PDA

View Full Version : 6 riders of team Giant-Alpecin injured in head on accident with a car

Gsinill
01-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Training camp in Spain, car drove on the wrong side.
Sounds horrible, according to AFP, one of the riders was injured severely, including "functional injuries" (whatever this means).
Looks like they are talking about John Degenkolb; he apparently also needs reconstruction of one of his index fingers (according to Der Spiegel, German news magazine).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/degenkolb-haga-involved-in-giant-alpecin-training-camp-accident/

roguedog
01-23-2016, 04:22 PM
:eek::eek::confused::confused:

sucks. here's to those injured and hope that the worst is they miss out on some races and nothing more.

Tickdoc
01-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Oh my, what a shame. Hopes for speedy and full recovery.

LJohnny
01-23-2016, 04:35 PM
that sucks, I was just watching that Clean Spirit movie today as I am stuck in the blizzard.

All the best wishes for a speedy recovery, man that just sucks

moose8
01-23-2016, 04:40 PM
That's horrible. I've been in the area the last two weeks and have seen at least ten or so pro teams out training - etixx- quickstep, bmc, lotto post, Caja rural, Tinkoff, novonordisk, osterhous-coop, kinan (I think that was the name - a Japanese team), a Ukrainian team, and a bunch of others. The roads are super narrow and wind back and forth like crazy. One dumb driver could do a ton of damage obviously. Today on a drive up into the mountains we passed at least 30 cyclists and they were all descending incredibly fast but were well within their side of the road on some serious hairpin turns - I was thinking that with my skill level it'd be easy to overcook some of the corners but these guys all make it look easy. It sounds like everyone is in stable condition so I hope they all end up ok.

Lewis Moon
01-23-2016, 04:40 PM
Horrible. Godspeed in their recovery.