PDA

View Full Version : torque spec for seatpost bolt?

fierte_poser
06-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi all,

Is there a torque spec for the seatpost clamp blot? The bike/post in question is a steel fierte with a thomson elite post.

Thanks,
Kent

Bud
06-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Good question, Kent. I just installed the same post on the same frame yesterday! Not knowing the answer, I used German torque specs: gudentiht.

Too Tall
06-03-2006, 08:57 PM
The torque spec. is for the binder itself not the post in my opinion...campy does ,however, list a specific spec. for carbon posts. Whatever :rolleyes: You can use something north of 88 inch lbs as a guide. Strange as this sounds..you should go by feel and visual clues.
Campag spec for carbon post as an example:
Seatpost binder (carbon) 10 N.m/7.4 lb.ft/88 lb.in

Michael Katz
06-03-2006, 09:26 PM
In my experience, the torque specs for seat posts are often overstated so that you end up mashing the gap in the clamp ends. I have used 45 lb-in very successfully with carbon posts as well as ti posts without any slippage. As explained to me by Tom Kellogg, the key is DO NOT lube the posts. If you are worried about corrosion, pull the posts out occassionally, clean the inside of the seat tube, let the seat tube air out occasionally and you should have no problems. If you lube, you end up over tightening to eliminate slippage. I've followed his advice for the last 3 years without any problems of corrosion, seizing, sticking or seat post slippage whatsoever using both ti and carbon posts in ti and carbon seat tubes.

Chief
06-03-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't recall where I got these torque specs so use them at your own risk.

The original file is an excel file that cannot be attached here so I have used a text file instead. Save the file to your computer and open it with excel as tab delimited. Hope this works for you.

Peter P.
06-03-2006, 10:36 PM
According to the Park Tool Book:

36-60 in/lbs. on a Campy binder bolt. I think it's safe to say this could also apply to ANY seatpost clamp.

raven
06-03-2006, 10:42 PM
[URL=http://www.serotta.com/pages/repairs.html]

ada@prorider.or
06-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Hi all,

Is there a torque spec for the seatpost clamp blot? The bike/post in question is a steel fierte with a thomson elite post.

Thanks,
Kent

as what the mechanics do in the tour
the torgue is half a turn before braking

obtuse
06-04-2006, 09:35 AM
as what the mechanics do in the tour
the torgue is half a turn before braking

wrong. it's replace the bolt after you break it and don't tighten it quite that tight next time. in the whole tour de france there is probably not one torque wrench. but at least smoking cigarettes while glueing tubular tires is still encuraged.

obtuse

rePhil
06-04-2006, 05:50 PM
wrong. it's replace the bolt after you break it and don't tighten it quite that tight next time. in the whole tour de france there is probably not one torque wrench. but at least smoking cigarettes while glueing tubular tires is still encuraged.

obtuse

I would be surprised to find that there are no torque wrenches used by team mechanics.
It's not much more time consuming.

ada@prorider.or
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
well the problem is not torgue here
the problem is clamping froce thatīs the issue here

becuase lots of people holding it selve to torgue force nand expect then that is enough for clamping the sadle

but that something totaly differant
becuase there is also a fiiting space of sadle seat post here

of course one has to do with the other but torgue on a bolt says only something about the max stress in the bolt
and really nothing about the fitting of the seat post here

i understand lots of people confuseīs this but is the fitting force is not right constructed then the torgue of the bolt would only help not overstress the bolt

so with all the specs of bolts it would not help you to determine the clamping force,what is really needed here