of rides and races on Zwift and it's a very different experience when you have the course to yourselves.

Location doping! I love it!

bcroslin
01-29-2016, 07:38 AM

That's what people were talking about! I was wondering since I was seeing some chatter about turning dates back.

bcroslin
01-29-2016, 07:40 AM
I'd love to join in on a Paceline group ride. I've been on Zwift a lot recently.

If your trainer signal is dropping (the power drops to 0 randomly), you probably need to get a USB extension cable to plug your ANT dongle into.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable--Male--Female/dp/B00NH11PEY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454050359&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+extension

Good to know. I've got one of those laying around somewhere. I'll give it a try.

54ny77
01-29-2016, 09:06 AM
would any of you mind describing the actual physical setup you use for zwift? meaning, how do you have everything connected? apps, wires, etc., and particularly for those who have a computrainer.

for reference, my basement bike trainer setup is a computrainer, my android smartphone, and a t.v. with chromecast, which i use to watch youtube videos of bike races streamed from my phone.

i looked at the zwift app while on the phone but couldn't really understand the pricing, so i gave up.

thanks for any tips. :beer:

bcroslin
01-29-2016, 09:18 AM
would any of you mind describing the actual physical setup you use for zwift? meaning, how do you have everything connected? apps, wires, etc., and particularly for those who have a computrainer.

for reference, my basement bike trainer setup is a computrainer, my android smartphone, and a t.v. with chromecast, which i use to watch youtube videos of bike races streamed from my phone.

i looked at the zwift app while on the phone but couldn't really understand the pricing, so i gave up.

My setup is a Tacx Bushido, Mac Mini (2012) running Zwift, ant+ dongle and an iPhone 6 running the Zwift iPhone app. I have the mini hooked up to my TV. It works pretty well except for the occasional signal drop that I'm hoping the USB extension cable will fix.

54ny77
01-29-2016, 09:36 AM
pardon my ignorance, but what is ant+ dongle, and how is it used?

also, i take it your mac computer is hooked up to your tacx trainer via a usb cable, right?

bcroslin
01-29-2016, 09:54 AM
pardon my ignorance, but what is ant+ dongle, and how is it used?

also, i take it your mac computer is hooked up to your tacx trainer via a usb cable, right?

Here's a Garmin dongle (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/usb-ant-stick-/prod10997.html) but I picked up a generic one off Amazon for $18.

The Bushido is self powered so it connects via Ant+ to the trainer as well as some Bluetooth magic I believe. It's all pretty easy to set up but I had to update my Bushido trainer firmware after unpacking it to get it to work.

Last night was kind of a game changer for me. Being able to participate in a virtual group ride sounds a little goofy but it was actually a lot of fun. I can sit on the trainer and spin 185-250 watts for 45 mins tops but trying to keep up with a group kept me engaged and I could have easily done it for 90 mins or so and not gotten bored. Swift isn't perfect but it's just going to keep getting better I'm sure.

shovelhd
01-29-2016, 11:31 AM
To use Zwift you must have at least an ANT+ speed sensor and a dumb trainer. If your dumb trainer is one that's listed Zwift will apply a power curve to it. Your Computrainer needs to be ANT+ compatible in order to work as a smart trainer.

My setup. Not much else I could add.

Tacx Bushido TDF set up for ANT+ FE-C power meter control.
Garmin ANT+ dongle on Belkin 16' powered USB extension.
Powered USB hub to power the extension.
Lenovo laptop with dedicated graphics adapter on an adjustable conductors stand. N600 wifi.
HP 28" monitor connected via HDMI to laptop.
SRM power meter with PC8 display.
Separate 19" HDTV with cable receiver and DVD player.
Gemini mixer with cable receiver and DVD player audio inputs.
MPow Bluetooth 4.0 USB transmitter. Power from USB hub. Audio from mixer.
MPow Swift Bluetooth sport headphones.
Max Air 20" commercial floor fan.
Dedicated trainer wheel (Mavic Aksium) with Tacx blue trainer tire.

kramnnim
01-29-2016, 11:33 AM

Lots of people using Computrainers and Zwift. CT connected to PC via USB, and...I'm not sure you even need an ANT+ stick. The computer does need to be 64 bit and somewhat new. The app adds a few functions but you need the program to be running on the computer for it to do much.

Pricing is $10/month, 2 months free if you connect a Premium Strava account. There is also a short period where you can test it for free.

kramnnim
01-29-2016, 11:35 AM
https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/204002479--Setting-up-a-Computrainer

I think I have seen complaints about their CT not working with their Mac recently, not sure if it is widespread.

shovelhd
01-29-2016, 11:35 AM
If the CT is connected via USB, will it function as a smart trainer? If you have a power meter, can it control the CT and provide power data to Zwift?

andrew+
01-29-2016, 11:44 AM
I use a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer with Zwift. It communicates via ANT+ with my macbook air from ~2012. I had to buy an ANT+ "dongle," but it appears that Bluetooth support may be coming soon.

One thing that's great about my smart trainer is that Zwift adjusts its resistance automatically on the trainer depending on whether you are ascending or descending. So, going down you have to really spin to put out watts, and going up I often find myself out of the saddle. Also, when in "workout mode," Zwift adjusts the resistance to hit the amount of watts you are targeting for that interval segment, no matter what RPM you are spinning. I believe this is called "ERG mode" or something similar.

As bcroslin said, it really feels like you're riding with other people - it adds just enough of a social component to make indoor training far, far more compelling.

shovelhd
01-29-2016, 11:47 AM
It will also adjust for the draft and for power ups.

djg21
01-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Lots of people using Computrainers and Zwift. CT connected to PC via USB, and...I'm not sure you even need an ANT+ stick. The computer does need to be 64 bit and somewhat new. The app adds a few functions but you need the program to be running on the computer for it to do much.

Pricing is $10/month, 2 months free if you connect a Premium Strava account. There is also a short period where you can test it for free.

With a Computrainer, you need neither a powermeter, an Ant+ dongle, nor any sensors (apart from the CT cadence sensor and polar HR meter sensor that works with the CT). Download Zwift and it will scan the USB ports for the FTDI adapter used to attach the Computrainer. It's plug-and-play!

shovelhd
01-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Good to know, thanks!

54ny77
01-29-2016, 03:02 PM
cool, this is helpful.

do you have to have the cadence sensor?

any idea if i can run zwift off of my android phone? i have an old desktop i can use if need be, but am trying to do as much of this via bluetooth so as to avoid cords. and not have to use an older flatscreen t.v. as a computer monitor (it doesn't have as high a resolution, i think it's 720).

With a Computrainer, you need neither a powermeter, an Ant+ dongle, nor any sensors (apart from the CT cadence sensor and polar HR meter sensor that works with the CT). Download Zwift and it will scan the USB ports for the FTDI adapter used to attach the Computrainer. It's plug-and-play!

bcroslin
01-29-2016, 03:27 PM
cool, this is helpful.

do you have to have the cadence sensor?

any idea if i can run zwift off of my android phone? i have an old desktop i can use if need be, but am trying to do as much of this via bluetooth so as to avoid cords. and not have to use an older flatscreen t.v. as a computer monitor (it doesn't have as high a resolution, i think it's 720).

You have to run the main Zwift application on a computer. You only use your phone to monitor activity and to interact with other riders.

kramnnim
01-29-2016, 03:59 PM
Again, computer needs to be 64 bit and somewhat new or fast. As in it might run on a high end PC from 2009, or a low end one from 2-3 years ago.

54ny77
01-29-2016, 04:09 PM
thanks bcroslin & kramnnim.